• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What's your opinion on the upper receiver for hunting deer/pigs/javelina. Does it really need a dust cover and forward assist, or will it be fine without them? I'm still debating adding yet another caliber for me to reload (300 BLK) but $100 barrels is hard to pass up. I'll be matching said upper with an Aimpoint Pro. What do you think, sirs?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    DPMS

Thicker and more durable than a standard upper.

uprr.jpg

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    No need for Forward assist or dust cover. I know that there is a plug manufactured that fills the froward assist hole that highpower shooters use on their space guns to keep dirt out of that area.

Good luck

Jerry

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Most of the time, no.. not really needed. The FA is nice if you ever have an issue, sometimes the only option to resolve a jammed AR, but... I have one setup with an FA hole just plugged and it has been fine, cause it's never jammed up... That said, after taking Chad's class last night, I'll probably stick a FA in there, cause it sure is nice if you ever need it.

One thing I have found using the AR for hunting is that often times you need to be quiet, typical in hunting anything and if you have to drop the bolt, it is really loud, so.. I typically will ease mine forward with the CH. This can be an issue, cause you don't have the force needed to drive the bolt fully closed and locked. The FA will allow you to pull this off, just tap it home fully and it is very quiet compared to just dropping the bolt home from a locked open position. For this reason alone, all of my hunting AR's have a forward assist installed.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most of the time, no.. not really needed. The FA is nice if you ever have an issue, sometimes the only option to resolve a jammed AR, but... I have one setup with an FA hole just plugged and it has been fine, cause it's never jammed up... That said, after taking Chad's class last night, I'll probably stick a FA in there, cause it sure is nice if you ever need it.

One thing I have found using the AR for hunting is that often times you need to be quiet, typical in hunting anything and if you have to drop the bolt, it is really loud, so.. I typically will ease mine forward with the CH. This can be an issue, cause you don't have the force needed to drive the bolt fully closed and locked. The FA will allow you to pull this off, just tap it home fully and it is very quiet compared to just dropping the bolt home from a locked open position. For this reason alone, all of my hunting AR's have a forward assist installed.

This!:thumbsup:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I personally believe you need both. The dust cover will keep anything out of the bolt area when hunting in woods.

The last thing you want is your firearm to jam if you have a hog charge at you after either a miss or wounding the pig. That forward assist could be the difference in you gutting the pig or the pig gutting you.

Sure, everything I've mentioned is far fetched, but it can happen. YMMV and it's what you feel comfortable with. My 50 Beowulf has both. I haven't hunted hogs, but I bought the Beowulf with the expectation of this firearm being my hog gun.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I just set up a .300 Blackout for deer hunting this winter. It has both FA and dust cover. I typically walk through a lot of brush to get to my hunting area and I don't want anything smacking into my bolt. However rare that may be... Why not just have it covered? The FA just because it is a good idea. Either way it will be fine... But why not have both features?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I personally believe you need both. The dust cover will keep anything out of the bolt area when hunting in woods.

The last thing you want is your firearm to jam if you have a hog charge at you after either a miss or wounding the pig. That forward assist could be the difference in you gutting the pig or the pig gutting you.

Sure, everything I've mentioned is far fetched, but it can happen. YMMV and it's what you feel comfortable with. My 50 Beowulf has both. I haven't hunted hogs, but I bought the Beowulf with the expectation of this firearm being my hog gun.

Who'd you find that made a dust cover to fit the enlarged ejection port opening?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I had thought about a .50 Beowulf for a deer rifle in the past. I am going to try the .300 first. If I don't like it I may still go the .50 route.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I had thought about a .50 Beowulf for a deer rifle in the past. I am going to try the .300 first. If I don't like it I may still go the .50 route.

I have never considered the 50B for deer. I either use a 12 ga shotgun with rifled barrel or my 270 TC.

I don't know if I'm going to get to go out with the firearms this year. The knee still won't allow me to walk on uneven terrain. I guess I'll have to just be content with the crossbow in my backyard.

If I can only see that 10 pointer during legal hunting hours...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Anyone have recommendations on a hunting 300 BLK off the shelf upper ?

I had Scott's put together one with components that I selected with a friend (who built his).

Prior to taking this path, I was checking out options from PSA ...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...-sqr-13-5-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

(this one doesn't include the BCG or charging handle - but if you have a regular AR-15, these components are interchangeable)

At Slickguns, people seem to be happy with 300 BLK uppers from the following lower cost builders (that usually have 16-inch barrel options) ...

http://www.slickguns.com/content/hardened-arms
    http://www.slickguns.com/content/radical-firearms
    http://www.slickguns.com/content/runner-runner-guns

Another option is to get a 7.62x39 upper. The 7.62x39 round similar power as 300 BLK (7.62x35), and can be used for deer. One needs a different BCG and mags. PSA has one that sells out quick that includes BCG and charging handle and often is priced $340 or less ...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-pa47-16-7-62x39-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

(see comments in the reviews about mag options)

ETA: for the cost of a complete upper, and more simplicity in planning/preparation, when in stock, the Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK bolt action is a great alternative.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Radical Firearms makes a nice .300 Blackout upper for around $400 also. Has a Seekins long Keymod rail and they are built on Cerro Forge receivers. Pretty nice for the money.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm still waffling on the 300 BLK (which I have nothing for except some 5.56 brass) or 6.8 SPC (I have 500+ rounds of hunting ammunition and tons of reloading supplies) barrel. The 6.8 Noveske barrel is almost triple what the KAK 300 barrel runs.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I just bought a flat top upper receiver, with dust cover, FA, and a charging handle, from another member here. Glad I checked the classifieds here :D I'm going with a 6.8 build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom