• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    My favorite non-regulated firearms :

I've seen that RPD and SG-43 posted before but it never gets old.

Not sure about the third (maybe Argentine FN-49?) but that's a beauty too.

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    I am posting this from another thread on which I am on in the MD Shooter Forums. I applied to the State Police in Mid-August to re-evaluate the HK556 ban.

It seems I was successful. The HK556 is no longer banned in MD. The State Police have now changed its desingation to:

Weapon Selected: H & K MR556A1;
    Justification: NOT REGULATED BY STATUTE
    Date of Status: 08/05/2014
    Comments: This firearm was originally determined by the Maryland State Police to be a copy of the Colt AR-15. The determination was based on infomation provided by the manufacturer's website. After confirming additional information provided to the Maryland State Police, it would appear that the following internal components of the H & K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H & K MR556A1 is not a copy.

SCORE ONE for COMMON SENSE!

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Well where ya been batman!? Took you long enough! :D

No seriously, thank you for making the effort. :thumbsup:

Title 1 PWS here I come...

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    When Kalashnikovs and all of their variants are banned because they have "evil" features, but a VZ58/2008, which has the same features and is nearly visibly indistinguishable from an AK, is cash 'n' carry, how can anyone take Maryland firearm laws seriously or be expected to confidently conform to them?

Be glad they are ignorant. If any of us had the same agenda as Mr O'Malley, all semi-autos, AR pistols, SBR's would be banned.

Feb 28, 2013
    When Kalashnikovs and all of their variants are banned because they have "evil" features, but a VZ58/2008, which has the same features and is nearly visibly indistinguishable from an AK, is cash 'n' carry, how can anyone take Maryland firearm laws seriously or be expected to confidently conform to them?

Matters not. All the evil guns were banned, so those the only ones that are and could ever be "assault weapons".

I heard it from Frosh and O'Malley myself.:rolleyes:

I am posting this from another thread on which I am on in the MD Shooter Forums. I applied to the State Police in Mid-August to re-evaluate the HK556 ban.

It seems I was successful. The HK556 is no longer banned in MD. The State Police have now changed its desingation to:

Weapon Selected: H & K MR556A1;
    Justification: NOT REGULATED BY STATUTE
    Date of Status: 08/05/2014
    Comments: This firearm was originally determined by the Maryland State Police to be a copy of the Colt AR-15. The determination was based on infomation provided by the manufacturer's website. After confirming additional information provided to the Maryland State Police, it would appear that the following internal components of the H & K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H & K MR556A1 is not a copy.

SCORE ONE for COMMON SENSE!

Well done, sir.:thumbsup:

It's about time somebody found a brain.

I wonder how far up the chain of command this decision was made?

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    I followed state police protocol and simply submitted the on line form to request a review of the ban. The review board makes the decision. Not sure who runs it at the police. The MSP have been meeting with FFL's for the past month trying to get issues they are facing as a result of the laws ambiguity resolved. One with whom I spoke today told me the MSP said if you think a gun is questionable they will pair to its supposed copy and see if the components work.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have not checked the list but 90% sure the was one on a table at Frederick today. Remember bc I knew of that deal and laughed at the price difference.

Feb 28, 2013
    It is on the state police page as banned.

I was about to call BS, but you're right. :sad20:

Unbelievable. It's a piston gun for God's sake.:banghead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 324
    Feb 28, 2013
    Someone got them to change their mind with the MR556. I'm not sure what the process would be to get them to reconsider, but there has to be one.

That must have been what I was thinking of when I saw your post. IIRC, someone petioned the MSP with expert testimony that the MR556 would not have interchangeable parts with the AR-15. Easy to do with that since it's also a piston gun.

It should also be easy with the Ruger.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I've seen that RPD and SG-43 posted before but it never gets old.

Not sure about the third (maybe Argentine FN-49?) but that's a beauty too.

Yeah, I love those RPDs. And of course the SG is awesome. I've bid on many FN49s over the years but never came up a winner.

Guessing the Argentines float in the $900 - $1200 range?

I picked mine up for $799 as parts guns from Southern Ohio Guns and rebuilt them for a few cents.... most of them were mechanically (one needed a part or two from Numrich). They cleaned up nicely after I re-parkerized them.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Right they did have those a few years back. If I recall, not that many were made, even fewer imported here.

Not the easiest to find. Even refinished, that’s a keeper.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    That must have been what I was thinking of when I saw your post. IIRC, someone petioned the MSP with expert testimony that the MR556 would not have interchangeable parts with the AR-15. Easy to do with that since it's also a piston gun.
    isn't the MR556 an HBAR, though?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    isn't the MR556 an HBAR, though?

Doesn't matter. MD laws says copies of the .223/5.56 AR-15, HBAR excluded. If it's not a copy and not banned by name, then barrel can be any weight. That's why non-.223/5.56 AR-15 rifles are cash and carry regardless of barrel weight.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Doesn't matter. MD laws says copies of the .223/5.56 AR-15, HBAR excluded. If it's not a copy and not banned by name, then barrel can be any weight. That's why non-.223/5.56 AR-15 rifles are cash and carry regardless of barrel weight.
    right, what i'm saying is, whether or not we all agree, do we know they didn't "rethink" the MR556 because it's an HBAR as opposed to not being a copy, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom