• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok. So I was going to get back into precision rifles, but things happened (including SCSC losing it's range), and I never got around to it.

Anywho, I'ma thinking about it again. Since last time I had a dedicated precision rig (GAP SCLE w/Leupy 3.5-10 M3), I've had kids, bought a house, etc. sooooo I'm on a more strict budget.

That being said, I've been looking at a Rem AAC-SD, Tikka CTR, FN SPR A1A, Other? All in .308.

Here's how I see things...

Remington 700 AAC SD
    PROS

• Parts etc. everywhere
      Good rep for accuracy
      Price point

CONS

• It's a "new" Remington (J Lock, spotty QC, etc)
      Crappy stock that will get replaced
      Need to buy mounts
      Trigger work will be needed

Tikka CTR
    PROS

• Great action
      Very high quality barrel
      Good trigger
      Built-in Pic rail
      Threaded barrel (should I ever get a can)
      Bottom metal that's actually metal
      TRG 22 mags that will take "long" reloads (even though I don't reload yet)

CONS

• Harder to find
      A couple $100 more expensive than the Remington
      Stock seems kind of "meh", but from all I've read there are no problems with it

FNH SPR A1A
    PROS

• Proven action
      High quality barrel that will pretty much outlast me
      McMillan A5 stock
      Pic rail included

CONS

• EXPENSIVE

Now, as for "other" I was thinking of either finding a used Rem 700 (or a Walmart special) and gradually getting the parts together and have a 'smith put it together. The other alternative was a Howa, but I really don't know much about them.

Savage rifles just don't do it for me.

Now, I'm thinking that if I go with the AAC, by the time I get it to the level of the Tikka or the FNH, I could very possibly end up spending more than if I got either of the other rifles. Or, are my Remington concerns overblown, and it's a great rifle "as is"?

The only thing I could see replacing on the Tikka would be the stock, which also puts it in the FNH price point.

IMO, the FN would pretty much only need a scope and ammo.

What are your thoughts on the notion of getting a used Rem 700 "donor" and building it up? I figure a "Walmart special", sell the factory stock and barrel, a decent barrel, and Magpul stock (or maybe choate or bell and carlson) and I could be into it for less than a grand.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Since Savage is out, buy a used 700 and gut it.

I'd planned on building a lefty 700, until I saw what the actions were running - no thanks. So I'm sticking with my budget Savage build.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    By the time you get a donor Rem action and have it trued, you'll be within a couple hundred dollars of a custom action. Then you have to get it barreled and add a stock... That's not going to save you much money unless you get a cheap barrel and stock. At that point, just stick with an off the shelf Remmy.

Of the bunch you mentioned, the FN is your best bet.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Actually, you could look at the Remmage set-up and go that route. Basically, it's a Savage set-up on a Remmy action. Uses a barrel nut like the Savages and allows for self install barrels and will save a few hundred on rebarrleing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What action?

The one that uses a mix of different makers in one.

Remington footprint, Savage barrel attachment method, the funky lugs on the bolt, Mauser extractor, and fixed ejector.

**Damn it, can't find the thread or remember who posted it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Interesting idea, but too rich for my blood.

First I'd seen the rem-mage before, could be a contender in my mind - if the price is right.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    By the time you get a donor Rem action and have it trued, you'll be within a couple hundred dollars of a custom action. Then you have to get it barreled and add a stock... That's not going to save you much money unless you get a cheap barrel and stock. At that point, just stick with an off the shelf Remmy.

Of the bunch you mentioned, the FN is your best bet.

I agree with all if this, at this point I would go with the FN.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One nice thing about getting a Remington 700 is you can get the rifle, and buy the good stock and such as you get more money. Especially a used 700. I opted for my precision rig to get a 300 WinMag. One of the members here kindly sold me his Sendero II with scope for a really nice deal. The Sendero II has a Bell & Carlson stock, a heavy fluted barrel, and an adjustable trigger. They don't make it in .308, though.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    So a fella was at a class I went to a couple of months ago in PA touting the BigHorn actions. http://www.bighornarms.com/action-info/features/

Rem 700 pattern and screw on barrels. He was saying that his barrels timed perfectly and his single short action was used for 3 or 4 different barrels/calibers. Same basic theory as the barrel nut on the Rem 700 but in a much stronger action.

Looks from the site like ~$1,200 for the bolt and action.

No personal experience with them.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Trumpet, FWIW, I got the Remington 700 AAC-SD.
    I put the Leupold picatinny rail mount (+15 MOA) and Leupold MKIV rings on the rifle, and Nikon BuckMasters 4.5-18x scope on it.

With my handloads, it's shooting consistent sub MOA groups at 100 yards.

This little rifle and I are looking forward to spending some time on the new SCSC property. :D

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    So a fella was at a class I went to a couple of months ago in PA touting the BigHorn actions. http://www.bighornarms.com/action-info/features/

Rem 700 pattern and screw on barrels. He was saying that his barrels timed perfectly and his single short action was used for 3 or 4 different barrels/calibers. Same basic theory as the barrel nut on the Rem 700 but in a much stronger action.

Looks from the site like ~$1,200 for the bolt and action.

No personal experience with them.

Which leaves me with enough money left over to use PVC for the barrel and a paper towel tube for a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom