• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FF4694

Nov 2, 2011
    Looking to get my wife a new gun got her a walther p22 last year and she loves it and wants to move to a 9mm now.. I want to hear the pros and cons on both guns thanks

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you can find a Gen 3 Glock 19, I really don't think there ARE any real cons. Yes, the grip can take some getting used to but it's about as good as a 9mm in that price range is going to get. The IDF uses them, the German GSG 9 uses it's big brother the G17, when we needed to arm the new Iraqi security forces, they became the world's largest buyer of the G19. It's THAT damn good.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    joppaj said:
    If you can find a Gen 3 Glock 19, I really don't think there ARE any real cons. Yes, the grip can take some getting used to but it's about as good as a 9mm in that price range is going to get. The IDF uses them, the German GSG 9 uses it's big brother the G17, when we needed to arm the new Iraqi security forces, they became the world's largest buyer of the G19. It's THAT damn good.

If they would build it here I think our armed forces would be using it too.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1008452#post1008452

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1586732&highlight=ppq#post1586732
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1552953&highlight=ppq#post1552953
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1445414&highlight=ppq#post1445414

either one is a fantastic gun. I may or may not be partial to the p99 :innocent0. Have the buyer shoot both and see which calls to them.

p99.gif

p99-groups-at-30-ft.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Easy, the Glock. Id echo the above recommendation to get a Gen3 also. Not much to say, they just work and are very easy to care for. You can't go wrong with either really. But the Glock would be my choice, and it was. I pick up my G19 next Monday. It'll go nicely with my G34 and G21SF.

FF4694

Nov 2, 2011

She has fired the g19 and I have a g22 and i love glocks... but this is about her and what she will like and the problem I am running into is finding a p99 i can get in her hands to fire.... it is a hard weapom to find.

Have you fired a glock 19 ? did you notice any large differences?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Personally I've shot few gen 3 Glock 19s and always liked them. But on the other hand James Bond uses the P99 making it inherently awesome. Not to mention they're not all that common.

I'd say you need to have her handle each since the P99's ergonomic hump grip may not be for everyone, and well the Glock is a Glock, which isn't for everyone.

IIRC, Continental Arms in Timonium has a P99 for rent.

FF4694

Nov 2, 2011
    Personally I've shot few gen 3 Glock 19s and always liked them. But on the other hand James Bond uses the P99 making it inherently awesome. Not to mention they're not all that common.

I'd say you need to have her handle each since the P99's ergonomic hump grip may not be for everyone, and well the Glock is a Glock, which isn't for everyone.

IIRC, Continental Arms in Timonium has a P99 for rent.

Thanks!!!!! haven't been able to find a p99 for her to shoot....

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    She has fired the g19 and I have a g22 and i love glocks... but this is about her and what she will like and the problem I am running into is finding a p99 i can get in her hands to fire.... it is a hard weapom to find.

Have you fired a glock 19 ? did you notice any large differences?

Smart Man! :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    p99AS/p99QA/ppq

Thanks!!!!! haven't been able to find a p99 for her to shoot....

make sure it's a p99AS. The QA trigger sucks balls. Basically the three triggers in the p99/ppq family are the AS(anti-stress), the QA(quick-action) and the ppq's trigger.

AS-

found on p99's. It's got two modes....a single-actionish mode and a double-actionish mode. This is accomplished by literally having two different sear hooks in the lower. When you chamber the first round, the gun is in it's "anti-stress mode". This means the trigger is all the way out where it would be on double-action...but it's got the weight of the single-action.

As you press the trigger to the rear, it will click halfway(so if ure nervous, the gun gives you a warning before you shoot someone by accident...."anti-stress). If you remove your trigger finger from the trigger at this point, you'll notice the trigger stays in it's "half-pulled" position to the rear. The halfway point is also the position the trigger will return to after firing and reseting. If you keep going, the trigger will move almost completely to the rear and you'll feel a slight increase in weight then a pretty crisp break.

The trigger is light and crisp because the SA sear is essentially a spring-loaded hook with a leg under it holding it up(kind've like a rabbit trap with a stick under a rock). When you reach the end of the trigger press, the leg holding the SA sear up moves out of the way and allows the sear to fall.

After the gun fires and cycles, you release the trigger and become amazed. The reset is EXTREMELY short. The reset is the same as the ppq's which is advertised at less than 1/10". When you're ready to stop firing, release the trigger all the way and it stops at the halfway locked position.

If you want a heavy first trigger pull, you can decock the AS trigger using a button on top of the slide. The button essentially kicks the legs out from under the SA sear and makes it drop, letting the striker fall on the safety block. From here, your trigger press uses the seperate double-action sear to grab the striker and push it to the rear, then fall out of the way(timed with the sa sear in beautiful harmony of german engineering actually).

QA- QA sucks. It's essentially the double-action pull only. Instead of that beautiful single-action pull and short reset, every pull requires you to mostly draw the striker to the rear. It's relatively heavy(8 lbsish) and a little gritty(there are some things you can do to the striker to smooth things out without lightening the spring to get rid of the spring-binding grit). It is fairly short though, at around .33"...but just no good.

PPQ- this is literally the trigger from the AS with the double-action sear hook cut off. They got rid of the decocker because it would render the trigger dead and you'd have to pull the slide back slightly to reset the sear before it could fire. It's probably for the better, as I don't think i really ever use the deocker on my p99AS...however, it's nice to use the decocker to release the sear when taking the slide off on the AS...with the ppq, you've got to pull the trigger like on a glock. The good thing over the AS trigger is that it never lets out all the way, it lets out to the halfway point of the AS trigger but never farther. The bad thing is it's got that gay trigger safety of the glocks instead of the trigger safety design of the p99AS(yup, it's got a safety. the trigger shell hinges and moves out of the way of the frame)

Of the three triggers, I'd absolutely take the AS every time.

Now for the ergonomics and the frame....

the ppq did some smart things. The grip texturing feels better. The small bumps on the left and right side of the grip wouldn't seem to make a big difference, but they do. The ppq's grip feels better. I'm also a huge fan of them squaring off the trigger guard on the ppq. The p99's rounded trigger guard and one slot really limit mounting of lights and lasers....except for some intended for subcompact pistols. I don't really use the slide release often(either seat the mag hard enough and at a 45 deg angle to release the slide on it's own, or just tug the slide after reload), but making it ambi on the ppq was a very smart move. Now everything is ambi since the mag release is ambi as well.

The ideal combination for me would be putting the p99AS slide and trigger guts on a ppq frame.

Last edited:

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Where are you guys finding P99s for sale? I'm looking to buy one very soon.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    p99 vs g19

I was looking as the g19 and the p99 when I was getting my first gun. My dad has had a g19 for year now and it was the 9mm I learned on growing up. The p99 was the gun I fondled in the gun counter all the time because it just felt right in my hand. Here's things I've learned between shooting the two...

Trigger:
    p99 wins- I love the trigger on the p99 and it has always felt better than the glock triggers. It's got a shorter reset and doesn't have that gay blade safety in the middle. I also can't stand that glock triggers aren't flat up front. It was more difficult for me to avoid that 7 o'clock flyer for me on the glock trigger than the p99 trigger. I later learned my dad had the NY trigger in his glock(i ended up fixing that for him this past xmas)...but even shooting alucard's WELLL worked trigger on his g30 didn't feel as nice TO ME as my p99.

The p99 trigger is one you have to get used to though. If you're used to a 1911 or sig trigger, the two-stage feel of the p99 trigger may take a magazine or two to feel comfortable. The best way to shoot it is to just let it reset and press again without excess motion. If you shoot it that way, it's much better than the glock

grip/ergos-
    p99 was a HUUUUGE winner...FOR ME. Many people's complaint about the glock is, "the gun's great and i want to like it, i just can't get past the weird ergonomics". Cesare Morini designed the grip for the p99, and did a wonderful job. It consistently jumps in to your hand right where it's supposed to be. The interchangeable backstraps are nice and much better thought out than the genIV glocks...however, i like the m&p backstraps a little better. The m&p backstraps do better at increasing width with the bigger backstraps and don't leave that goofy hump at the bottom when using the small backstrap.

The p99's mag release punks glock's bigtime. It's unique and takes getting used to...and then it's lightning fast. It's also ambi. Shoot idpa a few times and you'll quickly learn the value of ambi controls on things. I like that i can just sweep my trigger finger down to pop a mag out. I don't need to shift my grip at all like i would with a standard american mag release. I can compress in, sweep my trigger finger down while maintaining my grip, index and seat the new mag and then almost instantly push out and start shooting again. It becomes much more intuitive and fast than other mag releases.
    recoil-
    glock gets the edge for less muzzle-flip
    They're both 9....sooo....recoil's almost non-existent. The glock has a weird sproing to it's recoil that almost reminds me of shooting an ar without a greased buffer spring. It also just flexes like crazy and feels flimsy when recoiling. It's odd getting used to. I don't like the sawblade on the rear left of the glock's slide that rubs my thumb when i have a high grip either.

The p99 is very comfortable to hold, but has a relatively high bore-axis. This translates to more muzzle-flip than shooting a glock. I wish the rear of the p99's grip was more like the m&p, with an extended beaver tail. Instead, it almost curves back downwards at the back and inhibits a high hold. ...however, as the video below shows...it's still very easy to control.(look at the steel and the bullet splash downrange)

reliability:
    toss up
    Both of them are incredibly reliable(unless you're talking about genIV g19's). They both are tennifer treated and pretty much impervious to corrosion. The new glock with the new MIM extractor have given some people problems. If you're buying a new g19, it'll probably be fine, but you may need to just replace the extractor with a good aftermarket one. Neither my dad's g19 nor my p99 have ever had a malfunction caused by the firearm. My p99's malfunctions were all ammo related(loaded 9mm load into a .380 casing because i was careless...it overpressured like crazy, but didn't do any harm to the gun. It just stuck the brass in the chamber from how much it flowed under high pressure and needed to be popped out from the muzzle...others were bad primers that didn't bang)

part/aftermarket availability:
    everything handgun related is made for a g19...from holsters, to sights, to trigger stuff, carbine uppers, shoulder stocks, barrels....etc. It'll make buying accessories easier or should you find the need to tinker with a perfectly good gun, the tinkering easier.

The p99 has holsters available in galco, crossbreed...etc, meprolight sights and tons of other stuff...but in no way is the aftermarket support as big as with the glock.

accuracy
    p99 wins. Ultimately, very very few shooters are able to shoot well enough for the gun to be the limiting factor. For 99% of shooters, the gun isn't to blame for the groups you're getting. However, the p99 is going to probably have better accuracy potential than most glocks. Glocks are superbly accurate, but usually 2-3" would be reasonable for 25 yds as the gun's limit. The p99 is sent with a factory tested target. Mine came in roughly 1.5" at 25 yds. From shooting i've done with it.....i believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom