• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I heard Jesse Ventura promoting his Kennedy Conspiracy book the other day.
    One thing got my attention, he stated Carlos Hathcock had tried to replicate the Oswald shot at JFK multiple times using a closely matched Carcano and could not repeat the accuracy in the time estimated by the government.
    Has anyone else ever heard of this? I know Mr. Hathcock died in 1999, but couldn't find any reference to this "attempt". I just find this hard to believe.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Bullsheet.

Oswald's shots have been replicated many times by many shooters.

I never heard of Hathcock doing it: I doubt he tried. But plenty of others have done it. It's really not that difficult.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Bullsheet.

I never heard of Hathcock doing it: I doubt he tried. But plenty of others have done it. It's really not that difficult.

^This, on all points.

I'd find it hard to believe that IF Mr. Hathcock ever HAD attempted to recreate the shots, that he would've had any great degree of difficulty doing so.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I've been trying to find it on youtube, but haven't been able. One of the history or discovery channel affiliates recreated it years and years ago with one rifle.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I don't doubt the ability to put rounds on target

I think whats always been questionable/suspicious is the "possibility" that a single shooter from the location Oswald shot from was able to make a couple bullets make so many right angle turns to cause all of the wounds it did

As I recall the ballistics support more than one shooter from more than one location.

But what do I know......

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    When a bullet hits a target it deflects. At the end of effective range the bullet slows due to friction and this effect is exaggerated. Look up 5.56 ballistic tests in gelatin. The bullet tumbles causing massive damage. Or you could I dunno test it yourself hunting.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    When a bullet hits a target it deflects. At the end of effective range the bullet slows due to friction and this effect is exaggerated. Look up 5.56 ballistic tests in gelatin. The bullet tumbles causing massive damage. Or you could I dunno test it yourself hunting.

Ok, but we're not talking about a 55gr 5.56 projectile traveling at a relatively high speed

We're taking about a 6.5x52 round with ~160gr mass that has ballistics that are pretty close to a 30-06

Its really an apples and peas discussion.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56338
    The cartridge was known to have inflicted many “through and through” wounds, just leaving a small wound channel. The bullet typically would not tumble inside its’ target unless it encountered something hard such as bone. When it did tumble the wounding effect is well known.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Buy some tracer rounds (if there are any) and shoot at plate steel.
    Or look at a car accident sometime. Two high mass objects, two relatively slow moving objects. And how often are they "glued" together after the accident?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I do not know this Hatchcock character but if Hickok45 cant replicate it I'm all in on the conspiracy theory.

Please, read up on Mr. Carlos Hathcock, aka "Whitefeather". Not only was he a brave and honorable serviceman to our country, he was arguably the best long range rifleman ever known. He was certainly not a "Character".

With that said, I have seen internet references to the attempts at replicating the shots. I believe the result was that the shot could not have been done on that rifle in the limited time frame...kinda supporting the multiple shooter theory. I would just like to find a viable reference to Whitefeather's attempt at this.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    IT WAS A JOKE....my lord folks.

Hickok45 is a recreational shooter and I'm sure would be the first to tell you is not on par with military snipers.

dungslinger

Jan 31, 2013
    The park
    Being a Marine Infantry rifleman, Gunny Hathcock is a Legend, I have read numerous books on him and I have never heard of him doing this attempt. Especially after his last tour in Vietnam.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    IT WAS A JOKE....my lord folks.

Hickok45 is a recreational shooter and I'm sure would be the first to tell you is not on par with military snipers.

When I saw your post my second thought was "uh-oh he forgot the smiley".

If anyone is interested the book "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy" by Vincent Bugliosi is a really good read and debunks the popular conspiracy theories. He was the prosecutor of Charles Manson.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Bullsheet.

Exactly including long time ago Towson gunshop owner Howard Donohue (sp?) with an article in the Baltimore Sun Papers (in the 70's).

Good luck

Jerry

paulstitz

Jun 19, 2010
    Cockeysville
    Exactly including long time ago Towson gunshop owner Howard Donohue (sp?) with an article in the Baltimore Sun Papers (in the 70's).

Good luck

Jerry

I remember the article and meeting Mr. Donohue in his shop.

I believe Oswald fired all the shots, Did he have help other wise? Don't know.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Please, read up on Mr. Carlos Hathcock, aka "Whitefeather". Not only was he a brave and honorable serviceman to our country, he was arguably the best long range rifleman ever known. He was certainly not a "Character".

With that said, I have seen internet references to the attempts at replicating the shots. I believe the result was that the shot could not have been done on that rifle in the limited time frame...kinda supporting the multiple shooter theory. I would just like to find a viable reference to Whitefeather's attempt at this.
    The only people who say it could not have been done and was not done since then are basically deniers. The key item was Oswald himself. He was wrong eye dominate. In the case of the Carcano it meant his head was over the stock out of the way of the bolt, so he could operate the bolt rapidly without taking his trigger finger off the trigger and his eye off the scope. As a result a correct test even by the NRA has shown that such a person could easily get at least 3 aimed shots off in the time frame. As an ex-Marine who was shown he did practice on occasion he may well have been good enough. Whether he actually did do it will likely remain a question of history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom