• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    a 9mm will travel 1000 yards if you hold it at the right angle. It doesnt mean its ideal.

Of course. But 300blk supers still have an energy advantage over 5.56 out to at least 500yds. Yes, they drop more but still hit harder.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I have been looking at an SPR (5.56/.223) for distance work for quite some time, but have never pulled the trigger. The main reason, I don't think the 18" barrel gives you that much of an advantage over a 16". In addition, if you're going "distance", I would prefer a larger caliber for better ballistics and energy. An AR10 in .308 makes sense, but that's a heavy pig! The 6.5 Grendel is where I am leaning these days and the plethora of bullets in that category are numerous.

Unless you really want an SPR and a marginal FPS gain, I'd stick with a Recce build (16" barrel) and get a good barrel and optic. Then again, there's the whole rifle length v. mid-length gas system decision...

Caveat: "Marginal" is subjective.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    I have been looking at an SPR (5.56/.223) for distance work for quite some time, but have never pulled the trigger. The main reason, I don't think the 18" barrel gives you that much of an advantage over a 16". In addition, if you're going "distance", I would prefer a larger caliber for better ballistics and energy. An AR10 in .308 makes sense, but that's a heavy pig! The 6.5 Grendel is where I am leaning these days and the plethora of bullets in that category are numerous.

Unless you really want an SPR and a marginal FPS gain, I'd stick with a Recce build (16" barrel) and get a good barrel and optic. Then again, there's the whole rifle length v. mid-length gas system decision...

Caveat: "Marginal" is subjective.
    I think the main advantage of the 18 inch barrel is the rifle length gas system. The softer recoil will definitely be beneficial when reacquiring your sights, at least on an SPR setup.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I built an 5.56/223 SPRish rifle and I love it. Like mentioned above its just a precision, medium size , medium heavy AR topped with a mid range variable scope.

Mine was about 1600 for the rifle only. Upgraded parts include a Walther barrel and Geissele SSA-E trigger.

My primary goal since I do not reload was lower cost precision shooting.

If external or terminal ballistics are your primary goal there are better calibers to choose from.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    SPR is a intermediate range sniper weapon

SBR is a Short Barrel Rifle

I think you meant SBR

I think he was trying to equate the common use of SPR and Krink as generic terms.
    SPR being used as a generic term instead of specifically referring to the Mk12
    and any type short barrel AK being called Krink instead of specifically indicating the AKS-74U.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I built one with an 18" Larue upper and geissele SSA trigger. Topped it with a trijicon accupoint 5-25. About half the time run an AAC M4-2k. It's my new favorite rifle. Shoots .5" with IMI Mk 262's. Silenced opens up to 1".

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I think he was trying to equate the common use of SPR and Krink as generic terms.
    SPR being used as a generic term instead of specifically referring to the Mk12
    and any type short barrel AK being called Krink instead of specifically indicating the AKS-74U.

yes sorry for the confusion

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    I finished a SPR build last weekend. optics and bypod aside it ran me about 1750$ Thats with an Engage WOA barrel and Geisselle trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom