MSP: FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCT 1 WON'T NEED HQL

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    WE WILL REQUIRE DECLARATORY JUDGEMENT ON THESE MATTERS. I AM THINKING THAT ONE OR MORE OF THE 2A GROUPS CAN GET THIS DONE. OTHERWISE ONE OF MORE OF US WILL NEED TO POOL OUR RESOURCES AND DO IT OURSELVES.

I think it is prudent.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Got AGC email saying they strongly recommend you don't break the law. Again I say, you pick up on Oct 1 and don't have a HQL...you r breaking the law! And as others have pointed out - there is a paper trail. Bad idea

Last edited:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    the press release was pure legalise, containing all the right buzz words to appease a judge when this goes to court.

buyers, have a protected right to have a handgun in the home. the state is walking on egg shells.

however, there is no constitutional protection to sell firearms for profit. even though the press release was sent to dealers, it talks about buyers only.

even without prosecution, administratively dealers could have their state licenses revoked.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Whether or not the MSP will enforce this or not; or whether or not a State's Attorney would prosecute; or whether any sort of political/public/media fallout happens is irrelevent.

The only thing that matters is whether or not you have the personal integrity to follow the law, despite the fact that the government says they will turn a blind eye.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Whether or not the MSP will enforce this or not; or whether or not a State's Attorney would prosecute; or whether any sort of political/public/media fallout happens is irrelevent.

The only thing that matters is whether or not you have the personal integrity to follow the law, despite the fact that the government says they will turn a blind eye.

Very well said.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Does the Gov, AG, & MSP really want this public relations nightmare on their hands? Imagine them going after FFL's & heaven forbid private citizens who were going along with this memo. There would be such an uproar over this charade.

Now imagine if a standoff or worse took place during one of these recoveries. Who's to blame at that point? This could end up in a very dark place.

I do not trust these guys, but a buddy has said f... them all, he's going to purchase, then pick up without the HQL. He really doesn't care, but given his training & expertise, I'd let him keep his handgun rather than take him on.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I'll blame the antihistamines on this animation. They made me do it.

Attachments

• gansler_msp_omg_2a.gif
      gansler_msp_omg_2a.gif
      116.3 KB · Views: 198

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Does the Gov, AG, & MSP really want this public relations nightmare on their hands? Imagine them going after FFL's & heaven forbid private citizens who were going along with this memo. There would be such an uproar over this charade.

Now imagine if a standoff or worse took place during one of these recoveries. Who's to blame at that point? This could end up in a very dark place.

I do not trust these guys, but a buddy has said f... them all, he's going to purchase, then pick up without the HQL. He really doesn't care, but given his training & expertise, I'd let him keep his handgun rather than take him on.

It may not be their choice in the end, in CA when they did the same thing, the court intervened and called for the guns to be confiscated.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    It may not be their choice in the end, in CA when they did the same thing, the court intervened and called for the guns to be confiscated.

That's one of the things that makes CA such a special place. Unfortunately, many in CA seem to lack backbone when it comes to fighting 2A matters.

There truly is a different mentality on this coast.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    That's one of the things that makes CA such a special place. Unfortunately, many in CA seem to lack backbone when it comes to fighting 2A matters.

There truly is a different mentality on this coast.

Really???

I just spent a lot of time out there. Their firearms community works diligently against their legislature on their repressive gun laws and they have to do it year round.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    the press release was pure legalise, containing all the right buzz words to appease a judge when this goes to court.

buyers, have a protected right to have a handgun in the home. the state is walking on egg shells.

however, there is no constitutional protection to sell firearms for profit. even though the press release was sent to dealers, it talks about buyers only.

even without prosecution, administratively dealers could have their state licenses revoked.

Wow, you just touched on an aspect I didn't think of.

Obviously they did it to reduce any potential court case rulings, but it also has a secondary effect, and I'm still grappling with it myself:

MSP released the letter to try and lessen their exposure in a court case saying that yes you could still pick up w/out HQL. I'm willing to wager they never expected is to see the fine line and pull back. I think they just opened up a huge new can of worms that harms them even more than just going with their previous ruling. Now they have left complete ambiguity and are actively encouraging people to break the law, just to reduce their exposure.

Now, however, the great minds of this community have realized their scheme and are actively telling people NOT to follow their recommendations on the grounds that it is still illegal, hence the silence from the AG today.

I'm staring to think they just hurt themselves more than helped with that letter.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Even if this sort of lawsuit doesn't occur, the MDSP/AG/governor would gain even more leverage over FFLs in the future that get ensnared in releasing handguns without an HQL. Many stores were not doing 8 day regulated firearms this summer until the MDSP was compelled to put out a release indicting that this was the law even if they hoped that FFLs would not follow it. Now with a proverbial sword of Damocles hanging over the head of FFLs that took the MDSP at their word that they could release handguns without an HQL post Oct 1, the MDSP in the future could influence the policy of these gun stores based on the whim of the next governor (e.g. Frosh) with the implicit threat that they were given latitude in the past but could easily be shut down for these actions. I might be over assuming, but hate giving them potential leverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Really???

I just spent a lot of time out there. Their firearms community works diligently against their legislature on their repressive gun laws and they have to do it year round.

I actually meant to ask if there is a different mentality out there. What I do see is a very aggressive legislature that seems to be constantly putting all sorts of anti-2A related bills on Gov Brown's desk.

Kinda like here in that the will of the people be damned.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I actually meant to ask if there is a different mentality out there. What I do see is a very aggressive legislature that seems to be constantly putting all sorts of anti-2A related bills on Gov Brown's desk.

California is actually eerily similar to Maryland. Two main population hubs, San Francisco and Los Angeles, have enough votes in the legislature to essentially rule the entire state. Outside of these two population centers, the state is very concentrated in agribusiness, far mini and ranching, and fishing. The people outside these centers are not much different than the Eastern Shore or even western Maryland. Plus, these people are direct descendants of true frontiersmen with that freedom loving spirit that took their great grandfathers out there in 1849 to begin with.

There are true 2A defenders out there, they have simply been muzzled by politics no different than our own issues here.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA

This is a "blue" state. Next session, they'll probably try to tighten the proverbial screws more because "only" 100,000+ regulated firearms were purchased out of a population of +5 million and many of those purchases were conducted by people buying more than one firearm. Assuming an average of three regulated firearms per person this year, that works out to "only" ~33,000 purchasers = very small minority = tighten the proverbial screws some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom