• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scooter

Feb 11, 2013
    I happened to be in Christiana, DE and decided to stop in Cabelas.com. I was looking at rifles and the man at the counter said that the Ruger SR556 was legal to purchase and take with me back to Maryland. Is this true or is it a gray area? I don't wanna drop money on a rifle only to find out I can't have it legally in MD.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    They told me the same. Funny thing is that they have a shelf with 5 semi auto rifles on it that is the "MD Shelf". They told me I could chose from one of those and that the bb guns were "over there..."

Scooter

Feb 11, 2013
    That is what they told me. "Any one of these six. These three are 5.56 and these three use handgun ammo." These walkers running this state have made it so confusing that you have no clue what is exactly legal and illegal.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    In theory it should be but I've never been able to find an official MSP stance on it.

Personally I'd want to see that before buying.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Very good point but I'd want to know if that ban is accurate. Since the MR556 internals aren't completely interchangeable and it has (what appears to be) a heavy barrel, I'd want to know the legal justification. After all, the Tavor is on that banned list too, even though that's technically wrong:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Understandably, getting clarification on pistons (which represent such a small part of the AR market) never seemed to be a priority before 281. I'm hoping an IP is working on this behind the scenes now. It'd potentially mean more choices for us and more revenue for MD dealers.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Many IP's sell pistons, as they should. There is no way you can consider the MR556 a copy of the Colt. It has to be a mistake... But who knows.

twan

Oct 30, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    Many IP's sell pistons, as they should. There is no way you can consider the MR556 a copy of the Colt. It has to be a mistake... But who knows.
    I have called about 5 cant find any thats sells them all says no go. Have any names? I want a sr556. Thanks

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    When Kalashnikovs and all of their variants are banned because they have "evil" features, but a VZ58/2008, which has the same features and is nearly visibly indistinguishable from an AK, is cash 'n' carry, how can anyone take Maryland firearm laws seriously or be expected to confidently conform to them?

Attachments

• evil.jpg
      evil.jpg
      135.7 KB · Views: 1,543

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Glorius :thumbsup:

Even though it makes sense to me, I'd still like to know MSP's official position on it. Either way, hope this becomes the norm, congrats.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I don't ask questions. I show my Maryland drivers license, if they say they will sell it to me, I hand over the green and smile as I walk out of the store with my new toy.

twan

Oct 30, 2009
    Owings Mills, MD
    I don't ask questions. I show my Maryland drivers license, if they say they will sell it to me, I hand over the green and smile as I walk out of the store with my new toy.
    And thats what I did. From what the msp told me it would be on the ffl not me. But I dont think I will have any problems

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do NOT try to apply logic.

And remember the list comes from 1994. So were any of those other variants available then? And would someone who knew nothing about firearms know enough to ban them separately from AZ? They look like AKs, so the people making the list probably thought they WERE AKs.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My favorite non-regulated firearms :

Attachments

• DSCN0032.jpg
      DSCN0032.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 959
    • RPD.jpg
      RPD.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 939
    • DSCN1046.jpg
      DSCN1046.jpg
      77.9 KB · Views: 977

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    When Kalashnikovs and all of their variants are banned because they have "evil" features, but a VZ58/2008, which has the same features and is nearly visibly indistinguishable from an AK, is cash 'n' carry, how can anyone take Maryland firearm laws seriously or be expected to confidently conform to them?

However the internals are different. For example the VZ58 is striker fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom