• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm snagging a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 45 ACP tonight. I have brass, powder, and primers, but no bullets. I'm planning on using it for IDPA. Does anyone have a preference for bullet/powder combos for this?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Man, you sure are good for the gun Industry. I dare you to post your list now. Don't know much about the reloads, but you will love the RO. I shoot Wilson Combat WC thru mine for Bullseye. Good luck with new toy !

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm snagging a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 45 ACP tonight. I have brass, powder, and primers, but no bullets. I'm planning on using it for IDPA. Does anyone have a preference for bullet/powder combos for this?
    If you search around online, there are more pet loads for .45ACP than you can shake a stick at. I like 4.5 gr of Bullseye under 200 gr plated bullets - that's a nice, manageable, accurate loading for my old 1941 Colt, but that's only one load I've tried. You can use everything from Bullseye, to W231, to Unique, to Power Pistol, to Longshot, etc.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've used both plated and lead 200 grain SWC with both Bullseye and Unique. The only advantage I observed of using Unique over Bullseye was to spend more money. Not saying Unique is negative, just no real gain. Loads of 4.2 - 4.4 grains Bullseye, good quality mentioned bullets, and sound reloading technique, can shoot into 5.5" at 100 yards.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    45acp is a fun load to work with. Many of us go to the original 230 gr RN projectiles. Win231, Bullseye, Green Dot and Unique all power that bullet in both cast and plated beautifully.

Good luck...

:thumbsup:

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I'm using 230gr rn-fmj from everglades ammo on top of unique in the wife's spartan and their just as accurate as the hornady's plus it's free shipping and they show up in 2-3 days.

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    With .45 and cast bullets at major power factor you can still use fast powders and still maintain low pressures. I use a lot of WST and Red Dot with 200gr LSWC and 230gr LRN. Both are very fast and make PF at similarly low charge weights. Red dot is a bit faster and will make major with as low as 4gr with the LSWC at 1.125 in my range officer. Magnum or regular primers did not make a big enough PF difference to matter.

Many of the serious Single Stack shooters I know swear by Clays and the 200gr LSWC.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Man, you sure are good for the gun Industry. I dare you to post your list now. Don't know much about the reloads, but you will love the RO. I shoot Wilson Combat WC thru mine for Bullseye. Good luck with new toy !

Sadly, I've had to sell/trade some to get the new stuff. I'm still in the 30s, though :lol:

From what I've gathered here, the only two powders I have on hand that people tend to like for this are Unique and W231. I'll try to pick up some Bullseye and Titegroup today, and figure out the bullet situation while I'm picking up the powder. Thanks.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I acquired some Promo (Red Dot) powder to try in 45 ACP. Mainly because it is bulkier and fills the case more than Bullseye for equal velocities. Greater loading density typically is a more consisent load and better accuracy. It is mostly to experiment since I've never experienced inconsistency with Bullseye.

I used Green Dot. Found out it is not efficient unless one boosts the pressures up, especially with soft, swaged bullets. Blue Dot works well for 45 Super and Rowland class loads. I used it when I was working with a comped 45. I am not suggesting these powders now but reloaders do think, "I wonder..." a good bit.

Whether I shoot 185, 200, or 230 grain bullets, proper charges of Bullseye has never failed to perform well.

Last edited:

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    I acquired some Promo (Red Dot) powder to try in 45 ACP. Mainly because it is bulkier and fills the case more than Bullseye for equal velocities. Greater loading density typically is a more consisent load and better accuracy. It is mostly to experiment since I've never experienced inconsistency with Bullseye.

<snip>

It's consistent. I was getting SDs of 6-8 when I was loading red dot with a powder drop. A double charge would have overflowed.

The loads functioned so light that I had to swap in a 14lb recoil spring to get the pistol to cycle consistently and not smash brass, even at major PF.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    thanks for the feedback. I haven't loaded yet simply because I've been in the maintain supply mode. Single digit SD's are what I typically get with BE so your observation is encouraging. Is there any significant accuracy impprovement compared to? BE

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    thanks for the feedback. I haven't loaded yet simply because I've been in the maintain supply mode. Single digit SD's are what I typically get with BE so your observation is encouraging. Is there any significant accuracy impprovement compared to? BE

I have never tried bullseye. Red Dot and WST only in .45. Both are feel light with lead bullets. WST meters better but is temperature sensitive.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    5.7 grains of W-231 (IF you can find it!) and a 200 gr hardcast LSWC shoots really well and goes 907 fps out of my Gold Cup NM.

I happen to have both of those here. Thanks!

Jim,
    The biggest thing that I need to stress, regarding LSWC in the 1911/1911A1 platform, is the barrel throat.

In the picture below (not my pic, I 'borrowed it' from the 'net), the barrel throat/chamber on the LEFT is throated for WC or LSWC boolits. I refer to it as a "C" on it's back.
    The barrel throat/chamber shown on the right, is set up for "hardball" or RN boolits. (Note how the throat is shaped like a "U".)
    IF your barrel is throated this way, you MAY (more than likely) have problems feeding/chambering WC loads in your pistol.

Titegroup purchased today for $25. And 1000 Winchester SPP for $30. Bullets being ordered tomorrow. And maybe a holster.

Unless you have some of those 'new-fangled' small primer .45 acp cases, your small pistol primers ain't gonna work. You need LP primers for .45 acp.

mckkelso

Feb 19, 2009
    harford county
    check out tomKat ammunition i just picked up some ammo from them and man do they shoot not to mention they are a great group of people. And a industry partner. They may sell there bullets not sure but be worth asking them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom