• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Paper targets are fun, but reactive targets are way more fun. Tin cans, balloons, and Justin Bieber CDs--we all know about. Me, I like to set up brass cases and pop 'em off the target stand.

Here's another one. Lay some joint compound into a rubber ice cube tray, screed the top smooth, and let it dry a few days. Pop the cubes out and set 'em up for targets. Even a little 22-cal bullet turns them into a big white puff of dust. Silicone rubber ice trays are perfect for this. Cheap, easy, and totally biodegradable with no litter at all.

What off-the-beaten-path target ideas do you have?

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Now that is a hell of an idea.
    Most of my shootin is confined to paper at public ranges.
    Damn I gotta find a new buddy with a backyard range.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Can of shaving cream from dollar store makes a nice splatter most of the time

If you want sound and action without mess, I hang a piece of sheet metal or aluminum from a piece of light chain (actually using junk aluminum fan blades I collect from work)

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Hmmm...shaving cream!

I have a few 6"-diameter 3/8" thick A500 steel plates that I hang from 5' tall "shepherd's hook" plant hangers (Wal Mart, Lowe's, Home Despot). These hangers are made of 1/2" diameter steel rod stock. The plates make a real racket and they swing. One thing to do is not hang them with the steel rod (hanger) directly behind it. Instead, add a few links of 3/8" chain and have the hanger turned sideways, so it's right or left of the plate when you shoot. The stands last forever this way.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I can't take credit for the ice cube thing. This tip came from Mike, who shoots an Astra .45 pistol pretty well.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Go to the dollar store and get a couple of bags of plastic army men.
    They make great .22 targets.

Get two different colors and you and a buddy can have a war.
    Last plastic army man standing wins.

Marshmallows make great targets.
    After Easter, you can buy stale Peeps for real cheap.
    And they come in bright colors.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    The kids and I hang different size balls from tree limbs (with appropriate back stops, of course) at different distances when we go to the family cabin in the woods at the undisclosed location. I will turn screw hooks into baseballs, softballs, tennis balls, and golf balls and then tie them with a long length of twine or string. We then shoot at them with the 22's and they are good fun. You shoot them while they are standing still to get them swinging, then try to get them while they are moving.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    You can get cases of pool chalk for relatively low prices online. Just like the joint compound thing, but in different colors.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Full Wally world brand soda cans, balloons with chalk dust added before being blown up, lit candles, and my personal favorite...ground hogs. For my grandson I laid a piece of poster board under cans of old spray paint and had him shoot to create a work of art that we framed and now hangs in my man cave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom