• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi all,

I've decided I really want to become proficient with a pistol and have been practicing a lot recently. I mainly shoot a G34 and various .22's but have other guns that I shoot from time to time.

What I've noticed is that I can usually get decent groups out at 15 yds with the 9mm (1.5-2") , but with so so consistency. I find I reach a peak, and then as I get tired / frustrated, accuracy diminishes greatly. With the .22, I can usually stay much more consistent with similar groups.

My question is, do any of you have a detailed practice regimen that might help iron some of this out? Is there a magic number of rounds per hour and breaks in between shots?

Thanks in advance!

-K

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    An excellent drill to practice is dot-torture. It's 50 rounds, and focuses on all of the key fundamentals in order to maximize ammo and training time. I shoot DT virtually every range session.

I've stopped shooting once I hit my fatigue point, as it's pointless to just toss ammo downrange for the sake of doing so.

You can also keep a log of what skills, in particular, you wish to practice each session, and try to keep each practice at 200 rounds (or less, if fatigued).

Do you want to work on speed? Reloads? Accuracy at distance? SHO/WHO? Keeping a range journal and using it in conjunction with a timer allows you to measure progress and identify what areas that need work.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    An excellent drill to practice is dot-torture. It's 50 rounds, and focuses on all of the key fundamentals in order to maximize ammo and training time. I shoot DT virtually every range session.

Thanks for sharing Pretoria! I'm a new-ish shooter trying to get better, and didn't really know what to do beyond putting rounds down range and measuring my groups after the fact. This will be much better!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I'll put on my crystal ball, and interpet that you are doing reasonably well ( presuming those are two hand standing group sized @ 15yd ) , but wish to be consistant/ maintain your abilities longer. Also that you do so for more rounds with .22lr .

The variables are the 9mm has comparitivly more recoil , and probably has a longer/ heavier trigger pull , and probably also heavier.

My first thought is work on some more finger/ hand/ wrist muscle tone. Even if you are in general a strapping beefy guy , pistol shooting uses specific minor muscles not usually used in combination. More muscle tone and endurance is never a bad thing. Try a Gripmaster , and some misc forearm exercises.

chairyland

Jul 7, 2014
    Howard County
    My first thought is work on some more finger/ hand/ wrist muscle tone. Even if you are in general a strapping beefy guy , pistol shooting uses specific minor muscles not usually used in combination. More muscle tone and endurance is never a bad thing. Try a Gripmaster , and some misc forearm exercises.

I can contribute one other thing too - I grabbed one of my wife's eight pound weights and a couple of times a day I'll hold it out at an arm's length until my muscles are on fire. It has increased the amount of time I can hold my full-size pistol at arms length before getting shaky.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Hi all,

I've decided I really want to become proficient with a pistol and have been practicing a lot recently. I mainly shoot a G34 and various .22's but have other guns that I shoot from time to time.

What I've noticed is that I can usually get decent groups out at 15 yds with the 9mm (1.5-2") , but with so so consistency. I find I reach a peak, and then as I get tired / frustrated, accuracy diminishes greatly. With the .22, I can usually stay much more consistent with similar groups.

My question is, do any of you have a detailed practice regimen that might help iron some of this out? Is there a magic number of rounds per hour and breaks in between shots?

Thanks in advance!

-K

Know when to quit. It might be at round 300, it might be at round 50. Two weeks ago I shot better than I ever have; last week, I knew within the first round that the day would be a waste. I stayed and blasted away 200rds anyway just to feel better about making the drive, but I should have just went home and saved the money on the ammo. In the end I did have what I felt was an acceptable target or two, but nothing like two weeks ago.

No worries. If you're new, start DT at 3 yards as it can be a challenging drill to clean.

I was thinking about doing the index card drill instead of dot torture. To the OP: you may feel like a goober shooting at 3y, but if you can't make a ragged hole at 3y then why should you think you can do something similar at 15y? Build the fundamentals close up, then push out when you're ready. Ultimately it's going to come down to knowing when to shoot and when not to shoot. I know I have a problem taking my time, breathing in, settling the sights, keeping them lined up, and then pulling the trigger. A lot of my 'called' fliers result from not taking the time to do this process for each and every shot.

I can contribute one other thing too - I grabbed one of my wife's eight pound weights and a couple of times a day I'll hold it out at an arm's length until my muscles are on fire. It has increased the amount of time I can hold my full-size pistol at arms length before getting shaky.

I don't find arm fatigue from presenting to be that much of an issue, even for my lightweight frame. I get more shoulder fatigue from tensing up an old injury than I do from a two-hand presentation - though I imagine one-handed bullseye presentation would fatigue me infinitely quicker. What I DO feel is an issue, is fatigue from gripping the pistol like it just insulted my momma; I have tried weakening the grip, but the muzzle really flips more...trying to find that exact grip strength is proving to be quite a challenge.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I think it depends on what you want out of shooting. Lately I have been working on speed and reloads. I carry so I normally shoot 7-10 yards at a silhouette. I don't normally care as long as I am on the target. I also shoot at a pie plate during part of the day to make sure I can keep better accuracy when I slow a down a bit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * In general * - Yes , you can practice precision even at redicously close distances. Try to make one hole groups at 3-5yds.

* In General * - To maintain skills , you can keep sharp with as few as 50rds done thoughtfully.

* In General * - To maintain , or slightly increase within your existing toolbox , fewer rounds more often is better than more at longer intervals . ( A particulary famous shootist ) usually had 10 round practice session .... Every day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The VERY first thing is to set your goals. Where do you want to be in 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?

How are you going to be using your handgun? Competition? What type? Bullseye? PPC? IDPA? USPSA?

Then look at the requirements for what YOU want to do, and look online for drills to develop those skills.

And the other thing you can do, is to take a formal course.

When I was shooting USPSA a lot, I took a 3 day course from one of the top shooters in the country. That 3 day course caused my shooting to mid pack in one class, to winning in the next higher class. Also taught me drills that I could use on my own.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Drills are definitely the way to go. You need measurable goals. No way of tracking improvement without a bar to aim for(no pun intended). Also, try shooting with someone with more experience or an instructor. I know the few times I have worked with someone has really helped me. Not only did I get good instruction, but a trained eye can spot your flaws and suggest ways to improve it.

Remember, training by making the same mistake over and over does not improve you skills.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    The VERY first thing is to set your goals. Where do you want to be in 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?

How are you going to be using your handgun? Competition? What type? Bullseye? PPC? IDPA? USPSA?

Then look at the requirements for what YOU want to do, and look online for drills to develop those skills.

And the other thing you can do, is to take a formal course.

When I was shooting USPSA a lot, I took a 3 day course from one of the top shooters in the country. That 3 day course caused my shooting to mid pack in one class, to winning in the next higher class. Also taught me drills that I could use on my own.

who and where was this?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ron Avery. We shot at the police range in Salisbury.

MANY years ago. :)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Ok , I'll put on my crystal ball, and interpet that you are doing reasonably well ( presuming those are two hand standing group sized @ 15yd ) , but wish to be consistant/ maintain your abilities longer. Also that you do so for more rounds with .22lr .

The variables are the 9mm has comparitivly more recoil , and probably has a longer/ heavier trigger pull , and probably also heavier.

When I shot NM handgun, we used those spring resistance grip squeezers (I guess that's what you mean by gripmaster) to strenghthen our strong hand and arm. Using one while driving back and forth to work every day was enough to build and tone the muscles if used at full arm extension. Squeeze, hold 10 seconds, then release slowly; repeat, etc..

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    If you are shooting for accuracy and consistency pay attention to the ammo you use.
    Look at LOT NUMBERS on the packaging. It may be the ammo is changing more than you.

Last edited:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    If your goal is proficiency leading to bullseye competition, then these are all reasonable approaches. However, if your goal is proficiency leading to effective home & self-defense, then improving your shot groups through precision shooting is not an effective approach. If the former, then you're on the right path, if the latter, then I recommend starting with the NRA Basic Pistol course, then taking the NRA Personal Protection Inside The Home (PPITH) course, followed by the Personal Protection Outside The Home (PPOTH) course, then move into IDPA at TCSC, AAFG, & Peacemaker NTC. You'll find all those places using Google.

There are multiple approaches, classes, techniques, etc, but they need to be consistent with your end goal in order to be effective.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I will have to try the dot drill.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Tried it this evening, at 4 yards.

Talk about tough. Didn't shoot a perfect round in 4 attempts but had a blast. Both 22lr and 9mm.

Also no holster draw at my range, so I modified with low ready. Not the same but still very tough. This was the most fun I've had punching paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom