• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I recently purchased a small 380 , which came with a padlock from the manufacturer. The dealer presented me with an Omega internal chamber lock ( I'm sure included in the price) and said the pad lock, that locks the gun open is not approved. Is this true? If so, what is the states concern over a padlock not being adequate. I can't think of a reason. Is there a way one can fire a pistol padlocked open? To be honest, I'd rather use the Omega over a padlock, but do not see a need for me personally now. Come to think, it would be pretty slick to carry a locked gun you can drop near your assailant, giving you a clean shot with your active pistol while they are keeping their hands busy trying to kill you with the decoy.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The dealer ....... said the pad lock, that locks the gun open is not approved. Is this true?

Yes
    Generally it's a mistake to assume facts or logic have anything to do with MD gun laws.

I looked through the archives. At some point they passed a law that said newly sold handguns built before 2003 could have external locks, 2003 and later needed "integral" locks approved by the Handgun Board. The Attorney General opined that it was indeed up to the Board to determine what was acceptable.

I was not active in MDS at the time, nor did I see in the archives if it was contested in court at the time. MDS is trying to recreate a spreadsheet of bore locks that members will loan to one another.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=71938&page=24

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As previously stated, the bore lock is only required to walk out of the gunshop with said handgun. This was only to increase the price of the gun, and disuade the public from purchasing.

If you have minors in the house: Yes, the handgun(s) need to be secured by anylock. The exception to this law is if the minors have sucessfully passed Hunter Education.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I think most people only use the bore locks to legally leave the gun store.

As previously stated, the bore lock is only required to walk out of the gunshop with said handgun. This was only to increase the price of the gun, and disuade the public from purchasing.

If you have minors in the house: Yes, the handgun(s) need to be secured by anylock. The exception to this law is if the minors have sucessfully passed Hunter Education.

Both above correct. I do not recommend you use the Maryland required lock, it's junk, and I've heard some say could actually damage your firearm.

If you have kids at home I recommend a safe, or at least locking it up very securely. Maybe even disassemble, and store ammo seperately also locked up. If you need quick access to this firearm for protection, consider a Master speed lock behind the trigger AND a Fort Knoxx lock box, cabled to something immovable.

master-lock-speed-dial.png

FORT-KNOX-PISTOL-SAFES-008.jpg

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC the wording of the law says the gun must be sold WITH the lock. No specific mention of it needing to actually be in the gun.

It's MD. Nothing more needs to be said.

:sad20:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    IIRC the wording of the law says the gun must be sold WITH the lock. No specific mention of it needing to actually be in the gun.

Yes, the wording says "Integral lock", if the gun does not possess an internal lock.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The "built-in lock" law was an attempt to severely restrict handgun sales, because very few guns could meet the standard. Only a half-dozen models of handguns could be sold under the original law.

The "Omega Lock" provision was our way to deflect the attack. We got them to accept the Omega Lock as a substitute for a true "integral lock".

Some dealers allow you to provide your own, some insist on selling you one. When buying a handgun, you might be able to borrow an Omega Lock from someone else on MDS.

You don't need to actually use the lock: just have it in your possession when the gun leaves the store. I have one unopened in it's original package since 2009. The pistol it fits is always loaded, but always either locked in my safe or carried on my person. No need for the Omega lock.

I maintain three guns loaded at all times, and all are kept secured. You need to decide for yourself what type of security your gun requires, based on your own circumstances.

My understanding is that you may not legally knowingly allow a juvenile under the age of 16 to have access to a firearm, unless the juvenile has completed a Hunter Safety training course.

The law does not require it, but I believe we all have a responsibility to secure our guns from what one instructor calls "less competent people" (idiots, druggies, nutjobs, suicide risks, people with dementia, chuckleheads, and the untrained, as well as untrained juveniles, felons, burglars, gun grabbers, and space aliens).

You just need to decide for yourself how to secure the gun. Perhaps the padlock or the Omega will work for you. Or maybe a Gunvault, Knox Pistol Box, tackle-box-with padlock, or leave it in the bed table drawer.

Even if you live alone, though, you never know. You do want to secure it from burglars. Also years ago, when I lived alone, I kept a loaded Model 19 on the shelf under my bed table. One day my sister in law (who had a key) stopped by when I was at work, and left my little niece and nephew to run around the house unsupervised while she was in the front yard. Fortunately the kids messed with my reloading gear, and left the .357 alone.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here's the list of approved locks from MSP

Attachments

• Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices (1).pdf
      20.7 KB · Views: 156

El Patron Grande

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    El Patron Grande says:

I use the approved locks to pick up my purchases. I've never taken it out of the wrapper since the law only requires that I have one in my possession at the time of taking delivery of my firearm, not that I actually use it.

The locks provided by the manufacturer stay in the box unused (except Ruger's 'cause they're great to lock up tool boxes, tool sheds, etc., etc.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So what gun lock are folks using for AR 15 pistols?

You need to base that on your own careful assessment of your situation and needs.

Is this gun being stored unloaded between range sessions, or is it kept loaded and ready to go for home defense?

The first situation calls for securing the gun from burglars and "Less competent people" (see my previous post). Ideally you'd keep the unloaded gun locked in a safe, but a steel cabinet or padlocked storage chest certainly meets minimal standards. At least you could put a cable lock through the mag well/ejection port, and chain it to your bed frame with a bicycle cable. Then cover it with dirty underwear.

In the second case, where you might need quick access, you might do similar things, perhaps substituting some of those quick access padlocks, the speed locks mentioned by Minuteman. Those things are pretty cool.

Personally, I keep a couple loaded S&W M&Ps in Gunvaults, one upstairs and one downstairs.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    So what gun lock are folks using for AR 15 pistols?

Because of kids in the house, I have these in my AR15 pistols when stored at home. They won't deter a thief, but should keep little hands from getting into trouble.

Gun Vault AR Mag Vault, $11

I'm assembled my AR15 pistols from stripped lowers. If you bought a new, complete AR pistol at an LGS, I think Omega makes a .223 version of their lock (designed for a rifle) that could be used. Not 100% sure, tho.

chucks

Sep 30, 2010
    When I had kids in the house I installed hasps and locks on my 50 cal. metal military ammo cans and kept my ammo in those locked in a cabinet. I kept my guns locked in the safe. We had so much adult and kid traffic in and out of the house 24/7 that I doubted we would ever have a situation with people trying to break into the house.

chslax10

Feb 27, 2013
    Threeband thanks for the reponse. I'm assuming I need a lock just to get it from the dealer like any other pistol. I am all set for storing it at home.

chslax10

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks BrewDoc. I'll check out the omega locks. Now that you mention the name I think that's what I had to get for my 9mm.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona

I had at a gun shop employee insist that Maryland law states that the bore lock must be installed in the handgun before I left the store, as he proceeded to dry-fvck the crap out of my new handgun with that POS lock a dozen times and could never get it to lock. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom