• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Basically none of the powders I wanted were at the gun show, except for Trail Boss, so I got a pound of Titewad. The reloading supplies seller told me that Alliant has suspended production of reloading powder for a year, so no Bullseye for me. On the Hodgdon Burn Rate table, Titewad is two steps above Red Dot, and four above Clays. Some Googling shows that people say they use Clays or Red Dot data as a rough starting point, and that they load 2.5-3gr for a 158gr lead bullet with success as a mild target load.

Has anyone loaded .38 Special with Titewad before?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Basically none of the powders I wanted were at the gun show, except for Trail Boss, so I got a pound of Titewad. The reloading supplies seller told me that Alliant has suspended production of reloading powder for a year, so no Bullseye for me. On the Hodgdon Burn Rate table, Titewad is two steps above Red Dot, and four above Clays. Some Googling shows that people say they use Clays or Red Dot data as a rough starting point, and that they load 2.5-3gr for a 158gr lead bullet with success as a mild target load.

Has anyone loaded .38 Special with Titewad before?

I have not. I can say for sure that neither Hornady nor Speer nor Lyman nor Sierra's current editions list data for TiteWad in 38spl. For me, what I find more curious and perhaps more telling is that Hodgdon doesn't list data either. They do list TiteWad data in 45ACP. What that means I can't say. Perhaps never tested. Perhaps not an optimal choice. Perhaps not recommended.

For me, "perhaps" gives me sufficient pause that I'd be reallocating or trading off the TiteWad and looking far and wide for one of many powders with industry certified data. One man's opinion.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have used Titewad in .45acp loads, which works due to the fact that .45 acp is a low pressure cartridge (similar to most shotgun pressures, 10-14k psi). There is data from Hodgon to support this.

I would caution against using such a fast powder in high pressure loads like .38 or 9mm, as the pressure curve will sharply increase past the safe point.

If you can find data that safely supports it, go for it.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have used Titewad in .45acp loads, which works due to the fact that .45 acp is a low pressure cartridge (similar to most shotgun pressures, 10-14k psi). There is data from Hodgon to support this.

I would caution against using such a fast powder in high pressure loads like .38 or 9mm, as the pressure curve will sharply increase past the safe point.

If you can find data that safely supports it, go for it.

You bet it can.. This is why I gave out the data from Cast Bullets, With no input from me.
    With super fast and with super slow powders you have to be careful with rapid pressure changes. Sometimes in Small cases .01 to .02 tenths of a grain of powder can make pressures scream through the roof.
    That's why its prudent to use the powders listed in the middle of the reloading charts. They will in most cases have the safeist and best pressure curve. I load a bunch of small case wildcats and the smallest is 17 squirrel and in that case .02 can mean the difference of no pressure and blowing out a primer pocket.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I just called Hodgdon, and they said that they've been meaning to work up some Titewad loads for .38 Special, but not anytime soon since they are so busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom