• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I guess it depends on where it happens and what news source initially breaks the story. In MD, you're probably right. In Southwestern VA, the attitude is just the opposite.

In southwestern VA, regular people can get concealed carry permits or openly carry without a permit.

All I'm trying to say is, if you used a gun to kill an attacker in Md, and you did not have a permit for it, you're DONE. You would loose everything you owned, and would spend the rest of your life in prison. I don't think I could live with that.
    You can't say certain things on an open forum.............

Maybe, maybe not... You just never can tell.

But I do know that I'd rather be on trial than dead. Maybe you know something more about death than I do... But from what I understand of it, I'll gladly take my chances with shooting someone while carrying illegally IF my only other alternative is being dead.

"spending the rest of my life in prison" assumes a lot of things. As long as we're discussing hypotheticals, let's go all-out, shall we? Let's say I shoot someone in defense of my life while carrying without a permit.

Not every shooting is neat and tidy with good witnesses and useable evidence. Would-be criminals who get shot and survive make lousy witnesses, because they will usually lie about how they got shot so as not to admit to a crime. If there's no physical evidence (DNA, casings, prints, blood, video, location telemetry, ect) it makes it much harder to process. So perhaps I might not be so inclined to call the police and report shooting someone in self defense (illegally carrying) if it seems like I have a decent chance of disappearing instead. Then come the rest of the hypotheticals - If I get caught. If I get charged. If I get a jury that convicts. If I get a sentence incredibly out of proportion for other similar shootings. If I lose my appeal. If I don't make parole - ever. I spend 40+ years in jail...

There's a lot of likelyhood that a lot of things above don't happen - starting with not getting caught.... As I said - I'd rather take my chances than be dead. There's nothing hypothetical at all about being a defenseless murder victim. That pretty much ends the same way, every time.

I don't believe in reincarnation.

Last edited:

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Maryland law allows for them to decide you had a good reason to carry in court and dismiss that charge.

Also to piggyback on to what mudskipper is saying, I think that a good guy with a gun making an absolutely clean shoot on a bad guy could be a good catalyst to change laws positively. Imagine if somebody was shooting up Montgomery mall or something. Say somebody completely squeaky clean ends the shooting. You don't think that might make people stop and think?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I got mine. My wife got hers. I even concealed carry in the parking lot of my daughter's school (legally) when I pick her up. I've had two pistol purchases and the wait time at the FFL was just a few minutes.

It must be nice living in America...

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Maryland law allows for them to decide you had a good reason to carry in court and dismiss that charge.

Also to piggyback on to what mudskipper is saying, I think that a good guy with a gun making an absolutely clean shoot on a bad guy could be a good catalyst to change laws positively. Imagine if somebody was shooting up Montgomery mall or something. Say somebody completely squeaky clean ends the shooting. You don't think that might make people stop and think?

You have too much faith in idiots.
    http://www.guns.com/2014/06/29/stor...-employee-during-stabbing-posts-no-guns-sign/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom