• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I shot a ppq with a 5" barrel so it wasn't a direct comparison. I still think the hk feels better in my hand, which is totally a subjective thing. I also like the hk sights better.

I like my PPQ, but I've heard so many good things about the VP9 I was wondering if it would be worth it to own both.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't think it's necessary to own both. Given the choice, I side with HK. But no matter which you choose, I don't think you NEED to own both. :shrug:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I don't think it's necessary to own both. Given the choice, I side with HK. But no matter which you choose, I don't think you NEED to own both. :shrug:

My thoughts exactly. If I had neither, I'd get a VP9. If I had a PPQ (I've shot one and I don't like it) and liked it then I definitely wouldn't *need* the VP9.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    How does the VP9 compare to the PPQ? Has anybody shot both?

Not surprising, but it's a popular comparison. From online reviews that I've read, many give a slight nod on ergos to the VP9, and many give a slight nod on the trigger (especially the shorter reset) to the PPQ.

See post 70 here of a Calgun member's comparison ...
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=975377&page=2

Another Calgun member does a detailed trigger comparison ...
    http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1037140

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Not surprising, but it's a popular comparison. From online reviews that I've read, many give a slight nod on ergos to the VP9, and many give a slight nod on the trigger (especially the shorter reset) to the PPQ.

See post 70 here of a Calgun member's comparison ...
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=975377&page=2

Another Calgun member does a detailed trigger comparison ...
    http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1037140

Ive heard the same thing, but after shooting both I prefer the trigger on the HK. Yes, the walther did have a SLIGHTLY shorter reset but the vp9 had a cleaner break(maybe its just me) and that's what I value the most.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm curious to compare the two. Only have one HK currently, a USP 40 Compact that I'm finally getting more proficient with. Indoor ranges with targets on a wire have been immensely helpful.

Other than my revolvers, the PPQ is the most accurate firearm for me, and outperforms my semi-automatic fixed barrels (which are my next favorites). Even at 25 yards, it's money, and I can pick up the sight picture fast. However, the second shot sight picture is sometimes delayed more than I like because of muzzle flip if my grip is off. The VP9's lower bore axis has appeal in this regard, and as others have stated, a smaller frame version especially with a shorter pistol grip could be very enticing. I've gone with the Walther P99 Compact with the clean-breaking AS trigger as my PPQ counterpart for now.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I have a PPQ in 40, and think it probably has the best trigger I have shot. I am currently waiting to bring my VP9 home from the LGS. I was able to rent a VP9 this past weekend at Continental and after shooting it a had to have it. I think the VP9 will replace my PPQ as my daily carry gun. Actually I recently got a HK P2000sk and have been carrying it but I still think I am more proficient with the PPQ.

After checking out the HK P30 compact I think I will get that as well. Once MSP give their blessing. :mad54:

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Ive heard the same thing, but after shooting both I prefer the trigger on the HK. Yes, the walther did have a SLIGHTLY shorter reset but the vp9 had a cleaner break(maybe its just me) and that's what I value the most.

have to take model variation into account.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    BenL range report? I held one and was impressed.

I put 500 rounds through it with the factory mags and a 30 round mag that I picked up from HKparts.com ( variety of 110gr and 124gr ammunition.) Combat accurate, good trigger... no issues.

I do have one problem with it, though. It is almost too ergonomic.

I am left handed; when I grip the pistol correctly with a two-thumbs-forward grip, my thumb *just* touches the slide stop. The slide stop is so sensitive, that the pistol doesn't lock back on the last round. (a quick Google search indicates this is a common problem.) It is really aggravating, but I really like the pistol so I may take it to a gunsmith to see if he can shorten the slide stop. ( no, I'm not going to change my grip.)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I put 500 rounds through it with the factory mags and a 30 round mag that I picked up from HKparts.com ( variety of 110gr and 124gr ammunition.) Combat accurate, good trigger... no issues.

I do have one problem with it, though. It is almost too ergonomic.

I am left handed; when I grip the pistol correctly with a two-thumbs-forward grip, my thumb *just* touches the slide stop. The slide stop is so sensitive, that the pistol doesn't lock back on the last round. (a quick Google search indicates this is a common problem.) It is really aggravating, but I really like the pistol so I may take it to a gunsmith to see if he can shorten the slide stop. ( no, I'm not going to change my grip.)

Use that riding the slide stop as a malfunction drill. I have been doing that for years on my Sig 229 and it is just part of my rituals of shooting.
    Shoot to empty
    get 1 more trigger pull (nothing)
    lock slide back
    mag exchange
    drop slide with release
    get back on target

or

no lock back
    mag exchange
    rack slide
    get on target.

Users who are viewing this thread