• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ianb1116

Oct 14, 2014
    Hi all-
    First post on the forum. I'm moving to the Bel Air, MD area in the coming months as I work at APG and want a shorter commute (currently 1.5 hours from northern DE). Now the most important issue of the move: can I bring my guns without having to modify mags/registrations?
    Here's what I have:
    (2) AR-15s, one HBAR, one m4 profile
    (1) Mosin-Nagant
    (1) CZ912 Shotgun
    (1) XD45 w/ 13 round mags
    (1) FNS-9L with 17 round mags
    (1) Savage 111 in .30-06

Thanks in advance everyone! Look forward to meeting all of you!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 1,897

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    When did you become the owner of the m4 profile AR? If it was after 10/1/13 you'll have a problem. You'll have some registrations to deal with, but no worries on the mags you own now and want to bring. In fact, stock up on mags!!!

Welcome to MD!

ianb1116

Oct 14, 2014
    I did own the non-HBAR AR pre 10/1/13. However, what would the law regarding assembling be? I have a spare m4 profile barrel and spare lower receiver (obviously went through an FFL). Could I build up an AR with the barrel because the lower was purchased before 10/1/13?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It doesn't seem to matter to MSP. If you did not possess a completed rifle before Oct 1, 2013, you cannot assemble one now.

Sorry-this is a forked up place when it comes to firearms. MSI is working to try to change that, along with many others.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    It doesn't seem to matter to MSP. If you did not possess a completed rifle before Oct 1, 2013, you cannot assemble one now.

Sorry-this is a forked up place when it comes to firearms. MSI is working to try to change that, along with many others.

Are you sure???
    I thought if you had a lower prior to 10/1/13 you could assemble it how ever you wanted. Only post 10/1/13 purchases must conform to the HBAR standard.
    IANAL - just asking.... :o

Also... I have an FFL friend who went to the last MSP briefing where it was said that you must provide proof that the manufacture of the AR barrel identifies it as a HEAVY barrel. NOT a varmint or a target barrel but HEAVY barrel. It can be on their web site or in product literature. I would print it out and keep a copy.
    It used to be that if there was the absence of the "grenade launcher" cut and NON pencil barrel and it was assumed to be a heavy barrel. Not anymore according to the MSP.

Chris

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well IANAL, but IIRC if the lower was not assembled into a now banned configuration prior to Oct 1, 2-013, it couldn't be assembled after Oct 1, 2013.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

:rolleyes:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Are you sure???
    I thought if you had a lower prior to 10/1/13 you could assemble it how ever you wanted. Only post 10/1/13 purchases must conform to the HBAR standard.
    IANAL - just asking.... :o

Also... I have an FFL friend who went to the last MSP briefing where it was said that you must provide proof that the manufacture of the AR barrel identifies it as a HEAVY barrel. NOT a varmint or a target barrel but HEAVY barrel. It can be on their web site or in product literature. I would print it out and keep a copy.
    It used to be that if there was the absence of the "grenade launcher" cut and NON pencil barrel and it was assumed to be a heavy barrel. Not anymore according to the MSP.

Chris

lol.. gotta love msp

varmit and target barrels are if not all.. heavy barrels.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I did own the non-HBAR AR pre 10/1/13. However, what would the law regarding assembling be? I have a spare m4 profile barrel and spare lower receiver (obviously went through an FFL). Could I build up an AR with the barrel because the lower was purchased before 10/1/13?

Put it together before you move into the state. Since both items were purchased pre 10/1/13, you should be good to go. You will still have to register it though.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Are you sure???
    I thought if you had a lower prior to 10/1/13 you could assemble it how ever you wanted. Only post 10/1/13 purchases must conform to the HBAR standard.IANAL - just asking.... :o

Chris

That was my impression and opinion of my local FFL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP is going to say a lower is not a rifle, and if you didn't possess the rifle before 10-1-13, they're gonna nix it. As Dblas said, build it out of state since your pososesed the parts before 10-1-13. Just register it when you get here.

My opinion. IANAL YMMV. Pinecone will straighten us out.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just get a new job. Living in MD sucks. Many of us are trying to get out.

This kind of response needs to stop.

We need all of the help we can get, and telling prospective MD citizens, who are pro 2A, to not move here, does absolutely nothing for our cause and our fight. We need more members, not less, and there really only two ways to get there;

1. Convert folks who have never been around firearms.

2. People who move into the state that already share our mindset.

I'm not picking on you specifically, but every time I see this response, I shake my head.

We need to hang together, for we will certainly hang alone.

AK-47

Feb 2, 2008
    This kind of response needs to stop.

We need all of the help we can get, and telling prospective MD citizens, who are pro 2A, to not move here, does absolutely nothing for our cause and our fight. We need more members, not less, and there really only two ways to get there;

1. Convert folks who have never been around firearms.

2. People who move into the state that already share our mindset.

I'm not picking on you specifically, but every time I see this response, I shake my head.

We need to hang together, for we will certainly hang alone.

You have a good point. However, the answer is a lot more complex than what you summarized in two bullet items. Also, there are many other reasons not to move here other than just bad gun laws.

We do need to hang together. Sad thing is when it comes time to vote most RURAL people don't even vote. PG, Howard and Baltimore counties run the show. That is where we need to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom