• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sneaking down in a little bit.

Expecting a quiet, hopefully unoccupied, mud-pit.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    ill be heading there Saturday morning hopefully again. had a blast last week when it was cold. only 1 person there when we arrived.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I just heard s rumor that they are closing down Myrtle Grove permanently in the next few months. Have anyone heard this or can confirm or correct this?
    Heard the neighborhood hot a petition to have it closed

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have not heard that but they are going to close it long enough to replace several of the back baffle's. there was a pre bid meeting down there the first of this week about it. I think it would be closed for 2 or 3 months for the work to be done.

there was some talk about how badly the wooden backstop above the back berm had been shot up and where those rounds were landing though.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Got there about 1:30 this afternoon. 5 benches were being used however 1 was getting ready to leave. At first cold range set my target and waited to go hot. Within about 10 minutes I was the only one left at the range. Had it to myself for about 45 minutes before someone else showed up. One other person showed up by the time I was leaving. Not a bad day except I need to find an ammo my Kimber Solo likes. Kept jamming after almost each shot (spent round not ejecting) Other than that great day.

Attachments

• Myrtle Grove 1.jpg
      Myrtle Grove 1.jpg
      109.8 KB · Views: 923
    • Myrtle Grove 2.jpg
      Myrtle Grove 2.jpg
      107.5 KB · Views: 928

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Not a bad day except I need to find an ammo my Kimber Solo likes. Kept jamming after almost each shot (spent round not ejecting) Other than that great day.

I am not a 1911 guy, but thought the ammo issues are with feeding? Ie hollowpoints getting stuck on the feed ramp.

IMHO If yours is not ejecting I would send it back to Kimber.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Never been. How is it over there in the afternoon on a weekday?

Depends on the day, the days some get to telework - it may be a bit more crowded at times than a normal weekday, but definitely quieter than a weekend.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    First shot since WWII

Made it down to Myrtle Grove on Thursday to shoot a gun that's been in my family since WWII (hasn't been fired since then). The gun is a Type 38 6.5mm Arisaka; it a WWII bring-back that was given to my Dad by his uncle who was a Marine that served in the Pacific. Dad was a kid when he got it and he basically used it as a toy to the extent that the stock was broken and many parts went missing.

Dad gave me the rifle a few years ago as little more than a barreled action. I acquired the parts to make it functional again and bought the dies/brass/bullets to make up some 6.5 Arisaka ammo.

The rifle shot pretty well. First shot was about an inch to the left of my point of aim at 50 yards. Moved the target back to 100 yards and was able to hold a reasonable group with it with the iron sights.

This rifle won't be going hunting with me or to any shooting matches but was still a great feeling to shoot it. Sorry for the long post but thought the MDS crowd might enjoy.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    took the wife out Saturday afternoon for some anniversary shooting. had a blast and met a fellow MDshooter named Tony. had a pretty sweet collection with him.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Made it down to Myrtle Grove on Thursday to shoot a gun that's been in my family since WWII (hasn't been fired since then). The gun is a Type 38 6.5mm Arisaka; it a WWII bring-back that was given to my Dad by his uncle who was a Marine that served in the Pacific. Dad was a kid when he got it and he basically used it as a toy to the extent that the stock was broken and many parts went missing.

Dad gave me the rifle a few years ago as little more than a barreled action. I acquired the parts to make it functional again and bought the dies/brass/bullets to make up some 6.5 Arisaka ammo.

The rifle shot pretty well. First shot was about an inch to the left of my point of aim at 50 yards. Moved the target back to 100 yards and was able to hold a reasonable group with it with the iron sights.

This rifle won't be going hunting with me or to any shooting matches but was still a great feeling to shoot it. Sorry for the long post but thought the MDS crowd might enjoy.

That must have been very satisfying the first time it fired. Great to hear a story like that.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Mudhole?

Haven't been to MG since the start of the monsoon season. I should know the answer to this but WTH I'll ask anyway. Anyone been to MG recently? I want to go shoot, but I'm taking a newbie with me and although I don't mind slogging through the muck (can you say rice paddies?) I'd like my new shooter (female) to have a nice experience. I'm trying to create new shooters here, not prove a point. So, how's the range?:D

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I can tell you that before monsoon season there was a mudpit and pond on the right 4 lanes starting at about 15 yards. since monsoon season, can't help you there as I've been waiting to see the sun myself.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I emailed Maryland DNR at [FONT=&quot]customerservice.dnr@maryland.gov
    about the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range[/FONT], it's poor condition and asked if the state plans to do anything about it and when. Here is the reply;

[FONT=&quot]Hi Robert,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for using the Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range and for contacting us about it. You are correct the use of the Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range has increased dramatically over the last several years. With the increase in the use of the Shooting Range, our small Land Management staff have had a difficult time in doing the repairs necessary to keep up with the damage occurring to the range baffles, berm, and berm wall.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The timing of your email is quite a coincidence as we are planning extensive repairs to the Myrtle Grove Shooting Range in the very near future. To address the extensive damage to the baffle system, we have worked with the DNR Engineering and Construction Unit to design a new baffle system that will be more sustainable over time and will stand up better to the increased usage of the range. In the next few months, the range will be closed so a Contractor can install the new baffle system at the far end of the range. The plan will be to replace the remaining baffles (with the new system) over the next couple of fiscal years. While the range is closed we will also be working on repairs to the berm and berm wall. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please note: We will post a notice at the range and on our website to make the public aware of the range closure for the scheduled repairs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have any additional questions please give me a call at 410-535-0282.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dave Heilmeier[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]David Heilmeier[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Southern Region Manager[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]MD DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6904 Hallowing Lane[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Prince Frederick, MD 20678[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](410) 535-0282[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]david.heilmeier@maryland.gov[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Agree. How is it even possible to hit the baffles with other than an accidental discharge? I've never seen anyone do it yet. Is it just some aholes doing it when no one is around?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Agree. How is it even possible to hit the baffles with other than an accidental discharge? I've never seen anyone do it yet. Is it just some aholes doing it when no one is around?

There is one way to inadvertently hit the back baffles. That is if you shoot a pistol in one of the non-pistol lanes and the ricochets from the gravel go up into the baffles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom