• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I have a Super Match M1A with 3.5-10 power scope. For the most part if I can see it I can hit it. I like the .308 it works. After a couple of thousand rounds down range it just keeps working better and better. The 5.56 is a good round and you can carry more but its not a reach out and touch someone round like. 308. Different guns for different jobs just look at its military use now. Ive seen the end result of what a .308 does to a human at long range and it makes you understand why its still used.

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    I’ve always imagined the birth of the M14 going something like this:

Bureaucrat: You’re going to design a select fire rifle around the new NATO cartridge.

Armorer: Tall order but I think it can be done. The Belgians have-

Bureaucrat: The new rifle will be light enough to replace the M1 carbine but heavy enough to replace the BAR.

Armorer: Um… That’s going to take a lot of time and money to-

Bureaucrat: In order to save time and money you will use the M1 rifle as the starting point using as many M1 parts and production lines as possible.

10 Years later...

Armorer: I think TRW has finally figured-

Bureaucrat: Sec Def Mac says shut 'er down.

Yeah, I know…

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Being based on the M1 Garand is the problem. As much as I like shooting the M1, ehhhhh....no two are the same. AR10 for the win.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Doesn't Delta and the Navy SEALs still use the M14 (M21/M25) as a sniper platform, or are they moving away from it to a different, better and more modern rifle for their lightweight, semi-auto sniper system?
    The M21 was phased out back in 1988, IIRC. The M25 is still in service, as is the Mk14 EBR. I am unaware of any effort to replace the M25 at this time, albeit you've got to wonder if the upcoming compact version of the M110 (SR-25) couldn't do it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The M21 was phased out back in 1988, IIRC. The M25 is still in service, as is the Mk14 EBR. I am unaware of any effort to replace the M25 at this time, albeit you've got to wonder if the upcoming compact version of the M110 (SR-25) couldn't do it.
    Cool stuff.

I've always wondered why the M14 maintained such as status - it had a short term as the main US Service rifle, although it might have something to do with the issues experienced with the early M16s. Comparatively, the M14 was probably the better gun back then....or so I've read, and only casually at that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have no idea, either. The M1A was a huge pain in the ass to maintain, to the point where it had its own special multitool to deal with such delights as the gas plug.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Remember that the usage of M14s as DMRs was mostly driven by the fact that there were a zillion M14s in storage, not because someone ran a competition and decided that an M14 in a fancy dress was the bestest DMR ever.

Uh-huh!!!
    The M14 rifle IS the bestest, when it's in a fancy dress.

They're purdy!!!! Real purdy!!

:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0

:D

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    600 rounds before failure and if it gets really jammed up you have to take the stock off:wtf:. That pretty much says it all.

Id rather get an AK out of chads trashcan than use an M1A

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Just in case anyone decides to put their M14/M1As in the trash my phone number is...

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    This has been a great discussion for someone like me, who wants a SA .308 platform of some kind but has been put off by the cost. I've always liked the looks of the M1A and have thought about an AR10 type rifle too, but after reading this thread, am leaning more to the latter if my finances ever permit.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can build a stupid accurate AR-308 for a lot cheaper than a comparable M1A, and it's a lot more likely to STAY accurate.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    great guns, I love them, but I learned after my first attempt to scope one that after you have eveyrthing dialed in, no matter WHAT, the next time you go the range you are going to have to re-zero the rifle.

To this day I can not figure out why, butI have never had an M1a with optics shoot to the same point of aim after spending even just a few days in the safe.

Anyone can shed light on why this is the case? Chad?

But yeah, I love them for the history, but the garand is a little cooler in that regard. Very fun to shoot as long as you don't have to lug it around. I love em, but I don't think I would trust my life to one.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    This has been a great discussion for someone like me, who wants a SA .308 platform of some kind but has been put off by the cost. I've always liked the looks of the M1A and have thought about an AR10 type rifle too, but after reading this thread, am leaning more to the latter if my finances ever permit.

there are some great AR-10 deals out there right now.

Also, have you considered a FAL pattern or G3 pattern rifle?

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure if they're banned or not.

DSA has some great nitrided barrel FALs out right now that shoot great- but for accuracy the AR-10 is hard to beat.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    M-14 style rifles are great at what they were designed for, which is infantry fighting in Europe against the Soviets. They're not CQB rifles, not sniper rifles, not anything else, they are main battle rifles and they do the job. They were not designed for use in jungles or tropical areas. They were not designed for use with scopes or any other optics. Full auto was added in because someone thought it was a good idea, on paper. Like all of the MBRs designed in that time period, semi-auto fire by infantry troops over fairly long distances with open sights is what it does best.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    there are some great AR-10 deals out there right now.

DSA has some great nitrided barrel FALs out right now that shoot great- but for accuracy the AR-10 is hard to beat.

Those C308 CETME's that Century is producing right now caught my eye because of the price, but I'm thinking when the time comes, I will go with an AR type rifle. As others have pointed out, ARs are hard to beat for ease of mods and upgrades and they're easier to fit an optic to than anything else comparable.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Because of the 'ban' here in Maryland, the AR-308 platform (for the lack of a better term) is the way to go.
    I bought my beloved M1A before the AR-308 really became mainstream.

You can build a stupid accurate AR-308 for a lot cheaper than a comparable M1A, and it's a lot more likely to STAY accurate.

I agree with this, 100%.
    When my good friend had this particular M1A accurized (I bought it 2nd hand from him), he paid a CHUNK of $$$ to get it to the point where it is, today.
    All bovine scatology aside......... he spent over $5,000.00 on this rifle!!!!
    That is a LOT of $$$ in anybody's book.
    (I paid nowhere near that kind of $$$ for this rifle.)

great guns, I love them, but I learned after my first attempt to scope one that after you have eveyrthing dialed in, no matter WHAT, the next time you go the range you are going to have to re-zero the rifle.

To this day I can not figure out why, but I have never had an M1a with optics shoot to the same point of aim after spending even just a few days in the safe.

Anyone can shed light on why this is the case? Chad?

But yeah, I love them for the history, but the garand is a little cooler in that regard. Very fun to shoot as long as you don't have to lug it around. I love em, but I don't think I would trust my life to one.

I'll start by saying that I am NOT an expert on the workings of the M14/M1A platform.
    I just like 'em, and I've read a lot of stuff about 'em.

In my experience, the 'key' to getting an M1A (with glass on it) to stay zero'd, is the mount, rings, and good glass.
    There are some receivers that are NOT in spec, and some/most mounts CAN work loose, or never get 'tight' to begin with.

When I first got my M1A, it had a Springfield Armory 3rd generation scope mount on it.
    After doing a LOT of reading online and talking to riflesmiths that have worked on/shot the M14/M1A platform, this mount was dropped into the bottom of a drawer and left there.
    (When that mount came off, there was a LOT of 'battering' (of the mount) noticed. I'll never use that mount for anything now, except maybe a tire 'chock' for the riding mower.):D

Sadlak Industries scope mount WORK as advertised.
    I put a steel mount on my beloved M1A, along with Leupold MKIV rings.
    Sadlak is the only mount manufacturer (that I know of) that sends/sells a set of gauges, so that you can see IF your receiver is in spec.
    They are also the only manufacturer (again, that I know of) that will machine/alter the mount, to fit YOUR receiver.
    Sidenote: My Springfield M1A is an EARLY production rifle. Serial #: 05xxx.
    This receiver IS in spec.

This rifle stays zero'd. Once sighted in, I've never had to adjust the scope, at all.

The scope on this rifle was a Leupold VX-II. It now wears a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-18x (if memory serves me). It might be 4.5-14x.
    I'll have to look, to be certain.

Now, another note on keeping the rifle zero'd. I do NOT take the rifle out of the stock, if I can help it. Cleaning is a chore, but, the rifle doesn't move up/down/in/out of the stock unless I have to.
    This rifle is TIGHT in the bedding. I do loosen (unlock) the trigger group, before storing in the safe.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Banned and banned. :(

FAL is a wonderful battle rifle, but trying to tune one to be a serious match rifle is problematic due to the way the trigger works. Hard to get a light crisp trigger. That is reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom