• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is, main battle rifles were not designed for optics. So any mounting, that does not involved some serious work, will not be that stable.

Same thing with A1/A2 pattern ARs.

They were designed for iron sights and work pretty well with them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The biggest reason to own an M14/M1A is to complete your collection of 20th Century US military rifles. :)

Anybody know of a good Krag for a reasonable amount of money???? :)

maddogthegreatest

Nov 19, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Owning an M14/M1A is like having 73 Camaro or 67 Mustang.

There are many newer model sports cars runs a lot faster and handle far better than those old horses but once you drove one of those you will fall in love with those. ;)
    I fired M14 once when I was in service back in 80s and I fell in love instantly...:party29:

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I had no problem with my issued M14 holding the zero but it was built by Marine Corps armorers. Hell I even had to remove my scope to put a SimRad night vision device on her. Removed the Leupold, mounted the SimRad and went out to re-zero the rifle and put 20 rounds on target with no adjustment at all. Damn I'd like to track down that rifle and buy it if it's been released from service!

005.jpg

Last edited:
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

There are many newer model sports cars runs a lot faster and handle far better than those old horses but once you drove one of those you will fall in love with those. ;)
    I fired M14 once when I was in service back in 80s and I fell in love instantly...:party29:

Excellent analogy. Fun to play with but I'd take an M4 into battle before an M14

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I had my dad make me a leather scabbard like a cowboy had on a horse and that's where she stayed in the back of the Hummer I rode in, one of the clamshell hummers withe the "hatchback" removed, I rode tail end charlie and kept her close when dismounted.

I definitely wouldn't carry one into battle, I'd keep one in the vehicle though...

Last edited:

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I was in the Corps post-Viet Nam when most Gunnys and above were 'Nam vets (even had a Staff Sgt who was in 'Nam).
    They all loved the M14 and had serious trust issues with the M16.
    I know those anecdotes prove nothing, but the accounts of those who used them in combat have some weight.

That said, if anyone here gets the chance to shoot a BM59 (or 62) please do. It is what the M14 SHOULD have been.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013

Well put.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Agreed.

My first wife accused me of loving my Remington 1100 Magnum more than her.
    I still have the 1100.

My second (and last!) wife said that I look at my M1A like a kid looks at his first girlfriend.

I tell her that this beautiful M1A is like a girlfriend, only less costly. :D

No, I won't show anyone the bruises!!! Ha!

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    I was issued M14s during Basic Combat and CombatEngineer training in 1966. The rifles used for training were the worst junk available--the H&R I used at Ft Leonard Wood was totally devoid of any parkerizing, the wood looked like it was dug up from a swamp and it literally rattled like a set of castenets. That said, it went through mud,sand, tornados, hailstorms, 105 degree heat
    with never a jam or FTF--the only maintenance being a quick swab of the bore with oil and brushing with a shaving brush. I fired literally thousands of rounds on the ranges with acceptable results. Despite condition, there was no problem in hitting man-size pop ups at the 300 meter range. The only negative incident I can nremember is a broken sear that launched the gun into full-auto and emptied a 20 rd mag. I shot low expert with that gun on the qualification range and have no complaints.

My next experience withthe M14 was in the reserves durin g the 68/69 riots and "peace" demonstratons. With the heavy composite "purple" stock and
    heavy cleaning kit and oiler stored in butt, it was one hell of an effective club for crowd and riot control. Way more intimidating than an M16.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I still want to build or buy an AR308 but have wanted something in .308 for a while and the urge for instant gratification got the best of me. Picked up this C308 from Duffy's today. For the price I just couldn't resist. I was surprised at how light this rifle is. Will be interesting to see how the recoil feels.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
      IMG_0758.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 263

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I still want to build or buy an AR308 but have wanted something in .308 for a while and the urge for instant gratification got the best of me. Picked up this C308 from Duffy's today. For the price I just couldn't resist. I was surprised at how light this rifle is. Will be interesting to see how the recoil feels.

Duffy's got more of these in already. Good on them. I bought the last of thier first batch.

Personally I think the .308 AR platform is junk. It's really just trying to market on the tinker toy AR platform. Unfortunately, all the good battle rifles are banned and we're left with the AR10.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Since it has the noise enhancement feature instead of the actual flash suppressor, recoil shouldn't be bad. I had a CETME with flash suppressor and bayonet lug, recoil wasn't bad but was way more than any of my ARs.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    On the subject of accuracy, my M1A is a little more accurate than my CMP service grade M1 Garand. This comparison is made based on using standard ball loads (M2 Ball vs M80). That being said, my 16" barreled AR upper kicked the snot out of both while using 55gr XM193 clones. The AR platform is simply more mechanically accurate. It has more locking lugs, consistent metal-to-metal surface mating, and all the benefits of modern manufacturing. The lack of a compressed, moisture-sensitive wood stock is also a great bonus in the accuracy department.

OT but can someone explain what the XM193 designation means?

Abellmio

May 17, 2011
    OT but can someone explain what the XM193 designation means?

XM193 was the original 55 grain bullet that was issued with the M16 on its original adoption. Referring to a XM193 clone I would assume means just any 55 grain 5.56 bullet constructed the same way (copper jacket, lead core, etc).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Doesn't Delta and the Navy SEALs still use the M14 (M21/M25) as a sniper platform, or are they moving away from it to a different, better and more modern rifle for their lightweight, semi-auto sniper system?

Just texted a friend who is stationed at Fort Bragg and can't tell me exactly which group he is assigned to. It narrows it down quite a bit.

The guys in his unit have more or less carte blanche when it comes to picking out weapons for missions. Some do like the M-14 and take them when the mission calls for it. He doesn't like 5.56, and prefers 7.62. He takes one on missions, when it is appropriate. Not the standard M-14, uses a composite stock and shorter (16" or 14") barrel. FWIW, he carries a Kimber .45 into combat as well.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Just texted a friend who is stationed at Fort Bragg and can't tell me exactly which group he is assigned to. It narrows it down quite a bit.

The guys in his unit have more or less carte blanche when it comes to picking out weapons for missions. Some do like the M-14 and take them when the mission calls for it. He doesn't like 5.56, and prefers 7.62. He takes one on missions, when it is appropriate. Not the standard M-14, uses a composite stock and shorter (16" or 14") barrel. FWIW, he carries a Kimber .45 into combat as well.

Like this? (less the tacti-cool camo stock, a cool MG)

m1-1.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , lot of US Servicemen did ( and still do ) love their M14 , especially USMC. I strongly suspect it is more a matter of liking the concept of a full power .30cal battle rifle than than the M14 design per se.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom