• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    salisbury pd always hiring, lots of stuff you could learn there. They make you sign a 5 yr contract though.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Gaithersburg, Park Police, County are the three highest paid in Montgomery if memory serves. I think G-Burg is the highest. Know a few of their guys from the academy and they're very happy their.

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I earned my 2 year associates degree in police science while in the academy with MSP. Frederick Community College partners up with the academy staff and supplements the academics of the academy with classes in the evening. It's a bit of extra work but it's not impossible. Just something to think about. We are always looking for good people, and definitely could use the manpower boost. We don't pay the highest in the state but our pay is going up over the next few years incrementally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've been looking for the last couple years. I'm coming from the opposite side though. I have a degree, just was in horrible physical shape. It's a super competitive field right now. If you can get some college under your belt it'd be an advantage. Most agencies lean heavily toward folks with either military background or college.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Montgomery County is hiring 80 every six months for the next year and half or so. It may slow to about 30 every six months after that. If you meet the basic requirements and haven consumed any recreational drugs ( yes that has become a problem lately) PM me I put in contact with a recruiter. That is if you are interested.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Montgomery County looks like a nice department to work for but like I said I dont have any college credits so I dont think they would take me

As far as the drugs or anything like that, nothing to worry about there. I have never done an illegal drug in my life

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    You should look into the NRP. I have a close friend who's an officer and he really enjoys it, gets to be outside a lot and works with good people.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Some more food for thought.

Do not get caught up in starting salary as an over all indicator of pay.

It is important to look at the pay scale and also the benefits offered like tuition reimbursement, how the department compensates for court time, vacation time, personal days offered, etc.

The starting pay in MD is all for the most part going to be about the same with a 4-6k dollar difference.

When you start looking at the pay scale and see the longevity increases as well as the promotion increases is what REALLY sets the departments apart.

There might be a 8k dollar difference from a Sgt. with MSP to a Corporal in Baltimore County with the same amount of time with their departments.

And at last you should be looking in the field if it all comes down to money but like any job it needs to be considered when applying.

If you aren't an "in demand" applicant all this wont matter and you should apply to every department that is hiring. If you are "in demand" you have a bit more say in where you end up.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Honestly the starting pay aspect isnt a concern to me. I just want to get my foot in the door.

I like the benefits MSP has to offer, but one question about them, do you get any choice in where in MD they station you?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Honestly the starting pay aspect isnt a concern to me. I just want to get my foot in the door.

I like the benefits MSP has to offer, but one question about them, do you get any choice in where in MD they station you?
    Not sure but I would bet that your first assignment is likely based on your academy standing. I know a good number of MSP officers, many in the Resident Trooper Program, but never bothered to ask them. Most that I know live within an hour of their duty location but don't take that as an indicator. I know some troopers in the RTP that have policed the same town for many years. However in general a promotion will get you transfered due to the manpower needs of the department, especially in a wide ranging state agency.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009

According to one of my clients, you do not. Her husband is a retired MSP colonel who had a bit of influence but when her son graduated the academy his first duty was in some remote section of southern Maryland....not his 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice.

As you mention however, you just want to get your foot in the door...my son as he already mentioned is finding it hard, even with his degree.

The problem is departments are giving preference to laterals, and veterans......not to mention certain demographics....

As I tell my son, just bite the bullet(no pun intended) and apply to the city....do your obligatory time and lateral to another department.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007

But your not going anywhere west of Westminster out of the academy....Period. If your class rank is high your going to have better options. Lower rank, your going to the metro areas/Far Eastern Shore or Down South. The MSP is the best gig going if you ask me(but I'm a little biased;)). One day you could be on duty in Calvert County, then the next day be working a weekend assignment in Western Bmore. And in about a year or two at the MSP you can transfer to ALMOST any duty station in the state and work close to home. Regardless of what duty station you go to the MSP is a place for self starters who don't require a lot of supervision. In regards to the NRP, they don't hire often and its veryyyyy competitive. They have very small classes and you better be a committed outdoors men and waterman before you go in. If you go to PG county your going to get paid, they have a ton of overtime and part time gigs but man are they busy in some areas.

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD

Yes and no. They try their best to put you close to home. But there are a lot of factors that come into play:

1. What barrack needs manpower
    2. Do you own a home
    3. Are you married with kids
    4. Your overall standing in the academy based on PT scores, academic scores, etc.

Towards the end of the academy you pick your top 3 choices of barrack, and depending on the above, you will be assigned to one. It also helps if less people choose the barrack that you want. Obviously if you are married with kids and own a home then you get a higher choice and more likely to get the barrack you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Just curious, have you either made an attempt to attend college/have any interest? Have you volunteered any time with a department? Ride alongs? Point being, what sets you apart from anyone else who just wants to be the police? Without some kind of preparation, how do they know you actually want to be the police? And I don't mean that in any way to sound contentious or disparaging. I truly believe that if you want it bad enough you'll do just fine. But When I was applying I met a lot of people who came to the testing with a kind of "just cuz" attitude or to take a shot in the dark. Problem with that is, the difference between those people and the people who have gone on to make themselves stand out in someway is huge. A lot of applicants think the department is going to take a chance on them (which they may very well do) but why would they when they have people who did just that little bit extra?

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Exactly what Orange Agent said. Many departments have Cadet programs and explorer programs. If your under 21 that's the only automatic way into a department. Cadets at the MSP are almost guaranteed a spot in the academy. Well as long as they don't screw up. Keep in mind at the MSP I work with former Lawyers, former cops, nurses, ex high speed military guys, former professional athletes and countless college grads. It's hard but can be done especially if you don't let rejection deter you. Apply multiple times to departments if you get rejected. As long as its not a rejection for serious reasons. The best way in is college or military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom