• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    I no longer want a 16" barrel so I'm either going to sell it or get a reputable gunsmith to have my 16" AR barrel cut to 14.5" and have a compensator/flash hider pinned and welded. I'm purchasing a complete upper with an 18" barrel soon so I don't feel the need for a 16" barrel anymore. I need to get a rough estimate before I start buying things. Has anyone used or know of a reputable gunsmith?

Thanks in advance

Feb 28, 2013
    Scott's in Glen Burnie does good work but you'll be waiting a while. I have an upper that's been there for about 3 months waiting to get headspaced and the gas block aligned and pinned.

Duffy's has an in-house smith as well, and he told me only 2-4 weeks for the cerakote jobs I have for him.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Plenty of options - depends on where you live and how far you want to drive. I've personally done business with Hafer's, engage and bollingers and would patronize them all again.

In no particular order:

Scott's in GB
    Duffys in sparks
    Engage in Rockville
    Hafer's in Hagerstown
    Bollingers in Taneytown.

ETA - I've not avoided duffys or Scott's due to any bad feedback, simply haven't used them. Realized my earlier comment left that unclear

---
    Shamr0ck

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Scott's in Glen Burnie does good work but you'll be waiting a while. I have an upper that's been there for about 3 months waiting to get headspaced and the gas block aligned and pinned.

Wow, that's long. They're doing an upper build for me, so similar work, and one of the two guys named Larry that I spoke to there said it would only take a few weeks (and I'm only a couple weeks in the queue). Perhaps this was not accurate.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Wow, that's long. They're doing an upper build for me, so similar work, and one of the two guys named Larry that I spoke to there said it would only take a few weeks (and I'm only a couple weeks in the queue). Perhaps this was not accurate.

A few weeks for some folks is 3 weeks, for others, 3 months :lol:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Duffy's has an in-house smith as well, and he told me only 2-4 weeks for the cerakote jobs I have for him.

Was the FSB a virgin non driled version or was it already drilled?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The FSB was part of a surplus parts kit, so it was already drilled. The barrel wasn't though.

It's going to be a problem. The only proper way to install a FSB with pins is using a virgin barrel and FSB. Unless the FSB is welded up (which will DESTROY even carbide bits) it's not going to be a clean job. It's almost impossible to properly locate where to drill with taper pin holes in the FSB.

Not even ADCO will redrill using an drilled FSB to my knowledge. I have done this work before and it took me all day every time and the FSB still required a refinish.

Feb 28, 2013
    That sucks. That thing wasn't easy to get on either.

I told him to order a new bolt if the headspace failed. I guess they'll need to order a new FSB too.

It would have been nice if somebody told me though when I dropped it off.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That sucks. That thing wasn't easy to get on either.

I told him to order a new bolt if the headspace failed. I guess they'll need to order a new FSB too.

It would have been nice if somebody told me though when I dropped it off.

Did you speak to scott or a counter guy? Unless scott was distracted he would have mentioned that unless you wanted faux pins and had set screws installed on the base of the FSB. If the barrel was drilled already it's pretty much a wash unless you want to have set screws used.

Call and ask to speak to Scott, and see what is going on.

Feb 28, 2013
    Did you speak to scott or a counter guy?

No. It was an older gentleman.

Unless scott was distracted he would have mentioned that unless you wanted faux pins and had set screws installed on the base of the FSB. If the barrel was drilled already it's pretty much a wash unless you want to have set screws used.

Absolutely not. No screws, or "faux" anything. I want it done the right way. If that requires ordering a new FSB and drilling both of them together at once, which if I'm reading you right is the way it really should be, then that's what I'll do.

I'm just grateful you brought that to my attention.:thumbsup:

Call and ask to speak to Scott, and see what is going on.

I did back around late March, a month after I dropped it off. According to the guy I talked to, Scott hadn't got to it yet. They did say they were backed up, so I don't wanna be a pest.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    No. It was an older gentleman.

Absolutely not. No screws, or "faux" anything. I want it done the right way. If that requires ordering a new FSB and drilling both of them together at once, which if I'm reading you right is the way it really should be, then that's what I'll do.

I'm just grateful you brought that to my attention.:thumbsup:

I did back around late March, a month after I dropped it off. According to the guy I talked to, Scott hadn't got to it yet. They did say they were backed up, so I don't wanna be a pest.

Try not to be too concerned. I'll help you no matter what. Just talk to Scott and see what he can do. Just tell him you want it taper pinned and he will explain how you can get it accomplished to your satisfaction.

Feb 28, 2013
    Try not to be too concerned. I'll help you no matter what. Just talk to Scott and see what he can do. Just tell him you want it taper pinned and he will explain how you can get it accomplished to your satisfaction.

You've helped plenty. Thank you. :thumbsup:

If you know this, chances are he does too and will likely be calling me with the same things you just told me.

I might give 'em a holler anyhow tomorrow.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Unless the Barrel is an HBAR its useless in MD...I would think it would be cheaper/quicker to buy your pinned 14.5" and sell the 16" or save it for another build???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom