Legal Firearms to Possess While Visiting MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Domer Dad

Mar 5, 2014
    North America
    I have read a lot here on MD gun laws and Googled more information and I got to admit that it makes me glad to live in PA. However, we are almost certain to elect an anti gun governor in the next election so we may soon be in the same boat.

I have relatives/friends in MD and visit each frequently and wonder about my ability to possess firearms while visiting. I just say possess, not carry outside their home(s). I also think I understand all the transport requirements.

Anyway, I have a few firearm options that I think would be legal to possess while visiting:

- Windham HBC AR15 (223) with 30 round mags – legal?
    - Ruger 10/22, with 10 and 25 round mags – legal?
    - Ruger Mini-14 with 5, 20, 30 round mags – legal?
    - S&W 40 pistols with up to 15 round mags – legal?

Did I miss something that will get me in trouble? It’s not entirely clear to me if it matters if we stay at a private home/apartment vs a hotel?

Jun 20, 2014
    This is a good Question as my nephew asked me if he could bring his new AK to MD from Pa to shoot on my Dads property. Do not want to give bad advice to him. :o If any one knows please respond.

Thanks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OP - the only thing you list that MAY be an issue is the AR15. When did you buy it?

If you bought it before Oct 1, 2013, it is legal. If you bought it on or after Oct 1, 2013, you CAN NOT bring it into the state.

Banned firearms, purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013 are NOT legal in MD. No matter what state you reside in.

Mas are fine. Even MD residents can got to PA and buy them and bring them back. :)

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    OP - the only thing you list that MAY be an issue is the AR15. When did you buy it?

If you bought it before Oct 1, 2013, it is legal. If you bought it on or after Oct 1, 2013, you CAN NOT bring it into the state.

Banned firearms, purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013 are NOT legal in MD. No matter what state you reside in.

Mas are fine. Even MD residents can got to PA and buy them and bring them back. :)

I would agree, except I think he's probably OK with that AR. HBC is for heavy barrel carbine.

Feb 28, 2013
    If your AR is a heavy barrel, then no need to worry about it.

If you're not sure if it is, just remove the handguard. If the barrel isn't necked down where the handguard would be, it's a heavy barrel.

Domer Dad

Mar 5, 2014
    North America
    Thanks, guys. I was confident I'd get good responses here. You guys are on top of this stuff. Too bad they've made it so complicated.

The AR is a heavy barrel. I bought it recently but went with the HBC as I was pretty sure that would make it ok to bring into Maryland if I needed/wanted.

Feb 28, 2013
    Just remember that you must leave the heavy barrel on it if you want to continue to bring it here.

If you swap the upper out for one with an M4 profile barrel it would then be a deadly "assault weapon" in the eyes of the Peoples' Repubik of MD.:rolleyes:

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    If the Mini 14 has both a folding stock and a flash hider, you're a mass murderer unless you bought it before Oct 2013.

Feb 28, 2013
    If the Mini 14 has both a folding stock and a flash hider, you're a mass murderer unless you bought it before Oct 2013.

Good point. Now that you mention it, it's worse than that. The mini-14's with folding stocks were regulated, now banned, due to the cosmetic resemblance they bear to the AC-556.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 339

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Good point. Now that you mention it, it's worse than that. The mini-14's with folding stocks were regulated, now banned, due to the cosmetic resemblance they bear to the AC-556.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but that Mini-14 is beautiful :thumbsup:

Feb 28, 2013
    Sadly, that's the only reason the Mini's with folding stocks were ever regulated to begin with. We're all about symbolism over substance here in the Peoples' Repubic.:sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sadly, that's the only reason the Mini's with folding stocks were ever regulated to begin with. We're all about symbolism over substance here in the Peoples' Repubic.:sad20:

Remember, the MD list is based on the 1994 Federal list.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile at the OP's handgun(s) . Even if transported by FOPA methods ( unloaded , cased, trunk, etc ) it/ they can only be transported to your temporary residence , to range or other place specifically for lawful use. No driving about your normal business with unloaded cased handgun in trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom