• ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I think they changed their descriptions recently. All the long guns say:
    - chrome lined 16.15 inch barrel with removable muzzle brake
    - high quality barrel manufactured by Lothar Walther in Germany

Holy crap, if they were made by walther, then that's just fine with me.

Walther has some of the best heat treating tech on the planet, as well as literally about a hundred years of experience.

A good chrome lined barrel from walther is just fine by me

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    or, you know, used the original dimensions so you could buy a surplus chromed barrel and replace the old one when shot out.

The barrel channel in the vz-2008 receiver is wider than a vz-58, you can't use factory barrels on them.

I've been thinking about pressing out my barrel and getting it melonited

How do you set the headspace on something like a VZ, with the locking lugs & notches located back behind the barrel in the receiver? Just press & try? What if you go to far?

Would it be feasible and perhaps easier to melonite the entire barrel & action?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Not if the Ruger is fixed. :)

I can't find my email from Ruger but per my question to them they changed the Mini 30 bore diameter to .310-.311 in 1990 or 1992. The early ones had a .308 diameter. The ones since then work fine.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I can't find my email from Ruger but per my question to them they changed the Mini 30 bore diameter to .310-.311 in 1990 or 1992. The early ones had a .308 diameter. The ones since then work fine.

Wow, knowing they were shit Ruger being the stand up company we would like to think it is should rebore OR replace the barrel. Even Winchester (Olin) did it on faulty firing pins on the model 100's up to a couple years ago. Well sort of, they exchanged the pin for the old design.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    You may want to consider the PTR 32 Rifle these should be MD legal as far as we know.

PTR32KFRblog.gif

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Wow, knowing they were shit Ruger being the stand up company we would like to think it is should rebore OR replace the barrel. Even Winchester (Olin) did it on faulty firing pins on the model 100's up to a couple years ago. Well sort of, they exchanged the pin for the old design.

You would think, but it would probably cost them a fortune as they sold a lot of these.:sad20:

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    What about the CZ 805 Bren which has their multi caliber quick change barrel.
    I hear that it will be available for the civilian market sometime in 2017.

I heard that it's coming earlier than that, sometime in 2015 in fact, it's being brought in with no stock as a pistol along with the Scorpion Evo 9 (a 9mm sub gun), the Evo is compatible with the Sig brace, don't know about the 805

Someone will have to add them to the roster of course.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I didn't hear about it coming or if it would ever be importable like the Galil ACE that is why I did not include it.

If so then :party29:.

Yep.

That was only a sale where they had them on a few.

I can only speculate that either they received a bad batch of barrels from Czech Small Arms Company so replaced them with surplus one's that were already stateside or they were customer returns where they did not know the barrel's lifespan so playing it safe must have replaced the barrels.

Again IDK why they did it I am just speculating. Wish I took advantage of them but I am still recovering from my Gun Buy Spree of 2013.

Depends on how much you shoot.

Me personally shooting a Combloc round I would only use chrome-line hammer forged barrels for the longevity since I am no gunsmith nor do I want to have to pay for one. I want it to last.

Also since the barrel has no lining coupled with a steel case (since I assume that will be what you will be shooting since that is the cheap, widely available cartridge in that caliber) means more friction increasing wear to the throat, chamber, and extractor that can cause issues down the line as well as the type of powder burned that also further increases wear depending on what company you use. (Tula, Wolf, etc. all have different powders although they look and function the same).

There are many factors to this. That is why I stay with the factory standard so I know what I have and not have to second guess a U.S. aftermarket part of dubious, unknown quality.

It was only a small batch of "rejects" that had them. I say that because Czechpoint said they were selling them as is and had scratches on the finish making them "used" rifles but still said they functioned.

They are no longer on the website.

Plus they seem to be out of everything except the Cali-legal ones.

A buddy of mine has since removed the barrel on two of his VZ-2008s, had them melonited (I believe by Parker Trutec) and then re-installed them into his rifles.

So far they look and shoot great other than a dirty dirty residue in the bore when he first got them back.

Apparently it took about 30 rounds through each barrel before the groups really started to tighten back up, but now they are as good as they were originally.

I think I may go this route, as melonite/nitriding is a GREAT match for steel jacketed commie ammo.

After blasting a couple hundred rounds through one of the rifles, I was amazed how easy it was to clean. A spray of some ballistol, and literally after a single pull of the bore snake it looked like black polished glass.

After everything I've seen, I am a firm believer of nitriding over chromed bores so long as they are done correctly. I've really got a bug up my ass to get my non chromed bores melonited.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    How do you set the headspace on something like a VZ, with the locking lugs & notches located back behind the barrel in the receiver? Just press & try? What if you go to far?

Would it be feasible and perhaps easier to melonite the entire barrel & action?

you know, since it's pressed and not threaded, it would probably be fine. The only reason it's a pain in the ass with barrel extensions is the metal expanding and contracting at different rates on AR barrel extensions.

In any case, on both of my buddy's rifles he just pinned them back in where they were originally pinned using the same holes and checked heaspace afterward.

Trouble was, to keep from installing the wrong barrel in the wrong action, he had made a mark on the barrel that corresponded to each receiver, however to melonite the parts, they removed the finish by blasting, and in the process removed the marks. Luckily the threads on the one barrel had a slight defect in them, and he was able to match up the barrels/receivers on that basis, and everything ended up headspacing just fine.

But to answer your question, yes, you just press until the gauge either does or does not allow the action to close, and then drill the hole if it's a virgin barrel.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Not if the Ruger is fixed. :)

The new mini-30s, like the newer mini-14s, are much much more accurate than their predecessors. I had thought it was just due to the heavier barrel contour (which does make the rifle slightly less handy), but if it's also a bore issue, well that's just dandy.

All I know is they seem to work just fine, and Tapco mags work just dandy in the new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom