MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEED HQL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    This is what now is posted on MSP webpage under FAQ about the handgun license. ...

Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police is currently seeking advice regarding this answer. Once a response has been received, an MSP Licensing Division Advisory will be issued.

Seems to me that Advisory No. 2 has been issued.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    To make matters worse - personel down at MSP in Pikesville, told one of my FFL I deal with that an HQL will be needed to pick up ANY regulated item (requiring a 77R) they had to turn down customers, and their business probably is taking a hit from misinformation.

Consider that after October 1st, handguns will be the only regulated firearms. Previously regulated long guns will be banned. So, while they weren't providing misinformation, I'm sure they were just being dcks. (And that doesn't stand for "ducks".)

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    What horseshit - there are going to be plenty of people (1k a day, right?) who don't see this and run out and get something only to find out they're screwed. Dealers buying stock, too.

This State would be better off it were run by rhesus monkeys.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Consider that after October 1st, handguns will be the only regulated firearms. Previously regulated long guns will be banned. So, while they weren't providing misinformation, I'm sure they were just being dcks. (And that doesn't stand for "ducks".)

Im talking about people pending approval/wait period for regulated purchased before Oct 1. We know you wont be able to purchase one afterwards, unless the law gets thrown out (fat chance)

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

That is a perfect example of just how confusing the MDSP has made things.

Take this hypothetical....

Someone goes today and purchases a handgun based on the Advisory that they can pick up after Oct 1 without a HQL. The person picks up the gun on Oct 3, using the pre Oct 1 77r and without possessing a HQL. Sometime after the purchase the MDSP are told that their Advisory doesn't comply with the law.

How do they correct the mistake? Go to the purchaser and retrieve the gun from him? What if the person does not comply?

This is just one example of how messy this can get...

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    That is a perfect example of just how confusing the MDSP has made things.

Take this hypothetical....

Someone goes today and purchases a handgun based on the Advisory that they can pick up after Oct 1 without a HQL. The person picks up the gun on Oct 3, using the pre Oct 1 77r and without possessing a HQL. Sometime after the purchase the MDSP are told that their Advisory doesn't comply with the law.

How do they correct the mistake? Go to the purchaser and retrieve the gun from him? What if the person does not comply?

This is just one example of how messy this can get...

Nah, they'll just make them pay for a HQL. Their budget is counting on 68,000 HQL's being issued in 2014, with the 7 day release lawsuit, they lost a lot of money.

At the rate of 1000 purchases a day, and spurring a rush, it puts money in the coffers.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Nah, they'll just make them pay for a HQL. Their budget is counting on 68,000 HQL's being issued in 2014, with the 7 day release lawsuit, they lost a lot of money.

At the rate of 1000 purchases a day, and spurring a rush, it puts money in the coffers.

I don't see how they can do that. By getting a court order to force someone to get a HQL, after following their improper advice?

I may just have to make a purchase today, and see about becoming a test case.

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    This is a mess for sure. and no doubt, some poor innocent person is going to get screwed. You would think that our great state .govs cound keep their shit in order on something as big as this. BUT NOOOOOOOO. they have to act like horses asses. My 11yo could run shit better than them.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Im talking about people pending approval/wait period for regulated purchased before Oct 1. We know you wont be able to purchase one afterwards, unless the law gets thrown out (fat chance)

Understood. But you said they said regulated firearms. After the first, all of the regulated long guns become assualt rifles and are banned, not regulated.

I know it sounds like I'm quibbling (and I am), but that's what you will hear from them, "I never said that; I said this. Blah, blah, blah."

Mr H

Banana'd
    This is the MDSP's second decision of questionable legality this month.

Doesn't this support the claim that their opinion on an individual's G&S is suspect?

I would certainly be willing to put it in the same basket!

Generally speaking, the state is now faced with a bunch of decisions that are all negatives for them.

Do they walk through the acid lake, the pit of fire, or the room filled with angry hornets?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Press Release said:
    MSP has also used additional State Police personnel, who worked more than 24,000 hours of overtime in the past year. Despite those efforts, the number of pending purchase applications continued to grow.

How many tax dollars does it take to pay for 24,000 hours of overtime? Were they paid straight time, time-and-a-half, double-time for weekends and holidays? Just wondering where that money could have better been spent (or not spent).

The mid-range of a trooper salary is ~$58k. That equates to $27.88 per hour. Depending on how overtime is paid (assume time-and-a-half), the 24,000 overtime hours cost Maryland tax payers at least $1,003,846!!!

Good use of public funds.

(Oh, BTW, that's just wages. It doesn't inlcude the cost of associated benefits, which will drive the taxpayer burden higher!)

Last edited:

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    How many FFL's are willing to actually do this? I'm guessing not many if any. Too much potential to bite them in the ass.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    If this whole thing weren't so serious in terms of our civil rights it would be funny. I can see a Three Stooges parody staring MoM, Dougie and the MSP.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    How many tax dollars does it take to pay for 24,000 hours of overtime? Were they paid straight time, time-and-a-half, double-time for weekends and holidays? Just wondering where that money could have better been spent (or not spent).

The mid-range of a trooper salary is ~$58k. That equates to $27.88 per hour. Depending on how overtime is paid (assume time-and-a-half), the 24,000 overtime hours cost Maryland tax payers at least $1,003,846!!!

Good use of public funds.

It's far worse than that: they spent it on paperwork. Not one murder or violent crime prevented or solved. They lost money on the lawsuit, and they likely will spend a lot more losing more lawsuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom