• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonebrave

Sep 27, 2014
    Does anyone know who uses the range here? I've seen signs posted at the gravel road entrance off Soil Conservation Rd about "Police Training In Progress". From the satellite image, it looks like there might be a couple ranges.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm not sure which range exactly it is, but my friend's parents who are physicists at Goddard tell me that they hear gunshots from federal LE training now and then. Apparently the FBI and ATF train there. The ATF does have a field office in Greenbelt, so it would make sense. Back in high school, my friend's brother lit off a string of firecrackers inside his own locker. The ATF was at the school (in Greenbelt) immediately, just about when local police arrived.

Goddard used to have an on-base rifle club, don't know if that is still running

The club still exists, but they don't shoot on the campus range anymore. They're a part of AGC now.

http://www.goddardgunclub.org/cmps_index.php

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Isn't the Secret Service training place way back behind BARC ... probably too far to hear from Goddard at least most of the time

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Nope, got closed as soon as they finshed improvements to it. Is now used for guard training.

Incorrect, there is now a building where the range used to be on GSFC. The security twinks train at the BARC range.

Isn't the Secret Service training place way back behind BARC ... probably too far to hear from Goddard at least most of the time

Correct and different range.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010

It sure is. Just east of the B/W parkway and north of Power Mill Road. This is just a few miles up Soil Conservation Road from the back side of Goddard.

Depending on the sounds those at Goddard would also hear the shotguns from PG Trap and Skeet on Good Luck Rd.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was gonna say, PGTS is also an option for what you're hearing, depending on where in GSFC you happen to be standing. As others have mentioned, BARC is close by, but you need to work for the USDA to use it.

The closest rifle range to GSFC accessible to the general public is Berwyn Rod and Gun Club, and that's also members only.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It sure is. Just east of the B/W parkway and north of Power Mill Road. This is just a few miles up Soil Conservation Road from the back side of Goddard.

Depending on the sounds those at Goddard would also hear the shotguns from PG Trap and Skeet on Good Luck Rd.

You can see a portion of their Hogan's alley city from 295 when driving by.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    It's the "AG Range" (USDA, as mentioned previously). Primarily used for LE qualifications by numerous agencies. Qualified there probably 50 times over the last 15 years.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The old GSFC gun Club facility was near the Rec Center, and not visable from Soil Conservation Rd.

Back circa late '70s there was a different USDA Gun Club range located to the east of , and accessed from Edmonston Rd, unknown current status. ( Nowhere near the facility linked to in first post.)

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    On Goddard, you can definitely hear shotgun sounds coming from Prince Georges Trap and Skeet. If you look at Google Maps, you'll see that it lies just to the northeast of the new alignment for Soil Conservation Rd.

JoeR

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I'm not sure which range exactly it is, but my friend's parents who are physicists at Goddard tell me that they hear gunshots from federal LE training now and then. Apparently the FBI and ATF train there. The ATF does have a field office in Greenbelt, so it would make sense. Back in high school, my friend's brother lit off a string of firecrackers inside his own locker. The ATF was at the school (in Greenbelt) immediately, just about when local police arrived.

The club still exists, but they don't shoot on the campus range anymore. They're a part of AGC now.

http://www.goddardgunclub.org/cmps_index.php

While working at BARC different agencies used to come over and "take over" different buildings during training scenarios.

The old GSFC gun Club facility was near the Rec Center, and not visable from Soil Conservation Rd.

Back circa late '70s there was a different USDA Gun Club range located to the east of , and accessed from Edmonston Rd, unknown current status. ( Nowhere near the facility linked to in first post.)

Yep, I used to be the RSO at that range. Back then we could bring our guns to work, unloaded of course left locked in the vehicle.

I was at that range many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom