• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Agreed ...

Mud,

As far a I know, most of the threats are not much more than butthurt chest thumping. I can understand Mr. Akins dilema especially after the major a$$ raping the atf gave him. As far as I understand it, he could have sued every individual who ever made a similar product for their own personal use. And he probably would have won at least a couple hundred bucks per case since that is basically all that he would have been "damaged".

I'm sure any case against someone using only their own body parts to bumpfire would be thrown out on it's ear. As well as the possibility of his patent being at least partially dismissed.

One thing I do think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Akins for is the fact that he brought bump firing "technology" into the 21st century.

First rule of 'patents' ... protect it or lose it. It's unfortunate that he's being made out to be the villan, but patents have fallen by the wayside without the rigerous pursuit of copies by the holder. The gov'mnt, as usual, does little to enforce the law.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    First rule of 'patents' ... protect it or lose it. It's unfortunate that he's being made out to be the villan, but patents have fallen by the wayside without the rigerous pursuit of copies by the holder. The gov'mnt, as usual, does little to enforce the law.

Not really. As long as a patent holder keeps paying the renewal fees they keep the original patent - barring it not being nullified by prior art/use. I guess that is part of the reason patents expire after 20 years.

You may be thinking of trademark/copyright infringement issues.

The .gov does NOTHING to enforce intellectual property violations. They are merely the Constitutional vehicle. Imagine that?;)

Enforcement is entirely up to the IP owner.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Most countries require there to be a commercial intent (i.e. you're building something to sell) before infringment can be construed. As usual, the monky U.S. statute includes an opening line that states:

35 U.S.C. 271 Infringement of patent.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States, or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.

Stupid, you shouldn't be held responsible for something you do for your own use. I wonder how many times I've fixed something for myself or a friend and "manufactured" a part/solution that is patent protected. Which technically places me in violation of the law. No one can have knowledge of EVERY patent in existence. I can see doing a patent search if you plan on marketing something, but according to the statute you are liable for personal use. Just insane.

I'm sure any case against someone using only their own body parts to bumpfire would be thrown out on it's ear. As well as the possibility of his patent being at least partially dismissed.

Which is the part of the patent that I found fault with.

It's one thing to have a device, which you invent, which does something. Great, congratulations, I hope it's a success. I hope I can be just like you one day.

It's another matter entirely to say "see how I'm holding this object with my arms? Well YOU can't do that. You can't hold your arms that way".

It's the degree of obvious over-reach in the "isometric tension" language of the patent that makes it hard to be sympathetic. I don't even understand why the original patent holder put that in there - it seems like a poison pill almost, an item to be focused on and exploited in order to have the whole patent partially or completely overturned.

I was bump firing my grandfather's M1 carbine from the hip with nothing but my thumb and a belt loop from my Wrangler jeans when I was 12 years old.... Long before the AA was thought of. My grandfather taught me how to do that. He learned it from someone else in the 1940's.

Who should hold that patent?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I've read the original thread, I think from arfcom, where Akins was threatening going after people for violating his patent, including those that just wanted to build one for themselves. He managed to turn public opinion away from compassion and sympathy for the guy who clearly got screwed by the ATF with almost unbelievable speed and efficiency. Now, whenever I come across the name Akins, the word "jackass" conjures itself up in my head before "bumpfire" does.

Focus more on your ideas than your ego, and you might actually go somewhere, dude.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Most countries require there to be a commercial intent (i.e. you're building something to sell) before infringment can be construed. As usual, the monky U.S. statute includes an opening line that states:

35 U.S.C. 271 Infringement of patent.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States, or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.

Stupid, you shouldn't be held responsible for something you do for your own use. I wonder how many times I've fixed something for myself or a friend and "manufactured" a part/solution that is patent protected. Which technically places me in violation of the law. No one can have knowledge of EVERY patent in existence. I can see doing a patent search if you plan on marketing something, but according to the statute you are liable for personal use. Just insane.

But patent infringement is a civil issue NOT a criminal issue so it is entirely up to the patent owner to bring civil charges against any violator. That is why IP infringement "victims" usually only go after big cases. The juice isn't worth the squeezin' in the smaller cases.

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    Just returned home yesterday from the Shot Show in Las Vegas. Yet to come are lots of pics and videos of the Bumpski and AA2 bumpfire stocks in operation taken at the range in Vegas.

Here one video of the spring-less AA2 (Akins Accelerator version 2) bumpfire stock in operation up now (not the Vegas Shot Show videos, those are forthcoming later). It is operated solely by human isometric muscle tension.
    This video says it all......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxCX3UtqnJQ

Here's a peek at an accessory yet to come. A stationary, perforated barrel shroud that the barrel reciprocates back and forth in while the sights remain stationary on the shroud. These pics were taken back in 2006 right after I designed, built and tested the shroud for the first time on an original Akins Accelerator stock of mine. But the shroud will also fit the new springless AA2, giving it that PPSH look or more correctly Italian Beretta sub gun from WW2 look. Have yet to test it with a drum mag. Not in production yet but coming.

2412833250099763970S600x600Q85.jpg

2225017790099763970S600x600Q85.jpg

2798649910099763970S600x600Q85.jpg

Another peek of a not yet available 3rd prototype design of mine for a mini MG dress up kit for the Ruger 10/22 that utilizes crank fire operation. Can be adapted to fit MG tripods too. When GSG gets their 110 rd drum mags finally imported to the U.S., it will be even more fun to shoot than with 50 rounders and will really justify the water cooled version. This 3rd prototype is about finished but will still be a little while until available.
    2860550480099763970S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

STV_Keith

Feb 1, 2012
    Great to see/hear that a new Akins stock is being produced and marketed.

Bill, I bought one of the original Akins Accelerators from you back in the day and still have it in the box (after returning my spring to ATF). Will there be an upgrade kit to retrofit the new parts to the old stock?

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    Great to see/hear that a new Akins stock is being produced and marketed.

Thanks, much appreciated Keith.

Bill, I bought one of the original Akins Accelerators from you back in the day and still have it in the box (after returning my spring to ATF). Will there be an upgrade kit to retrofit the new parts to the old stock?

There sure is Keith. I asked Fostech to do that and they agreed. Just contact Judd at Fostech Outdoors and let him know you are a former Akins Accelerator (version 1) customer and that you want your stock retro-fitted for the Akins Accelerator 2 (AA2). Then send him your stock with the linear motion assembly included, but without the Ruger 10/22 in it. I'm personally picking up the cost for the parts and labor (not including the Kidd's trigger pack nor the fore end pistol grip) for retro-fitting my former customers stocks to the AA2 configuration. Just something I wanted to do for my former original AA customers.

However, I nor Fostech Outdoors can pick up the cost of the Kidd's trigger pack nor the fore end pistol grip. It costs Fostech Outdoors $300.00 for the Kidd's trigger pack and they don't sell it at a profit. I am unsure of what the fore end pistol grip costs but about any pistol grip that fits a picatinny rail will work. So $300.00 of the $629.00 total price for the AA2 stock is the Kidd's trigger pack cost. Which means Fostech Outdoors does not profit on that but only profits on the $369.00 left that they receive for a AA2 stock after you deduct the $300.00 price Fostech has to pay for the Kidd's trigger pack.

Fostech Outdoors will not sell the stock without it though because through experimentation it has been found that using the Kidd's trigger pack insures consistent isometric operation over factory trigger/hammer or aftermarket trigger/hammer setups. Fostech feels that since they cannot know if an average customer has a terrible trigger pull, in order to preclude customer complaints that would erroneously blame the stock when it would be the customer's trigger that was at fault, that the best way Fostech can insure consistent operation out of the box for every customer, is for them to only sell the stock with the Kidd's trigger pack included. The Kidd's trigger pack gives you a trigger pull in ounces rather than pounds.

I don't know for sure, but if someone already has custom work on their trigger that gives it a very sweet, light break, (which would not be the average Ruger 10/22 owner), if they called Fostech Outdoors and spoke with Judd in marketing and sales, and explained the slick up trigger and what weight it broke at, Judd MIGHT, maybe, sell you a stock without the Kidd's trigger pack. But he might not. If he did, he would probably only do it if the customer fully understood that if the operation of his stock wasn't consistent, that it wasn't the stock's fault, but the customer's trigger that was inadequate. Fostech Outdoors doesn't want a bunch of returns due to customer's previous triggers being too stiff. Not only would that erroneously damage the reputation of the AA2 stock, but would also displease customers whose previously owned too stiff trigger were unknown to them, the actual problem.

So when you or another customer sends in their original AA stock to be retro-fitted to an AA2, (if you don't already have a very slicked up trigger, and or if Judd won't retro-fit your stock without a Kidd's trigger pack), the only thing you have to pay for is the same $300.00 Fostech has to pay for the Kidd's trigger pack and the minimal cost of the fore end pistol grip, (or supply a fore end pistol grip of your own that fits a picatinny rail). All the rest of the parts and labor for retro-fitting I am personally picking up the costs on. Also Fostech will return ship you your retro-fitted stock for free.

I didn't forget my former Akins Group Inc customers even though we got shut down six years ago and Akins Group Inc is long ago dissolved.
    I always try to do the right thing and I felt that was the right thing to do for former Akins Group Inc customers. Fostech Outdoors agrees.

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    Thanks, much appreciated Keith.

There sure is Keith. I asked Fostech to do that and they agreed. Just contact Judd at Fostech Outdoors and let him know you are a former Akins Accelerator (version 1) customer and that you want your stock retro-fitted for the Akins Accelerator 2 (AA2). Then send him your stock with the linear motion assembly included, but without the Ruger 10/22 in it. I'm personally picking up the cost for the parts and labor (not including the Kidd's trigger pack nor the fore end pistol grip) for retro-fitting my former customers stocks to the AA2 configuration. Just something I wanted to do for my former original AA customers.

However, I nor Fostech Outdoors can pick up the cost of the Kidd's trigger pack nor the fore end pistol grip. It costs Fostech Outdoors $300.00 for the Kidd's trigger pack and they don't sell it at a profit. I am unsure of what the fore end pistol grip costs but about any pistol grip that fits a picatinny rail will work. So $300.00 of the $629.00 total price for the AA2 stock is the Kidd's trigger pack cost. Which means Fostech Outdoors does not profit on that but only profits on the $369.00 left that they receive for a AA2 stock after you deduct the $300.00 price Fostech has to pay for the Kidd's trigger pack.

Fostech Outdoors will not sell the stock without it though because through experimentation it has been found that using the Kidd's trigger pack insures consistent isometric operation over factory trigger/hammer or aftermarket trigger/hammer setups. Fostech feels that since they cannot know if an average customer has a terrible trigger pull, in order to preclude customer complaints that would erroneously blame the stock when it would be the customer's trigger that was at fault, that the best way Fostech can insure consistent operation out of the box for every customer, is for them to only sell the stock with the Kidd's trigger pack included. The Kidd's trigger pack gives you a trigger pull in ounces rather than pounds.

I don't know for sure, but if someone already has custom work on their trigger that gives it a very sweet, light break, (which would not be the average Ruger 10/22 owner), if they called Fostech Outdoors and spoke with Judd in marketing and sales, and explained the slick up trigger and what weight it broke at, Judd MIGHT, maybe, sell you a stock without the Kidd's trigger pack. But he might not. If he did, he would probably only do it if the customer fully understood that if the operation of his stock wasn't consistent, that it wasn't the stock's fault, but the customer's trigger that was inadequate. Fostech Outdoors doesn't want a bunch of returns due to customer's previous triggers being too stiff. Not only would that erroneously damage the reputation of the AA2 stock, but would also displease customers whose previously owned too stiff trigger were unknown to them, the actual problem.

So when you or another customer sends in their original AA stock to be retro-fitted to an AA2, (if you don't already have a very slicked up trigger, and or if Judd won't retro-fit your stock without a Kidd's trigger pack), the only thing you have to pay for is the same $300.00 Fostech has to pay for the Kidd's trigger pack and the minimal cost of the fore end pistol grip, (or supply a fore end pistol grip of your own that fits a picatinny rail). All the rest of the parts and labor for retro-fitting I am personally picking up the costs on. Also Fostech will return ship you your retro-fitted stock for free.

I didn't forget my former Akins Group Inc customers even though we got shut down six years ago and Akins Group Inc is long ago dissolved.
    I always try to do the right thing and I felt that was the right thing to do for former Akins Group Inc customers. Fostech Outdoors agrees.

How typical. Some here that don't know me nor know what they are talking about were loving tearing me apart in earlier posts. But when I posted that I was personally picking up the tab for former Akins Group Inc (long dissolved) customer's to have their accelerator stocks retrofitted to the new Fostech springless AA2 version,.....there wasn't a peep said by anyone here after that. Lol. Some people are like newspapers. They are more interested in smearing and tearing someone down than acknowledging when someone did something good. I don't put much stock in nor have much respect for those types of newspapers ;).

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sadly America has degenerated from where someone can come up with a great idea,bring it to market and prosper. Now you have the Govt and lawyers waiting like vultures to destroy anyone who dares to innovate.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    :lol:
    How typical. Some here that don't know me nor know what they are talking about were loving tearing me apart in earlier posts. But when I posted that I was personally picking up the tab for former Akins Group Inc (long dissolved) customer's to have their accelerator stocks retrofitted to the new Fostech springless AA2 version,.....there wasn't a peep said by anyone here after that. Lol. Some people are like newspapers. They are more interested in smearing and tearing someone down than acknowledging when someone did something good. I don't put much stock in nor have much respect for those types of newspapers ;).

So you seriously bump an old thread because you didn't get a flurry of "Attaboy"posts and insult the board? How typical. Maybe you should team up with Dick Swann...

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Actually the Akins Accelerator bump fire stock for the Ruger 10/22 was marketed in the last of 2005 and in 2006, many years before the Slide Fire. I know because I invented it in 1996, received my U.S. patent for it in 2000, and marketed it. So to be correct it is the Slide Fire stock that is like an Akins Accelerator. Not the other way around. :)

These new AA2's (Akins Accelerator version 2) stocks are retro-fits of my former Akins Accelerator stocks that have been made to operate isometrically without using any springs. They work great. There is a limited amount of them available right now (less than 20). But Fostech Outdoors bought my existing inventory of about 600 and I am sending them to them and they will be retro-fitted very quickly. So very soon there will be plenty of them. Plus I am lending Fostech Outdoors my old molds so more can be made in the future.

The Fostech Outdoors bumpfire stocks are the only patented bumpfire stocks on the market (since I sold my patent to Fostech Outdoors). Some other manufacturers who don't even have a patent have been producing their bumpfire stocks for about a year without my permission and without doing a patent license agreement with me.

To ensure consistent operation, Fostech is installing a Kidd's trigger in them that has a very light trigger pull to ensure consistent operation. That is why they cost an additional $289.00 which is the cost of the Kidd's trigger to Fostech.
    But you will make up that amount very quickly in shooting low cost .22 LR ammo.

Later on, Fostech Outdoors will be marketing as an accessory, my design for a perforated full length barrel shroud for the 10/22 AA2. This will make it look like a bit like a Russian PPSH or more correctly a Italian Beretta sub gun from WW2. That will enable the sights to not move with the barrel since the barrel will reciprocate within the stationary barrel shroud and the sights will be attached to the stationary shroud. Plus it will enable other types of sights to be used without any weight on the barrel and without impeding the reciprocation of the barrel. Good things coming out :)

AWESOME!!!!!!:D:party29:

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I've had good results running a slide fire stock on my 15 22 . I had to remove some material from the part of the slide fire stock that interfered with the 15 22's bumped out trigger guard but now I can get consistent mag dumps for 300 rounds or so. It gets less reliable after things start getting real dirty. I was even running some real old .22 lr truncated cone ammo I got from a friend I think it was pmc possibly circa 1970 80's stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom