• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I understand that at the end of the day government contractors are paid by the taxpayers.

During my career I have been involved with both government agencies and government contractors.....I'm not sure which wastes more taxpayer dollars.

If you rely on taxpayer dollars to exist you are a government worker. Bechtel made something like 39 billion dollars last year. They like to tout that their largest divisions are civil engineering projects and government services. Both pretty much funded by taxpayer dollars across the world.

If the United Sates is to survive, government spending needs to be vastly reduced across the board. That includes government contracts....we have to stop paying companies like Bechtel to design and build bridges to nowhere....

I'm sure that is not a popular opinion in this part of the country as it seems majority of the people here exist off of the taxpayers......

Bottom line is that if there were no contractors (private sector) making the work happen, the government would shut down as it is incapable of sustaining itself. Tax payer money being used is not relevant to this conversation as these are lots of private sector jobs being moved which directly impacts out back yards.

What you don't understand is that just because someone works for a government contractor company, such as Bechtel or General Dynamics, they are not directly billing the government. Its called direct and indirect labor. From the sounds of Bechtel's mission, these offices/workers are indirect labor employees, meaning they are coming out of Bechtels profits, not from tax payer related funds.

again, you cant say you want to get rid of all contractors as well as government employees as no one will be left to do the work. It does not go both ways.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Also, contractors can not "waste" tax payer money. As a contractor myself, I have 0 control over taxpayer money. That is solely in the hands of the government. The government identifies the need for work to be awarded as well as supporting elements being purchased to accomplish the mission. As a contractor, I bid on those jobs and staff as needed until the contract is complete. At no time am I ever in or allowed to make decisions pertaining to government funds.

Your experiences pertaining to government contracting is minimal based on the statements made and I can give you the 101 if really desired.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Also, contractors can not "waste" tax payer money. As a contractor myself, I have 0 control over taxpayer money. That is solely in the hands of the government. The government identifies the need for work to be awarded as well as supporting elements being purchased to accomplish the mission. As a contractor, I bid on those jobs and staff as needed until the contract is complete. At no time am I ever in or allowed to make decisions pertaining to government funds.

Your experiences pertaining to government contracting is minimal based on the statements made and I can give you the 101 if really desired.

No waste, then you would be the exception. My firm bid on a job almost 4 years ago, won the bid and were paid that year so the budget money could be used up....we are still waiting approval to do the job. It appears we will never do the job as the manager that requested it has moved on.

I've worked for clients where government jobs are always bid higher than private industry jobs on the hope that their bid will be just low enough to get to win the contract.

I've worked for a client that was owned by a white man but on paper was owned by a black woman...solely to get preferred status...and all this company did was scan RFP's from the government all day, request quotes from suppliers that would drop ship, mark up the product accordingly then respond to the RFP...winning many of them due to their phony, baloney ownership status.

I've also been to many a lunch and dinner that ended up being charged to a government contract...

Not to mention contracts where the contractor pretty much is in control of change orders.

Contractors can and do waste taxpayer dollars.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Those are great commercials. How come we only see the Brown commercials on TV? I hope these run every hour from here to election day.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Its an option...but unfortunately I work in PA but I could find a job down there for sure. The major issue is moving my oldest, he is a junior in highschool now, and not the most social kid.

Big decisions to make for sure....

Suck it up for 2 years, then move once he is done with high school. Northern Virginia isn't much better than Maryland though. My wife was in Reston when I started dating her 11 years ago and they have some screwed up stuff in that area too.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My wife works for Bechtel...wont be a fun commute.

I did Glen Burnie to Chantilly for about 5 years. If I could have taken zoloft for the stress I would have. Never expect to make plans for dinner before 7 p.m.

Leave at 515 a.m. and easily make it before 6. Leave at 6, get to work at 815/830.
    Adhering to a strict guideline leaving for work helps a TON.

God help her.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I did Glen Burnie to Chantilly for about 5 years. If I could have taken zoloft for the stress I would have. Never expect to make plans for dinner before 7 p.m.

Leave at 515 a.m. and easily make it before 6. Leave at 6, get to work at 815/830.
    Adhering to a strict guideline leaving for work helps a TON.

God help her.

Don't forget the return trip......

I have been working four the same company for 12 years. The office is in Sterling, I live in Timonium. The last time they tried to make me do that commute everyday, I quit on the spot. That was 5 years ago. When I don't have onsite meetings in that area, I work from home.
    I say all this as I ready myself to go to the Pentagon today. Getting there at this time (noonish) will be easy. The trip home, not so much...

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    My wife works for Bechtel...wont be a fun commute.

3 years ago they were grumbling that they were going to move to Virginia . I assumed they were waiting on Maryland to come back and do something for them again. Guess Maryland made it clear.

When Northrup Grumman was looking at a new HQ one area they were looking at was off Clopper Road in Montgomery County. They pitted MD and VA in trying to see who gave the better breaks. Guess Maryland made it clear.

Booz Alllen Hamilton has its HQ in Bethesda many years ago. They pitted MD and VA in trying to see who gave the better breaks. Guess Maryland made it clear. They moved to Mclean and then a major portion to Herndon. I worked there about 8 years ago and from the time I worked in Herndon to now its night and day yet I see nothing like that in Maryland.

15-20 years ago remember what Northern Virgina looked like? Look at Mclean now, Reston , Herndon, Leesburg. All those magic jobs on the 270 tech corridor in Maryland are gone or never materialized. In that same time what has Maryland done ? We are a glorified suburb of DC.

Our politicians ( Brown) complain about big business and how they want to help small businesses first. News flash look at northern Virginia . Bring in a few major companies and like magic places like Reston come into being. People want to live close to work, want to go out to eat during lunch, want to go out after work, and that springs a waterfall of events.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Guessing she can commute on the dulles toll road? Not sure how much that is and if its really worth the cost.

Maybe I buy her a pruis and put a rainbow sticker on it.

The worst part is.... I have a baby coming due in the next couple of weeks, that is added stress to her. I will have to get the kids ready and drop them off at daycare, pick them up, dinner etc. Looks like I will be Mr MOM now.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Guessing she can commute on the dulles toll road? Not sure how much that is and if its really worth the cost.

Maybe I buy her a pruis and put a rainbow sticker on it.

The worst part is.... I have a baby coming due in the next couple of weeks, that is added stress to her. I will have to get the kids ready and drop them off at daycare, pick them up, dinner etc. Looks like I will be Mr MOM now.

i think its $3.50 each way on the toll and the drive itself to Reston depending on where you live in Maryland is not easy. I had to fill up on gas every week when doing it but that was when gas was around $2.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    i think its $3.50 each way on the toll and the drive itself to Reston depending on where you live in Maryland is not easy. I had to fill up on gas every week when doing it but that was when gas was around $2.

I think she could get the EZ Pass commuter rates?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I wait for the day Underarmor moves. That is what all the Dems I know hold as proof that companies can thrive in Maryland.

When they go it will be Olympus has fallen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom