• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I picked up 2 of those. Pretty good shape and the turnaround was quick (can't remember how long but I don't think it was more han 3 weeks).

whats the noise level like? I need something super quiet like my daisy 747 so I can shoot it in a suburban backyard

Bravo

Bravo
    Feb 18, 2013
    Howard County
    Only springers are difficult to shoot ... that's the beauty of the Nitro Piston guns ... they aren't springers

880 isn't anything to speak of for accuracy beyond 10 yards either. The one I returned to Daisy couldn't even hit paper from 10, its replacement is fine at 10, but at that close distance I feel like I am right on top of the targets.

Even though its quite difficult and about at the ballistic limit of .177 wadcutters, I regularly shoot them in a springer at 44 yards. It teaches discipline and patience in addition to muscle memory & practice using sights.

Wow 44 yards in .177 is impressive , you ain't shooting offhand are you? I guess the I expensive tag means different things to different folks. I was thinking under 100 pesos. Most sprinters don't start out smooth in my opinion, but break in with hundreds of shots. A decent one will run you 2 bills and up.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have a Gamo Silent Cat 1250fps and use the heavier PowerPoint lead hunting pellets which brings the speed down to about 1000fps, and she's very quiet. The heavier pellets are quieter, group well and carry their energy further. No rabbit, crow or squirrel is safe in my 30yd backyard but for my children's softhearted mercy!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Wow 44 yards in .177 is impressive , you ain't shooting offhand are you? I guess the I expensive tag means different things to different folks. I was thinking under 100 pesos. Most sprinters don't start out smooth in my opinion, but break in with hundreds of shots. A decent one will run you 2 bills and up.

No I sit on my back step with my elbow on my knee ... its not standing off hand, and its not bench either.

When I want to get more shots on the bull, I sit on a cement block at 30. Fliers don't look so bad from 30. At 44, a .177 wadcutter flier is a flier.

I paid $50 for the gun on GB, $38 for the CharlieDaTuna trigger and a $10 cast off trade in scope from a gun shop. I shoot it for muscle memory for holding the gun, eye practice looking thru a scope, trigger finger practice and breathing

It took me almost a month to get the artillery hold down and put the pellets where they belong. In addition to the open front hand, I don't wrap around the wrist either, I keep my right thumb down by my index finger. My daughter fought it for almost a year before she finally relaxed her front grip and started hitting the paper. She's pretty good with rimfire guns, and its just that different.

The sound reminds me of a stapler, so that's what I call it - the stapler

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I have a Daisy 880 i got for $30 from Midway, but lots of places have it cheap. Shoots fast enough to hunt small game at short distances and shoots pellets and bb's. Nice, cheap gun for some practice.

Bravo

Bravo
    Feb 18, 2013
    Howard County
    No I sit on my back step with my elbow on my knee ... its not standing off hand, and its not bench either.

When I want to get more shots on the bull, I sit on a cement block at 30. Fliers don't look so bad from 30. At 44, a .177 wadcutter flier is a flier.

I paid $50 for the gun on GB, $38 for the CharlieDaTuna trigger and a $10 cast off trade in scope from a gun shop. I shoot it for muscle memory for holding the gun, eye practice looking thru a scope, trigger finger practice and breathing

It took me almost a month to get the artillery hold down and put the pellets where they belong. In addition to the open front hand, I don't wrap around the wrist either, I keep my right thumb down by my index finger. My daughter fought it for almost a year before she finally relaxed her front grip and started hitting the paper. She's pretty good with rimfire guns, and its just that different.

The sound reminds me of a stapler, so that's what I call it - the stapler

How do you fancy the Charlie Trigger? Wow you got a great deal on your air rifle. The artillery hold is tough to learn, thanks for your tips. It's hard not to squeeze with the back hand. What do you use for a scope stop?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How do you fancy the Charlie Trigger? Wow you got a great deal on your air rifle. The artillery hold is tough to learn, thanks for your tips. It's hard not to squeeze with the back hand. What do you use for a scope stop?

The gun was in its original box with papers, I think the original purchaser gave up on the gun instead of learning how to shoot it.

I think the CDT trigger is worth every penny, esp if you can install it yourself.

I haven't had any trouble with the scope moving (or falling apart). I have it mounted with a set of medium height double screw mounts. I think the double screws and low mount keep the scope secure and reduce the rocking moment. Another thing that might be keeping it from moving is that its mounted all the way at the back of the rail. I keep waiting for this 4x32 Bushnell Sharpshooter to fall apart from the spring pounding, but I guess its really internally stout.

Its exactly like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-Ri...-Mounts-4-X-32-Waterproof-T0004-/161151314750

Bravo

Bravo
    Feb 18, 2013
    Howard County
    Does your rail have something to keep the scope from sliding backwards ? My breakbarrel does not a a hole for a pin, and the dovetails have nothing to stop the scope from sliding backwards. have had no success in keeping t he mounts from moving backwards , (even when I crank down on the screws, )without a heavy one piece scope mount that raises the scope too high on the gun.

I prefer open sights but my vision is slipping. Only shoot offhand ,but am not in your accuracy league. The bullseye is safe for now....I thought to try thr trigger job because a heavier trigger seems to lead to shots getting pulled to the right.

There are some days when I can't seem to hit much with the springers , will try some of your tips.....

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    Won't take nearly that long for a CMP Model 853. Get the surplus guns that were used at Camp Perry and then refurbished to like-new performance (NOT appearance).

For $115 each these cannot be beat. Our Club uses these for our youth group.

Bought a brand new one through them for my son. Takes about 1 month total. You submit your order to the CMP and they send you a manufacturer purchase eligibility certificate. You then submit that certificate directly to daisy and about a week later there it is sitting in your hand. Slings, sight and rifle. Best deal out there. Cost a good bit more on the open market.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I would get one of these daisy pump rifles
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/airrifles.htm
    I have a daisy 747 pump pistol and its almost perfect

I got two of those during the height of the CMP rush and got them in a few days. They come from the North Store, as opposed to the surplus Garands coming from the South Store, so there are few delays in shipping.

However, these air rifles are to be used to promote the shooting sports in youth, not as restrictive as typical CMP sales, but an important factor to consider.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I have two Benjamin Marauders. I am selling the .22 for around $300. It shoots well. The .25 I have even shoots better. They are quiet and very lethal. They are a great platform.

Vic

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I have two Benjamin Marauders. I am selling the .22 for around $300. It shoots well. The .25 I have even shoots better. They are quiet and very lethal. They are a great platform.

Vic

Any accuracy issues with the 22? If not I'd be interested. I already have a .25 Synthetic Marauder, a .22 Discovery, and an Air Force Condor SS that should be showing up any day so it would be treated to a good home.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I was having a lot of accuracy issues, that is why I bought the .25. I moved the scope over to the .25 and had a lot of accuracy issues too. Found out the scope must have a floating reticle. I put a new Nikon on the .25 and now I can shoot single holes at 25 yards, and probably half inch at 50. Great gun. I haven't put a scope back on the .22, but think much of the problem was the scope. I do believe my .22 has Point of aim shifts, but I bought a sleeve for the barrel band and think that would eliminate that problem. The guy I bought the gun from was shooting one hole groups with the gun at 10 meters. I think as .22s go it is a shooter, just not as good as the .25. Wish they would put Green Mountain barrels in the .22.

Only way to determine accuracy issues would be to shoot it again with a good scope.

Vic

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    I was having a lot of accuracy issues, that is why I bought the .25. I moved the scope over to the .25 and had a lot of accuracy issues too. Found out the scope must have a floating reticle. I put a new Nikon on the .25 and now I can shoot single holes at 25 yards, and probably half inch at 50. Great gun. I haven't put a scope back on the .22, but think much of the problem was the scope. I do believe my .22 has Point of aim shifts, but I bought a sleeve for the barrel band and think that would eliminate that problem. The guy I bought the gun from was shooting one hole groups with the gun at 10 meters. I think as .22s go it is a shooter, just not as good as the .25. Wish they would put Green Mountain barrels in the .22.

Only way to determine accuracy issues would be to shoot it again with a good scope.

Vic

Yea the .22 had a few issues. Depending on your price I might take it off your hands for my close range gun. We have some crazy Chipmunk infestation on our acre of land and this past year they destroyed the walk way with their tunnels. I killed 217 of them with my pump gun lol.... Needless to say it's officially worn out. I think the .25 Marauder and Condor I have now will be a LITTLE overkill. Let me know what you need out of it. You can text for quicker response 301-501-7779

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Benjamin Titan NP (Nitro Piston) is an awesome break-barrel air rifle in .177, .22 or .25 that is under $150 on Amazon, shipped to your door in under a week.

Not the greatest trigger but it can be worked or you can get used to it. Very accurate to 75yd and beyond. Very effective on small game. Considerably quiet compared to other air rifles. Excellent training aid for marksmanship skills.

Comes with a crap scope, recommend upgrading to the Centerpoint 4-16x40 (about $70) or a Hawke with parallax adjustment.

Rifle:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-BW8M2...qid=1402326578&sr=1-1&keywords=benjamin+titan

Scope:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-CPA41...8&qid=1402326761&sr=8-1&keywords=crosman+4-16

Last edited:

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I purchased the Gamo Whisper Fusion Air Rifle a few weeks ago. It has a built in sound "suppressor" that actually works. It has a great trigger and an adjustable stock. It also uses an air piston which lasts longer and eliminates spring noise. $185 on Amazon complete with scope.

http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=456

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom