• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    Just acquired a Model 70 New Haven Classic Stainless in 270 today, but sending it down to my gunsmith in Arizona to put a Krieger 35 caliber barrel on it and chambering it in 35 Whelen. Going to be my go to moose, and bear rifle when I get back to AK.

Also putting a set of winchester open sights, getting it bedded into a McMillan stock and having the trigger worked on.

Now I'm debating on getting it Nitrite finished, just so I never have to worry about it in the weather.

I've been dreaming of this gun for years and finally getting her built. Can't wait to get it back!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Congratulations, great choice, can't wait to see it, 35 Whelen is a fantastic hunting round. I've got a custom 03 Springfield in 35 Whelen Improved. Rifle is a medium bore tack driver. 35 Whelen and Imp brass is easy to make from 06 brass.
    Here are some pics, the rifle, brass from 06 to 35 Whelen Imp and a 6 shot 100 yard target from a cold bore using 250 grain Speer's.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
      IMG_2293.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 261
    • IMG_2619.jpg
      IMG_2619.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 271
    • IMG_2681.jpg
      IMG_2681.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 264

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Great cartridge!

I've had three .35 Whelens. The first was a '98 Mauser I had rebarreled in the '70s, next was a Remington 700 .30-06 that was rebored by Doug Bellm in the early '80s, the last was a 700 Classic I bought the year they came out.

What are you planning to shoot through it? I might look at Barnes bullets if I started with one now, but I used to feed mine 225 Noslers with excellent results.

I've has several stainless barrels Teflon coated and the coating has outlived the bore in every case, although barrel life with the Whelen is virtually unlimited.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have the 700 Classic and really like it!

Likely should sell it though since I'm not going to get out west in this life time and don't need it where I hunt here. Great rifle and caliber!

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I've got some 200 grain ttsx that I'll try with it. I'm a sucker for the old Nosler Partitions though. I'll likely load a bunch of loads for it and see what the rifle likes.

I hear a lot of guys say the 35 whelen is obsolete and I'm wasting my money. But I think there is just something special about hunting with that classic cartridge. It's tipped over a lot of big critters back west, and my favorite of the 35 cal chamberings.

If I ever get an elk hunt going, or draw one of the Afognak or Rasberry island elk tags in AK, that rifle will for sure be the one I grab. I drew a brown bear tag up in AK again this year, hopefully it's done by the time my season opens, it'll be awesome to have it with me.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Before you settle on your final chambering you may want to look into the 35 Whelen Ackley Improved if you already reload.
    It is a very easy wildcat to load for. You can shoot factory 35 Whelen loads with fine accuracy that will fire form the brass or you can neck up new 06 brass and fire form that. Not any big improvement over 35 Whelen,maybe 100 fps at best but you pretty much never have to trim a case.
    Redding makes a very nice die set, I have been using RL-15 powder with very good results.
    Here is one discussion on the 2.
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...topics/1919211/Question_and_thoughts_about_35

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I was in the Dicks in Crofton a few months ago killing time waiting to meet up with Wife and Daughter to see a movie next door (nice theater) On the end of the lower gun rack was a short rifle with a black synthetic stock with a big sale sign on it. Got my attention so I asked to take a look at it. Turns out it is a little H&R Handi Rifle, single shot in .35 Whelen. Price was marked down to just over $200. I got that gleen and twitch in my eyes, yes, it was going home with me. Read so many great stories about the cartridge, that I had to have the little rifle. Got a Weaver "Duck Commander" scope on sale from MidwayUSA for it in Leupold rings. Had to go to Virginia to find factory loads. Once set up and sighted in, the gun shoots very well. I will be taking it to Georgia to go hog hunting with my Son in Law. Sadly I think production of these great low cost rifles has ceased, with the .35 Whelen being pretty rare chambering. I recently found out that in a few states, these rifles are allowed under primitive firearm hunting restrictions.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I've seen factory ammo for it here and there. I've been buying components for reloading for the past couple years. Got a couple bags of brass and some bullets to try out. Somebody had 4 boxes on the campfire this morning but too slow on the draw for that one. As of now I think Remington and Nosler are the only companies currently making brass for 35 Whelen, hopefully the ammo companies can start production on all the odd ball stuff again soon. I get taken to the cleaners everytime somebody has some 7mm wsm brass for sale.

I'll give the 35 Whelen A.I. some thought. I've never really looked into the A.I.. chamberings too much. The 280 A.I. is very popular amongst sheep hunters in AK, so I've looked into them. They like to buy the lightweight kimber montanas and build them. I've heard the 280 A.I. is really finicky though.

I've read that my 300 Weatherby is essentially a 300 H&H A.I. And I've never had to trim any brass for my 300 Wby.

I'll do some research on the ackley improved chamberings and make a decision. Krieger has an approximate 3 month lead time on their barrels, so it's not like I don't have time. I think McMillan has about the same on their stocks.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Brass is zero problem for the 35 Whelen or the AI, just neck up 30-06 and fire form. I was out at AGC fireforming 20 rounds today using 200 grain Hornadys.
    100 yard 20 round target, one high and right was first shot, rifle was originally sighted in using 250 grain Speer's.
    My shoulder is a little sore:)

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
      IMG_0150.jpg
      79.9 KB · Views: 159

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I hear you on the sore shoulder. I broke down and got me a lead sled for bench shooting, My shoulder just can't take the recoil after a few hours of load development. Especially when shooting some of my magnum rifles. I don't care what you do to a 300 RUM, or you aren't taming it down. I never notice it when I'm hunting though.

Necking up 30-06 was the plan if I run out of Whelen brass. I've got a couple bags so I should have enough to last me a while. I see it pop up on Nosler's site all the time. In fact I'm pretty sure I saw some blemished ammo on there last night. Can't go wrong with Nosler brass either, I've got a bunch of Nosler 308 brass that's lasted quite a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom