• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Hi Guys,
    I have pretty much decided on a marlin 60 or 795. I am looking at the mossburg semi as well, but not much information is out there. The 60 is $115 and the 795 is $165.

Why would I get the 795 for 40 dollars more? Magazines don't mean much as this is a groundhog and target shooting rifle. I don't need a lot of magazines.

Is their an accuracy difference? I could see a edge to the 795 in accuracy because their is not a magazine tube attached to it.

Can you mount a bipod on the 60?

Any information in the firearms in general (such as accuracy) would be great as well.

Happy Shooting,
    ATTom

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    I am not sure about accuracy but I do believe they are comparable.
    I have a 60SS and use to really like it. It looks nicer and feels better than the poly. I dislike loading and make gun the safe with a tubemag. Trigger isn't great. The upgrades from https://www.diproductsinc.com did help.

That being said it is great rifle for the price.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes, you can toss bipods on and they even make some great options to mount a scope on the little rimfire rail milled into the top.
    me and 795.jpg
    here is a 100 yard group I shot at hap baker with wolf match ammo. When you don't have wind to mess with, this gun is flat out repeatable. If you're looking for a super-accurate target gun to practice with in .22lr, you should step up to a cz-452 or 453.
    795 at 100 yds wolf match.jpg
    Here's the microgroove rifling they use. It works excellent with the soft lead bullets used with .22's.
    795 microgroove rifling.jpg
    I have a 795...its incredibly accurate for the money. It's reliable as a mofo too once it's broken in. If you're not planning on changing anything around, they're a great buy. Now if you want to change things around, or buy a gun to upgrade over time, you can't beat a 10/22 for aftermarket availability. If you want a trainer for an AR, the s&w m&p15/22 is the best option(shy of tossing a dedicated upper on to your existing lower.

oh, they do make some higher-cap mags now for it too. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...rlin-795-22-long-rifle-25-round-polymer-black

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    That's the spring for the bipod.

Eta

....where did the question about the tube looking thing under the barrel go?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    The 60 is kinda small and has some pot metal on it. Not saying it doesn't have a good rep, but I dug a little deeper and went with Remington 597 :)

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I think the 60 and 795 are basically the same gun, just the tube magazine for the 60, and traditional mags for the 795. Get whichever you like more. I have a 60, and am very pleased with it.

Get a magnified optic for it, with more power than you think you'll need, and buy those rings that grab the ENTIRE dovetail mount if you don't want the optic to walk.

The thing is crazy accurate, even at +100 yards. At least I need the optic to see clearly as far as the thing can shoot accurately.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I think the 60 and 795 are basically the same gun, just the tube magazine for the 60, and traditional mags for the 795. Get whichever you like more. I have a 60, and am very pleased with it.

Get a magnified optic for it, with more power than you think you'll need, and buy those rings that grab the ENTIRE dovetail mount if you don't want the optic to walk.

The thing is crazy accurate, even at +100 yards. At least I need the optic to see clearly as far as the thing can shoot accurately.

Any example of the correct rings?

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    My only knock on the 795 is that the mags kinda suck. They are okay, but the gun is clearly a Model 60 converted to using mags. I prefer the 60 over the 795 because of this, but if the gun used better mags (flush to the gun) like the Ruger 10/22, you'd have about the second best semi-auto .22LR ever made IMO (Remington Nylon 66/77/Mohawk 10C taking that prize).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My only knock on the 795 is that the mags kinda suck. They are okay, but the gun is clearly a Model 60 converted to using mags. I prefer the 60 over the 795 because of this, but if the gun used better mags (flush to the gun) like the Ruger 10/22, you'd have about the second best semi-auto .22LR ever made IMO (Remington Nylon 66/77/Mohawk 10C taking that prize).

I agree on the 795 mags. They will wear your thumbs raw and I'm always afraid of slicing my finger on them. One of those mag loader assist tools might be the deal.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Hi Guys,
    I have pretty much decided on a marlin 60 or 795. I am looking at the mossburg semi as well, but not much information is out there. The 60 is $115 and the 795 is $165.

Why would I get the 795 for 40 dollars more? Magazines don't mean much as this is a groundhog and target shooting rifle. I don't need a lot of magazines.

Is their an accuracy difference? I could see a edge to the 795 in accuracy because their is not a magazine tube attached to it.

Can you mount a bipod on the 60?

Any information in the firearms in general (such as accuracy) would be great as well.

Happy Shooting,
    ATTom

Do you really want to roll the dice on the "quality control" marlin has these days?

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    This is 5 rounds from an old (like 40 year old) Marlin Glenfield Model 25 bolt gun, I know your talking semi-auto but I just had to show it off:

Attachments

• Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 560

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads