• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    While I will also be shooting mostly paper and varmints with the gun, I do want the tactical rail look. It's not exactly easy to figure out which ones are HBARs if the manufacturer isn't advertising it all over the place. However, something like the gun below is what I'm looking for.

That looks like a piston AR, so it may be ok. But if you're looking for a DI, you can't have one with that barrel on it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Have you handled one with the four rail handguard?

The rails are NOT comfortable to hold.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    While I will also be shooting mostly paper and varmints with the gun, I do want the tactical rail look. It's not exactly easy to figure out which ones are HBARs if the manufacturer isn't advertising it all over the place. However, something like the gun below is what I'm looking for.

That looks like a Colt LE6940 and it's NOT an HBAR.

That looks like a piston AR, so it may be ok. But if you're looking for a DI, you can't have one with that barrel on it.

Actually the one pictured is GI. The pColt LE6940P (piston gun) will have the gas piston takedown ring on the front of the front sight base (gas block).

Have you handled one with the four rail handguard?

The rails are NOT comfortable to hold.

Rail covers are standard with the Colt LE6940 and make a big difference in comfort.

earthprime

Nov 7, 2014
    MD
    more than AR6721?

I thought Colt only made the AR6721 as their current HBAR AR-15 rifle. What are the other HBAR model numbers?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I thought Colt only made the AR6721 as their current HBAR AR-15 rifle. What are the other HBAR model numbers?

6920 socom

The socom is not an HBAR: it's heavier than a standard barrel but lighter than an HBAR. If the smallest diameter measurement on the socom is at least .75", then it is an HBAR. To the best of my knowledge, though not absolutely certain, the barrel tapers thinner than .75" under the handguard.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    6920 SOCOM is def NOT an HBAR.

Ok, now I'm confused. Colt's website and description are below:

http://www.colt.com/ShopOnline/tabid/62/ProdID/387/Default.aspx

LE6920 SOCOM Carbine Upper Assembly, chambered in 5.56x45 NATO, complete with bolt carrier assembly and charging handle.

Features:
    16.1" Chrome Lined Heavy Barrel with 1-7" RH Twist, Flat-top Receiver, Quad Rail Handguard, Flip-up Rear Sight, Bayonet Lug and Screw on Flash Hider, includes Pivot Pin Adapter to mount upper on Colt lower receivers with large pivot pins.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm confused now too because the barrel is "necked down" at the '203 cut...or does that not matter as long as the barrel isn't under a specified diameter?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    As the accepted standard (there's no definitive standard) so long as the barrel diameter measures at least .75" at it's thinnest point, it would be good to go. I'm not sure the 203 cut will measure up though.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    As the accepted standard (there's no definitive standard) so long as the barrel diameter measures at least .75" at it's thinnest point, it would be good to go. I'm not sure the 203 cut will measure up though.

SOCOM barrels definitely have m203 cuts which is what I thought disqualifies them.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Should be fine then, as long as the barrel ain't necked down anywhere.

It doesn't matter if if it's necked down (or what any of the measurements are) if the manufacturer describes it as "heavy barreled" in literature. Buyer just needs to keep a copy of that literature, in case it ever becomes an issue.

Feb 28, 2013
    It doesn't matter if if it's necked down (or what any of the measurements are) if the manufacturer describes it as "heavy barreled" in literature. Buyer just needs to keep a copy of that literature, in case it ever becomes an issue.

Perhaps.

But if anything were to become an issue, it's a hell of lot easier to convince the law that a barrel that maintains it's size all the way out is a legal one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom