• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Recently I got my Savage 10FCP, 308, 24" threaded barrel out to the range. Shot very well at 100 yards. I was hoping to get some input on which bolt handle, muzzle break, and even custom stock that you would recommend and why (if possible). This one is a keeper. It is outfitted with a Harris bipod and vortex viper pst scope. I'm running 168gr Sierra loads.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    I'm a fan of keeping firearms as stock as possible, especially if they already function properly. I feel like those upgrades are solutions looking for problems.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I thought the bolt could have been a little better feeling in my hand and figured a good muzzle break would help cut down on the recoil. It performed well at 100 yards, but at 300, 500, 1000 yards might have me thinking of another stock. You guys have always steered me in the right direction.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    If you're serious about long-range stuff, an AICS, McMillan, or Manners is a good start if you want/need a new handle. h-s precision don't cut the mustard. not even sorta.

brake....that's easy. a QD brake for the suppressor of your choice. ;)

i don't know that there are many bolt handle options for savages. sharpshootersupply offers one (put a dot com at the end of it).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Glades Armory has a nice aftermarket O-ringed bolt handle for the Savage, but they have a few other options as well. The O-ringed model is the one I run on my Model 10 (24" .223), it was a nice addition IMO.

http://gladesarmory.com/11/savage

If you have a little slop in the bolt body to receiver, PTG makes a fluted replacement body that you can order in diff't oversized dimensions to tighten things up.

There's numerous things that can be done, but like AF said, if it shoots fine now - why mess with it?

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I thought the bolt could have been a little better feeling in my hand and figured a good muzzle break would help cut down on the recoil. It performed well at 100 yards, but at 300, 500, 1000 yards might have me thinking of another stock. You guys have always steered me in the right direction.

I ran a Model 10PC in .308 out past 1000yds with its stock configuration... 300 --> 1000yds should be a non-issue for you as well.

No brake. No tactical bolt. No upgraded stock.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    If you're serious about long-range stuff, an AICS, McMillan, or Manners is a good start if you want/need a new handle. h-s precision don't cut the mustard. not even sorta.

brake....that's easy. a QD brake for the suppressor of your choice. ;)

i don't know that there are many bolt handle options for savages. sharpshootersupply offers one (put a dot com at the end of it).

The QD brake looks quality, but hodee chit on the price!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    If you're serious about long-range stuff, an AICS, McMillan, or Manners

Best advice so far, I like McMillan and Manners personally... Now why, these stocks allow for better/adjustable comb heights, LOP etc. They also allow you to run detachable mags and usually are more rigid and well thought out when compared to stock offerings!

here is my baby :D

_DSC2239s (2) by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom