• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Get the Beretta- its better for more games -good for sporting and 5 stand. Just get a shell catcher so you dont have to stoop over to pick up your empties- T&S makes the one I use but I dont shoot much trap either.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Folks, I must thank everyone for their views and comments.I even received a PM with some good thoughts. I have to sit back and ponder what I want to do. I doubt that I will ever shoot competitively, due to my work schedule, but I want to shoot well. Why do something half a$$ed?

BT-99 vs a Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Trap? Yep the semi auto is more $$ but it will batter me less. I think a trip to PG County Trap and Skeet Center is needed.

You are exactly right. Don't do something half assed. If you intend to shoot Trap, buy a Trap gun. Get that BT99, you won't be sorry and will enjoy the hell out of it. If you get into other stuff later, simply buy the right gun for that purpose. Too many folks buy the so-called all around gun, only to take a bath on it later when it doesn't work out. Worse than that, they never really learn how to shoot trap because they are handicapped by their gun.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    don't sell the trap guns short...I love the parallel combs on the trap guns, especially for beginners, because I feel they provide a very consistent mount.

I have a 15yo and a 19yo that shoot every clay target game with "so called" dedicated trap guns, Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and Olympic Trap. My 15yo shoots a 32" Citori Plus and my 19yo shoots a 32" Citori Special Trap Edition. Both guns are setup to shoot about 60/40.

I meant the Browning BT-99 specifically, and single barrel trap guns in general. Anyone who can shoot skeet doubles with a BT-99 would impress the hell outta me!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    OK guys, where to look for one of these guns? Barts? Out of state? Gunbroker?

BTW, Redcobra, real funny mentioning the Ljutic. Their price is definitely out of my range.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I prefer 8 for clay shooting, but I shoot a mix of close, medium, and longer distances. I occasionally use 9 if I know the clays will be close/medium distance and fragile. I recommend starting out with 1oz loads. Go higher if recoil doesn't bother your shoulder.

The BT-99 is a great one-shot trap gun. Built like a tank. Heavy sucker, though. You might be better served with an O/U trap gun to give you more options for general clay shooting.

Since you mentioned $1,300, Miller's has a used Browning Superposed Broadway Trap O/U for $1,150.
    http://www.millersguns.com/used.htm
    Superposed is about as good as it gets from Browning. A potential downside is that it's listed on Miller's site as having fixed full and IM chokes.

Miller's also has a single-shot Perazzi trap gun listed for $1,495. If a single-shot gun works for you, it's not easy to do better than Perazzi.

Besides Miller's, I suggest looking at as many local shops as you have time for. I see used trap guns for sale often. Even in excellent or better condition, they often sell for half or less of a comparable new one.

Be careful jumping between brands, say from Browning to Italian brands like Beretta. Different brands tend to fit people differently. So if a Citori shoulders well on you, a Silver Pigeon might (or will) not, and vice versa.

I hope you are right handed (unlike me). Were I right handed, I would have a large collection of used but like new O/Us by now.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

BTW, Redcobra, real funny mentioning the Ljutic. Their price is definitely out of my range.

Miller's in DE (no sales tax). Clyde's if you want to start closer to home.

Absolutely not Gunbroker. Way too many variables are involved in getting a proper-fitting break-open shotgun for each individual. Plus no two stocks are bent the same.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    If I were buy a new one I would go to Millers. You will also be able to haggle.... a little. If I wanted a used one (which I would not), I would try to find something on trapshooters.com. A BT holds it's value very well, so in a used gun you might save $300-400, but it's going to have some mileage. Also, there is no shotgun out there that has been altered more than a trap gun. Some alterations are good, some are not and you need to know what you are doing in that used market. I would opt for a new gun.

Just as a point of interest, the first one I ever bought was $265 NIB. 32" Full. About 1973.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

I would seriously look on trapshooters.com if you are looking for a good used gun. They are much less than if you buy from a dealer. If looking new, I would go to Miller's in Delaware. Browning and Berretta dealers. I would go to Jack Bart if I wanted a new Guerini. I bought both my Urika 2 PT and Silver Pigeon new from Miller's, most of my others off trapshooters. The guys there will ship to a local FFL of your chosing.

Or, you check the boards at LR and the AGC, hang out and shoot at the AGC trap and let it be known you are looking for a gun. Someone always wants to upgrade and sell their current gun.I've seen a goodly number of gun sales start on the AGC trap field. "Nice BT-99." "Yea but I want a Caesar." Oh, you thinking of selling that BT-99? Can I try it?".........

ps: Blackthorne is right. Unless you know what your LOP, DAC, DAH etc. measurements are best. You definitely want to shoulder (if not try) the gun. So what I did is buy the gun from Miller's, got it fit and modified by Jack Bart, and then looked for used with the same measurements. If you want to try a BT-99, Silver Pigeon or Beretta SA...meet me at LR and try them out. Just furnish your own shells:)

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    BT-99's are great singles trap guns, but that's about it. If you're a singles trap shooter, I'd go for it. If you want to play shotgun games, I'd get the 391.

I have a Beretta 391 Urika 1 Parralel Target that has tens of thousands of rounds through it without a single part replaced. The only upgrade which is almost a necessity, IMO, is an extended bolt release. It gets old real fast closing that action with the factory button.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    If you really intend to shoot Trap as your main clay sport get the BT99. I would get the standard model and ship the stock off to Rod Stumbo of Rods Custom Stocks and have him cut the stock for an adjustable comb with steel hardware,the stock Browning hardware leaves a lot to be desired. In my opinion a comb is all that is needed, as you progress you will eventually need to get the gun to pattern higher and the comb will allow that. When I started i was shooting a gun that shot flat, as I have learned and progressed I get on the bird a lot sooner, now my gun is set to shoot 80% high.
    As far a ammo goes I shoot 8's, 1oz at 1200fps for practice and 1 1/8,1145 fps for competition from the 16, currently I have settled on the AA Super handicap 7.5, 1235fps for my handicap which I find is softer shooting than the Remington Nitro's.
    Trap will really get in some shooters blood such as myself, others will find it boring. For me knowing that trap requires perfection is what really makes it interesting and frustrating. Some days everything comes together and other days the wheels fall off. Last week in the opening Heart Of Md league shoot ran 46 straight birds and then lost 3 hard lefts from position 1 for a 47 at handicap. Only thing I can figure is I just let up on my concentration,just a momentary lapse will cost you.
    I love competing and if you get into trap you really should start shooting some of the leagues and ATA shoots. The Heart Of MD league is held at several clubs in central MD, Carroll County Winter league is an excellent league, Carney has a winter league, its a lot of fun competing and you can even win some money and a nice trinket.

DSCN0179.jpg

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    BT-99's are great singles trap guns, but that's about it. If you're a singles trap shooter, I'd go for it. If you want to play shotgun games, I'd get the 391.

I have a Beretta 391 Urika 1 Parralel Target that has tens of thousands of rounds through it without a single part replaced. The only upgrade which is almost a necessity, IMO, is an extended bolt release. It gets old real fast closing that action with the factory button.

How difficult was it to change the bolt closer?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    If you really intend to shoot Trap as your main clay sport get the BT99. I would get the standard model and ship the stock off to Rod Stumbo of Rods Custom Stocks and have him cut the stock for an adjustable comb with steel hardware,the stock Browning hardware leaves a lot to be desired. In my opinion a comb is all that is needed, as you progress you will eventually need to get the gun to pattern higher and the comb will allow that. When I started i was shooting a gun that shot flat, as I have learned and progressed I get on the bird a lot sooner, now my gun is set to shoot 80% high.
    As far a ammo goes I shoot 8's, 1oz at 1200fps for practice and 1 1/8,1145 fps for competition from the 16, currently I have settled on the AA Super handicap 7.5, 1235fps for my handicap which I find is softer shooting than the Remington Nitro's.
    Trap will really get in some shooters blood such as myself, others will find it boring. For me knowing that trap requires perfection is what really makes it interesting and frustrating. Some days everything comes together and other days the wheels fall off. Last week in the opening Heart Of Md league shoot ran 46 straight birds and then lost 3 hard lefts from position 1 for a 47 at handicap. Only thing I can figure is I just let up on my concentration,just a momentary lapse will cost you.
    I love competing and if you get into trap you really should start shooting some of the leagues and ATA shoots. The Heart Of MD league is held at several clubs in central MD, Carroll County Winter league is an excellent league, Carney has a winter league, its a lot of fun competing and you can even win some money and a nice trinket.

DSCN0179.jpg

While you are shipping that stock off, find out what LOP fits you best and have that done too. Standard length doesn't fit me so I had my Beretta's cut to length. The advange of the BT-99 Plus to me was the adjustable LOP system which allowed me to get to 14" from the standard 14 1/2". Some guns come even longer, and yes 1/2" makes a difference in fit.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Watch the video first - sames a lot of fumbling around. All you need is a small drift punch and a paper clip. If you use the Briley, put a dab of locktite on the screw.

wingsout2

Mar 2, 2012
    Beretta Silver Pigeon 20ga.

I see that there is a Silver Pigeon posted "Little Brother". I'm looking for a pre-owned Beretta Silver Pigeon 20ga 28" in good to excellent shape?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom