• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well, it has nothing to do with memory, it has everything to do with someone shooting a certain movement.

I wrote a few paragraphs about this and just deleted them all because it just segwayed into a whole thing. I am sure someone will finally chime in with something and we can expound from there.
    Suffice it to say, keep your eyes on the hands because those are what kill you. I try my best to determine a weapon until I cannot afford any more time trying.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Your right, memory is wrong, it should be perception under stress. I thought it was interesting that the "observer officer didn't necessarily see the same things as the active officer.
    As a motorcycle rider I am intrigued by what people do and don't see, since apparently car drivers often don't see motorcycles.

A lot of what people see is what they expect to.

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gorilla_experiment.html

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Excellent. This is a critically important topic that many instructors do not cover or spend too little time on. Understress, we are not able to mentally process information as quickly and often will misperceive and over or under react.

There are a lot of great resources on this topic, this group frequently posts research on it and is among the absolute best: http://www.forcescience.org I recommend you subscribe to their ~monthly emails and read their free articles.

Force Science is the research and application of unbiased scientific principles and processes to determine the true nature of human behavior in high stress and deadly force encounters. Force Science's groundbreaking, reproducible studies address real problems encountered by law enforcement officers on the street and are meticulously documented.

The Force Science Institute is the umbrella organization under which three Force Science divisions function; the Force Science Research Center, the Force Science consultation division and the Force Science training division.

The Force Science Research Center is dedicated to scientifically determining and fully understanding the true physical and psychological dynamics of force encounters by conducting groundbreaking research into officer and suspect behaviors during rapidly unfolding, high-stress confrontations.

The Force Science Consultation Division provides expert support that will help attorneys, judges, jurors, review board members, investigators and others responsible for determining the appropriateness of officers’ behavior during force encounters to better understand the scientific realities surrounding these events as revealed by Force Science studies.

The Force Science Training Division makes training available that will educate administrators, trainers, investigators, attorneys, officers and other legal professionals on Force Science findings and will help facilitate the application of Force Science concepts during their investigations, training and work in the field.

Force Science training classes are available for agencies to purchase. Generally, our two-day program is recommended, but in instances where that is not possible, we do offer a one-day option. There are no restrictions relative to more than one agency working together to purchase and fill a Force Science class. In fact, many agencies work in tandem to bring the program to their area. For details on pricing and the program, visit the Training Information page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom