• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    We'll see. I just hope he doesn't ban the Constitution like Maryland did.

Hes going to have a really really hard time getting too much done. Pa is basically Md in reverse when it comes to state govt now. The state government is largely conservative. Even a lot of the dems are from rural areas and make Md republicans look like a hardcore liberal at times. Almost everyone is pro gun and the state constitution itself specifically grants the right to bear arms.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Hes going to have a really really hard time getting too much done. Pa is basically Md in reverse when it comes to state govt now. The state government is largely conservative. Even a lot of the dems are from rural areas and make Md republicans look like a hardcore liberal at times. Almost everyone is pro gun and the state constitution itself specifically grants the right to bear arms.

True that, PITA to get a drivers license BUT easy to get a carry permit once one has their DL. :)

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    True that, PITA to get a drivers license BUT easy to get a carry permit once one has their DL. :)

I got my license in like 15 minutes on the north side of York city at the drivers license center. Just took the paperwork they wanted and paid the money and all was well. I think it was on queen st.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I got my license in like 15 minutes on the north side of York city at the drivers license center. Just took the paperwork they wanted and paid the money and all was well. I think it was on queen st.

I had to go twice my ORIGINAL birth certificate wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: The annual car inspections are BS, ALL isn't greener on the other side.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I had to go twice my ORIGINAL birth certificate wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: The annual car inspections are BS, ALL isn't greener on the other side.

Your are correct. But leaving the Baltimore area and coming here. Its definitely greener for the most part. I can deal with the few annoyances to have overall better quality of life. Schools are better for the kids as well as the population in general here being a lot more tolerable. The demographics around here are much more to my liking and shitheads are few and far between. Yearly inspections are a pain in the ass but as a mechanic myself my vehicles are kept up so its no biggie.

afree1

Rimfire Fan
    Jan 25, 2013
    Hagerstown Area
    As one would expect, it all depends on what you are used to, or what you are comparing it to. I live in WV, just across the river from Maryland and own a home on 1.6 acres. I have a cabin in Lycoming County, PA, on 10 acres of land backing up to the Lycoming State Forest. The total taxes on my cabin, including School and Real Estate, are slightly more than double the amount of property tax that I pay in WV, even though my WV home is worth easily 2.5 times as much as the cabin. So to me, the tax rate is quite high, particularly considering that nobody that has owned that tract of land back to the 1870's has ever attended the school system. (Yeah, I know, that makes no difference!)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Your are correct. But leaving the Baltimore area and coming here. Its definitely greener for the most part. I can deal with the few annoyances to have overall better quality of life. Schools are better for the kids as well as the population in general here being a lot more tolerable. The demographics around here are much more to my liking and shitheads are few and far between. Yearly inspections are a pain in the ass but as a mechanic myself my vehicles are kept up so its no biggie.

I'm enjoying life here trust me on that. The ONLY thing that keeps me from coming back from a gun show loaded to the gills is my humble wallet. Having HUGE issues with HughesNet as we speak :mad54: but oh well. People are friendlier even the Pisspuke fans. The armed society is friendlier no doubt. I LIKE N. York Co.... the MVA and to a lesser degree S. York not so much. :shrug:

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I'm enjoying life here trust me on that. The ONLY thing that keeps me from coming back from a gun show loaded to the gills is my humble wallet. Having HUGE issues with HughesNet as we speak :mad54: but oh well. People are friendlier even the Pisspuke fans. The armed society is friendlier no doubt. I LIKE N. York Co.... the MVA and to a lesser degree S. York not so much. :shrug:

Im Se York. Im far enough away from the trash along the 83 corridor. Im surrounded by farm land and the population is low. Im in 17314 specifically Susquehanna trails. The closest traffic light is like 20 minutes away.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So the other question I have is this: Can anyone name a place in PA where the school taxes are significantly less than most other areas? My taxes in AA County right now are a little over $2700 which is actually fairly reasonable for Maryland considering my home is assessed around $300k or slightly more. I have looked at homes in PA priced around $250K that had school taxes over 6k/yr. Something around $3k - $4K all else considered might be acceptable. However, if I had to cover $6k annually, i would probably look in VA, WV or Delaware.

Black Bart makes a point that not everything is greener ANYWHERE you live. By example, I use my bother's retort to my niece who lives in AZ. One argument she has made is that there are few or no insects there. My brother (her father) answered back: 'yeah, but we don't have scorpions' (lol). She alsio tries to excuse the heat as 'dry heat'...but 110 is pretty hot no matter what the humidity and they are often pretty hot for over 1/2 the year. She mentioned hurricanes, and he answered 'but we don't have major dust storms'. He then made the point Black Bart made....there are pros and con's to anyplace you might live.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Also, it's not just the county it's the boroughs and school districts can levy their own taxes as well.

We have friends who live in Penn Township and they are very restrictive. They have trash inspectors that verify your trash doesn't have recyclables after you put it on the street. These same friends got fined because their RV was 4 inches too far from their house. Penn Township also does not allow people to have chickens. but the burrough does.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Also, it's not just the county it's the boroughs and school districts can levy their own taxes as well.

We have friends who live in Penn Township and they are very restrictive. They have trash inspectors that verify your trash doesn't have recyclables after you put it on the street. These same friends got fined because their RV was 4 inches too far from their house. Penn Township also does not allow people to have chickens. but the burrough does.

GTFOH! :mad54:

And I bitched at the trash company because they left trash thinking it was recyclable. They have the contract one one HAS TO buy the service. :rolleyes: I do NOT like chickensht.... leave me the **** alone.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I LOVE it here but no matter how you slice it.... the grass ain't always greener all the time.

^Wisdom. Consider as many options as you can and use your best judgment.
    I've live in Maryland for 48 years and PA for just over 10. Both have a lot to offer, depending on who you are and what you are looking for.

As much as I would LOVE to, in all this time I still have not been able to find a job in PA that replaces the one I have that takes me traveling through Maryland and into DC. Not even working for the same company. Seems transfers are just as tight as the open job market itself.

All things considered we're happy (and happier) where we are in PA. Virginia would have been nice too if you can get away from the NoVa and Tidewater traffic and congestion. Virginia is probably close to being one of my favorite east coast states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom