• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Article is HERE. Apparently happened near the Ft. McHenry Tunnel. First, does anyone have a contact at the Port Authority Police that can verify this account before the police bashing begins? Second, and most importantly, make sure the wife, kids, etc. know when to keep their mouths SHUT, whether in the car or at home.....

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Something's not right. Maybe the order of events got out of whack.

Is order of the events exactly as reported, with the officer cuffing the husband and then asking the wife for the location of a CCW firearm?

Or, the officer asks husband about possession of CCW firearm and he says no possession today, then wife says she thinks it's in the glovebox and officer cuffs husband for search, well, that means something else

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    .... but Kally’s failure to corroborate John’s account, the officer would tell them later, was the probable cause that allowed him to summon backup...

What do they say was the probable cause for the original stop???

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    Probably had his permit next to his license and the officer saw it while he dug out his wallet.

reminds me of something I heard on a podcast recently.

Might be tin foil but it was just a guess of where the police states are going..

When you re stopped, things that you may have browsed for online or other collected data that will somehow be tied to you as a person will effect how the officer approaches your car. Say they stop you, and they see you browse a lot of firearms you may end up being treated like that guy.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Something smells.

MSP, as I've been told, doesn't even get a flag on their screen for people who have carry permits. How does Trans get out of state ownership info?

And, why were they [supposedly] being dogged?

Florida tags headed to Woodridge, N.J. ... probably met some 'other' profile criteria and when asked, gave information on where they were going. Sure his wife 'volunteered' too much information about his gun ownership, but that's typically what people do when they don't think further than the rights they're surrendering when they do.

Sue the bastards and make the state pay ... It's the ONLY way to get them to change, if that.

NAUIdvr1

Jan 4, 2013
    Harford County
    Mr H.
    I can verify that when stopped - somehow they do know if you have a CCW (for Maryland at least). Here's my story:

I received my MD CCW in June 2013. I got pulled over for speeding (13 over) in Harford County, in September by a MSP trooper. He exited his vehicle and drew his gun and ordered me out of my truck, ordered me to place my hands on the hood and demanded to know where my gun was and if I had it with me that day. My reply was that I did not have it with me. He then open the door of my truck simultaneously asking me if I had it in my truck and did a quick search of the drivers compartment. I responded that it was not in my truck either and that I was not consenting to a search and that he was violating my 4th amendment right. I repeated that the sidearm was not with me or in my vehicle. He then calmed down, holstered his sidearm, asked me for my driver's license and wrote me a warning for the speed.

I will add that once he hit his lights for me to pull over, I continued another 100 feet to pull in to a parking lot so it was safer for him, because we were on a two lane road with no shoulder, and I told him that once, he calmed down. But I did not continue far enough to make him think I was attempting to evade.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Apologies from two captains for the officer's actions tell me the victim - yes, VICTIM - has grounds for a fat lawsuit. I hope I am on the jury....he will never have to work another day in his life.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I've always been very concerned about what happens if I am stopped by a LEO. I think I know what my rights are, but also feel co operation would go a long way. The real fear is getting someone who is power hungry, wants to make a point, etc.

My father was a LEO and I know how tough his job was, makes me very sad to think I should be fearful of police who are drunk with supposed power. I would think telling the LEO if you are ccw would be a good thing, nothing to hide and all, but are you legally obligated in md?

I have a good friend whom is MSP and have asked him about the info he can access, I thought he told me he can't see if anyone has a permit but may have to ask again. I would think the police could access in state ownership information, in case of entering a home for whatever reason, but out of state ownership..?

Should this guy have not gotten out of the car?

Stuff like this worries me

TD

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Mr H.
    I can verify that when stopped - somehow they do know if you have a CCW (for Maryland at least). Here's my story:

I received my MD CCW in June 2013. I got pulled over for speeding (13 over) in Harford County, in September by a MSP trooper. He exited his vehicle and drew his gun and ordered me out of my truck, ordered me to place my hands on the hood and demanded to know where my gun was and if I had it with me that day. My reply was that I did not have it with me. He then open the door of my truck simultaneously asking me if I had it in my truck. I responded that it was not in my truck either and that I was not consenting to a search and that he was violating my 4th amendment right. I repeated that the sidearm was not with me or in my vehicle. He then calmed down, holstered his sidearm and wrote me a warning.

Why would they feel it was necessary to treat a person with a CCW as if they are a criminal? The person went through the legal approval process to obtain that ability. It's a thorough vetting process, right?

On a different note, tying all of the info systems together is really not a quantum leap these days, would have to be shocked if they can't put their fingers on a complete profile in a matter of minutes on any person.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Mr H.

I received my MD CCW in June 2013. I got pulled over for speeding (13 over) in Harford County, in September by a MSP trooper. He exited his vehicle and drew his gun and ordered me out of my truck, ordered me to place my hands on the hood and demanded to know where my gun was and if I had it with me that day. My reply was that I did not have it with me. He then open the door of my truck simultaneously asking me if I had it in my truck and did a quick search of the drivers compartment. I responded that it was not in my truck either and that I was not consenting to a search and that he was violating my 4th amendment right. I repeated that the sidearm was not with me or in my vehicle. He then calmed down, holstered his sidearm, asked me for my driver's license and wrote me a warning for the speed.

I will add that once he hit his light for me to pull over I continued another 100 feet to pull in to a parking lot so it was safer foe him, because we were on a two lane road with virtually no shoulder, and I told him that once he calmed down. But I did not continue far enough to make him think I was attempting to evade.

Not disputing you, but when a Trooper says directly that they don't see that info, I have to take them at their word.

It makes me wonder what else might have made him think you were carrying.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Mr H.

That's ridiculous. He had no reason to draw his sidearm on you and order you out. I might have filed a complaint on him.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    God forbid if this guy had a "secret compartment" in his Explorer - he would have been given a roadside cavity search.

NAUIdvr1

Jan 4, 2013
    Harford County
    Not disputing you, but when a Trooper says directly that they don't see that info, I have to take them at their word.

It makes me wonder what else might have made him think you were carrying.

I sure don't know what else would have made him think I was carrying. At that point (if they really don't have a flag that pops up on the car computer) all he could tell about me was that I was a white male, in my 40's, with a military style haircut, in a company 4x4 truck, going too fast on Rt 22 headed towards Churchville.

NAUIdvr1

Jan 4, 2013
    Harford County
    God forbid if this guy had a "secret compartment" in his Explorer - he would have been given a roadside cavity search.

Thanks goodness I don't - unless they consider that compartment under the Dodge truck center fold up console, a "hidden" compartment - put there from the factory.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Article is HERE. Apparently happened near the Ft. McHenry Tunnel. First, does anyone have a contact at the Port Authority Police that can verify this account before the police bashing begins? Second, and most importantly, make sure the wife, kids, etc. know when to keep their mouths SHUT, whether in the car or at home.....

This article is obviously BS. Quite trying to get MDS's LEOs and Badge Bunnies all riled up.

NAUIdvr1

Jan 4, 2013
    Harford County
    That's ridiculous. He had no reason to draw his sidearm on you and order you out. I might have filed a complaint on him.

To be honest I was glad he didn't write me a ticket - as I have gotten my fair share over the years. I had thought about filing a complaint, but brushed it off because of the warning he gave me. I probably should have though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom