• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Are they worth the $$$ over a Springer ??

Best buy for the novice ?

Thanx,
    Jim

YEMX

Jun 23, 2012
    Yes they are. Best advice? Do your research. What do you want to do... hunt? Target shoot? Plink? Teaching a young one? Figure that out and people can better guide you. PCP is awesome.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Lots of expense to get set up with PCP. Don't think I would suggest it to a novice. May turn out you don't like air much at all and if that is the case you have a lot of money tied up in it.

You can get a good nitro piston rifle for $150 or so and an inexpensive Beeman plinker pistol for $40 or so. If you wear those out then move up to the higher end stuff.

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    PCP, if you don't mind the outlay of cash, far surpasses springers or Co2. A good starter PCP is the Crossman Discovery .22. You only have to pump to 2000psi as opposed to 3000psi on the Benjamin Marauder. Even better is the fact that the Disco shoots best between 1000psi and 1750psi. Just keep an eye on your air gauge and don't let it go much under 1000. The Disco is also easily modified for more air capacity with a double-tube giving double the shot count, an LDC for backyard friendly fun that makes it mouse-fart quiet. It will take coon and 'possum with head shots and squirrel and rabbit with lung/heart shots. Great little air rifle for the money.

YEMX

Jun 23, 2012
    true, the initial outlay for PCP is a little pricey, but think about going through a couple of springers (starting cheap and working your way up) and THEN moving to PCP... now the initial outlay isn't looking too bad. Besides, one pump or tank will fill multiple guns... I would get on Pyramyd air's website and take a look at the Air Arms S200 in .22 or .177. Lots of ammo choices, not a huge investment as far as a rifle, and it's a quality little gun! You can also upgrade later if you so choose. If I had to do it all over again, I'd start with this one.

Mar 8, 2011
    If you're serious about shooting, then PCP is worth it. I started with springers because they were cheap. Then I bought a refillable CO2 with the tank and valve setup. Finally, I got my first PCP with the hand pump. Eventually, I'll probably get the scuba tank setup. I found that once I got the CO2, I basically stopped shooting the springers. Now that I have the PCP, I hardly ever shoot anything else. In hindsight, I would have saved money if I had just gone straight to PCP. For the most part, springers are toys (I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that). Not all, my russian target pistol is a fantastic piece of engineering. Almost all PCP are precision firearms.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If you're serious about shooting, then PCP is worth it.
    This part I agree with. But PCP vs springer is like comparing semi-auto to revolver or bolt action or black powder. Not directly comparable. Serious shooters will have many varieties to suit their fancy (springers, SSP, MSP, CO2, PCP). There is no "one" right answer. OP never came back and posted what he wanted to do.

I started with springers because they were cheap. ... For the most part, springers are toys (I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that).

At least you knew it was coming;) So, you bought cheap toy springers and then say they are mostly toys? Hmm, wonder what gives you that impression:) I could say PCPs are cheap toys, because a Crosman discovery is less than HALF the starting price of a R1. A marauder is cheaper than a TX200, etc, etc. Walmart chinese specials shouldn't enter into an apples to apples comparison.

Now, there ARE decent chinese guns now but I'd still stay away from many of their springers. The QB78/79 can be a good value even though I prefer to own the orginals (Crosmans) they copied.

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    There are many good brands out there to choose from; Evanix, Daystate, Crossman, Air-Force, to name a few. I have an Air-Force .25 caliber Talon-P that generates 55FPE with a heavy Eun Jin pellet 43.2 gr. capable of taking coyote size game or pests. Technically it is marketed as a pistol but makes a better carbine, particularly when you add a Condor air tank, a Wok-Butt stock and a quiet LDC. I don't consider air rifles toys whether springers or PCP but rather consider the lower end as introductory level to the sport of powderless weapons. They are great for ridding your property of pests or filling your pot of stew with game, are a cheap alternative to PB and can keep you sharp in your shooting skills when the cost of ammo can be prohibitive...a 2 cent pellet will always be cheaper than a .22 round. They are tools just as our firearms are.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    If you are thinking springer - get a Nitro Piston. The traditional springers are hard to shoot well - look up "artillery hold" and you'll get the picture.

I think if you are just getting interested in air and want to do some plinking, target shooting or maybe teach a youngster - Nitro Piston is going to be a lot cheaper.

If you really want to hunt with it - maybe step up to PCP immediately - but that is a lot more $$$. Make sure you understand how heavy some of these PCP guns are if you are thinking about hunting with them. Are you sure you want to lug all that through the woods? For me the answer was no.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    traditional springers are hard to shoot well - look up "artillery hold" and you'll get the picture.
    They are the same. The moving piston mass is nearly identical in both springers and NP models. Both move forward and rely on the piston mass to achieve dwell time while the pellet is still in the barrel (Cardew is probably one of the best books on the subject.) *ALL* the nitro model does is replace the steel spring with an air spring. It does not change the rest of the physics. All piston guns jump forward no matter what is powering the piston. Even Crosman says an artillery hold is used on NP models.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Q7bMFktEA

PCP once you shoot one you'll realize all others are just toys.
    :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom