• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chromedragon70

Dec 29, 2012
    Eldersburg/Sykesville
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3S1903A3SS

Nice shooter rifle. Here is their description:

Springfield 1903 A3 30.06 caliber bolt actions Rifles. Each has been professionally refurbished utilizing brand new modern US production 4-groove barrels, Original U. S. Smith Corona or Remington Receivers and fitted with walnut stocks. Collectors, here is your chance to own a beautiful and important piece of American Military History. These are not the low serial number rifles. While supplies last.

dre271

Dre
    Oct 9, 2011
    Howard County
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3S1903A3SS

Nice shooter rifle. Here is their description:

Springfield 1903 A3 30.06 caliber bolt actions Rifles. Each has been professionally refurbished utilizing brand new modern US production 4-groove barrels, Original U. S. Smith Corona or Remington Receivers and fitted with walnut stocks. Collectors, here is your chance to own a beautiful and important piece of American Military History. These are not the low serial number rifles. While supplies last.

I heard a rumor that AIM was getting these refurbs from 'James River' based in MD?

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/

T/F?

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i havent heard any quality issue.

its likely they are coming from james river.

though AIM was also selling those gibbs replica snipers, so its possible gibbs is doing refurb 03's too.

more interesting to me, i noticed they have some yugo capture/reworked k98s in stock.

they also have german p1's but since they're in MD C&R pistols have to go through a dealer.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    SARCO had some refurbed 1903A3s for $595. I picked up one and it looks great. NOS barrel (1943), wood in excellent condition, no rust or pits. GI replacement parts used as needed. Couldn't be happier.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/originalgi1903a3springfields.aspx

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

DSC_0264.JPG

Last edited:

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    Thanks for the tips, i have been wanting a 1903.

AIM had been selling the Gibb rifles, and the pictures and the copy ad look exactly the same except that theGibb name was removed. There has been much hate debate regarding the Gibbs due to the rumor that they were refurbish (is this the right term?) Drill rifles and that the welding weakened the receivers. This is interwebb talk so i have no idea if it is true. Right now the SARCO looks really interesting.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    1903 & A3 are gone from the north store the only ones they get go to auction now.

Most places that come up with newly refurbished 1903s these days are doing so with recovered drill rifles. Gibbs james river ans several others all use recovered drill rifles. Some are ok some I would steer clear of. Either way for they ask you can get a nice real deal 03/A3 with some history.

Almost got a james river myself as they look beautiful but for the price I got the real deal which will hold its value or appreciate. If you are looking for a shooter a refurb is good but virtually impossible you will get your money out of it if you ever decide to sell it. You have to weigh what your plans are for the rifle and how much you want to pay. Many old A3s are great shooters as is.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    If the sarco are not recovered, i would definitely go for one. The price and condition is soooo good.
    I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out / make a purchase.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Under the barrel there is usually a weld where the former barrel was welded to the receiver.

Also the mag cut off lever is usually welded and while these can be ground off you can usually see it because the metal does not take park the same way and the surface looks different.

http://m214.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Mgood08/M1903Welds003.jpg.html?o=23
    http://m214.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Mgood08/M1903Welds004.jpg.html?o=26
    http://m214.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Mgood08/M1903Welds004.jpg.html?o=26

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Ok, once I get it in my hands I'll check it out. My buddy ordered two, I'm gonna buy one if it's good. Here is a few pics he sent me, we were supposed to get together today but he had things to do. I know zip about 1903's aside from I want one. :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363568686.915938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363568709.608652.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363568731.105797.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363568747.391312.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363568771.251366.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363568801.565632.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    COGCON, would you mind snapping a picture of tthe magazine cut off lever? A step in the de mil is to glob weld slop all over the lever.

The cut off lever does look like a replacement part because it seems darker that the rest of the receiver, but I do not see any obvious burrs or discolorations on the receiver where they would have removed the glop. I also bought a demilled drill rifle from SOG for my son (US Navy Ceremonial Guard), so I understand where it would be plugged and welded.

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Cogcon - how long did it take for you to recieve your 03. ?

Less than a week from ordering. If I remember correctly, the lady I ordered from said SARCO was rebuilding these, so there may be a lag. I interpreted rebuilding as replacing worn parts and barrels per the item description in their ad...not the recovering of a demilled drill rifle. That said, I don't know for sure.

Either way, the rifle I received looks fabulous and there is NO issues (reweld marks) with the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom