• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    So I was reorganizing my safes and I took out some ARs and a revolver that I havent touched in a while. I noticed some small patches of rust on specific areas. On 3 of my ARs I noticed small patches of rust on all the screws that hold the quad rails in places. I also noticed rust on the cylnder release of my S&W revolver. The rust spots were easily removed with a wet cloth. What should I do to prevent this from happening? I have a hygometer in the room and the humidity stays around 40%

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So I was reorganizing my safes and I took out some ARs and a revolver that I havent touched in a while. I noticed some small patches of rust on specific areas. On 3 of my ARs I noticed small patches of rust on all the screws that hold the quad rails in places. I also noticed rust on the cylnder release of my S&W revolver. The rust spots were easily removed with a wet cloth. What should I do to prevent this from happening? I have a hygometer in the room and the humidity stays around 40%

Rust works 24/7. It can have the damnedest way of finding the exact places and tiny surface areas we sometimes tend to miss when it comes to wiping firearms down with a preventative coating prior to storage. Especially true if storage is longer term.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Eezox or Ballistol, religiously. Keep a big rag handy that's full of the stuff. Pull the guns out every now and then and wipe them down with the rag. If there's not a Goldenrod in your safe, buy one now.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Eezox, CLP or even hopes oil once a year, keep the humidity below 45% and you should be good.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Eezox or Ballistol, religiously. Keep a big rag handy that's full of the stuff. Pull the guns out every now and then and wipe them down with the rag. If there's not a Goldenrod in your safe, buy one now.

Boom Boom, I think you hit the nail square on the head. I'm always concerned about rust. Lots of attention paid to products, with a number of products being good I believe, and some being perhaps better than others. But to me anyway, the real key is to wipe guns down regularly. I couldn't personally trust anything else.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Decent thread, results are subject to a skeptical eye but generally helpful

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=152062&highlight=protectant+test

Skepticism is important. Those tests are very questionable. I know from painful experience that Militec-1 at best provides zero protection and at worst promotes rust on white gun metal, and that's with a Goldenrod. Same goes for a bunch of others on the list when used on firearms as opposed to white sheet metal. Over more than a decade in a slightly-damp basement, I've had zero rust issues with Ballistol and Goldenrods. Anyone with nickle-plated guns needs to be especially careful because most of those preservatives (Ballistol included) will dissolve copper and cause nickel plate to lift and flake off.

Whatever is used, it's wise to check the guns often. The bigger your collection, the more you have to lose if you get it wrong for your particular setup/situation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had good luck with Birchwood Casey Sheath (now Barricade). Some firearsm stored for over 15 years, in soft cases, without any issues.

rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    Thanks for all the replies! I just coated the areas that seem to be prone to rust in Ballistol and added small bags of desiccant in all the safes. I also ordered a Goldenrod for the safe. Hopefully all these measure will do the trick!

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Does anyone have an opinion on Breakfree Collector? It is supposed to provide protection for long term storage. Thanks

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    You guys recommending the GoldenRods, do they really work any better than a lightbulb left on inside the safe all the time? According to the spec's I've seen, the GoldenRod is basically nothing more than a heater that keeps the inside of the safe a few degress warmer than the air outside.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You guys recommending the GoldenRods, do they really work any better than a lightbulb left on inside the safe all the time? According to the spec's I've seen, the GoldenRod is basically nothing more than a heater that keeps the inside of the safe a few degress warmer than the air outside.

Goldenrods can be put on the bottom of the safe (heat rises) and can stand up to minor bumps from firearm stocks although you shouldn't rest anything directly on it, long term.

Bulbs are bulky and break but more importantly the Gaia worshiping, whale saving, granola munching, dolphin safe, Pruis left-lane-driving, crowd, has seen to it all of the ones that generate heat have been outlawed.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Goldenrods can be put on the bottom of the safe (heat rises) and can stand up to minor bumps from firearm stocks although you shouldn't rest anything directly on it, long term.

Bulbs are bulky and break but more importantly the Gaia worshiping, whale saving, granola munching, dolphin safe, Pruis left-lane-driving, crowd, has seen to it all of the ones that generate heat have been outlawed.

LOL you're right! Hadn't considered that aspect. Oh woe is me, what will I do when my last incandescent burns out? :)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Ballistol works well for me also. For long term storage I use a Rig Rag. I had guns in my unheated attached garage for 10+ years and not one bit of rust on them when I took them out. Also have used good, cheap old bearing grease in the past for long term storage.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

This past week, I was at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Lowe's. All three have ample supply of incandescent bulbs for sale in whatever bulb size you want. There seemed to be more incandescent bulbs than all other types combined.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    This past week, I was at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Lowe's. All three have ample supply of incandescent bulbs for sale in whatever bulb size you want. There seemed to be more incandescent bulbs than all other types combined.

No 100 watt I'll bet. They'e been phasing out bulbs slowly but surely. 100 watt were the 1st to go. 75's are next. I've been buying the bulk packs of incandescent bulbs while I can. I won't be around long enough to realize the savings from LED and CFL bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom