Well since I can't buy an AR15 anymore...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I decided O'Malley was correct, that semi auto fire is not sufficient in this day of age...

So yesterday the money went out for my next NFA Stamp! Its a Rock Island Armory Converted, Sendra M15A1. Thats basically a M16 for those who don't know. Its on a Form 3 already, so transfer to my dealer will be quick. Hopefully the eform 3 will speed it up even more.

Price is around 15x what it would be if there was no 86 MG ban. However its becoming clear that the AR and Mac are being the platform for all further MG development. This will give me both. This also fills the hole in my collection between SubMG fire and Watercooled beltfed full size rifle MG fire.

That said I am really not an AR15/M16 guy. Pre SB281 passing, I only owned one Bushmaster M4 Type AR. Now I have a Retro XM16E1 upper really to build with a semi retro lower. However the upper was done with a FA bolt so it can be used with this MG lower. Pictures to come in the rifle section when complete. I also have two more AR lowers (Spikes and Stag). So I am building my M16/AR15 family quick.

So once I recover from this mammoth expense, I will be looking for uppers. Not being an AR guy, I will likely need some help. I will likely start with a Shrike upper with a Saker Can. However after that I am very open. I have been thinking LWRC piston upper and some kind of 9mm Conversion. The only 22LR kit I would do is one that take the AM180 drums as I have a nice Mac 22LR conversion. Maybe I can even get sold on one of the 300 Blackout uppers... Anyway, I should have time as it will probably be around Chirstmas 2014 before I see the gun!

nfafirearms.19261.2.jpg

sendrarightfull.jpg

nfafirearms.19261.1.Blanked.jpg

willandtestament

Jan 14, 2011
    Nice! Where did you find the Sendra conversion?

I am on the hunt for a Colt M16A1 currently myself.

Sendras are great conversions.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks guys!

Not an assault rifle! FSA Compliant!!!

No it is an Assault Rifle. Its not a Maryland Assault rifle. ;)

Nice! Where did you find the Sendra conversion?

I am on the hunt for a Colt M16A1 currently myself.

Sendras are great conversions.

I got it off Sturmgewehr from a SOT. So not super great deal as far as prices goes but I don't have the worry about a scam unless the ATF is in with him... I have read the Sendras were good receivers. Of course Sendra did not turn it into a MG. RIA got sued over these. Colt sued them because they said they were so close to spec, it could not have gotten those exact numbers from having reverse engineered it. Colt claimed they had a Colt Tech Package. RIA settled out of court and agreed never to make AR15/M16s again... or at least that is the story. Hopefully that means its about as good as you get other than a Colt.

Colt M16a1s have just gone out of sight being well over $20K now. Even Colt AR15s MGs that where factory MGs for export are at or above $20K. So for the money, these Sendras seem like the way to go. That said it was still more than my next to most expensive guns combined. I wish I could have bought a year or two ago... I had to sell off a lot of stuff to pay for this one...

Congratulations! :thumbsup: Glad you finally found one. It will be nice to have another M16 at our shoots. And I just got mine last week. :D.

Haha... Yeah it will be. Did you figure out what you are going to do about uppers for your SP1? Can't wait to see yours. Bring it Sunday!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Thanks guys!

No it is an Assault Rifle. Its not a Maryland Assault rifle. ;)
    That's what I meant, lol.
    Apparently our Pre-SB281 AR-15's are the deadliest things in existence. We gotta call Quantico and let them know our Marines are horribly ill-equipped.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Haha... Yeah it will be. Did you figure out what you are going to do about uppers for your SP1? Can't wait to see yours. Bring it Sunday!

I've already run about 200 rds of .223, 9mm, and .22LR through it in full auto since I picked it up Friday. It's nice to have lots of choices. :D

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Please tell me you vetted this transfer to not be another scam. I know we've already discussed this, but those f*ckers are everywhere!

Anyway, for a non-beltfed upper, it's hard to beat an Adams Arms piston. I have a 7.5" upper from them and it stabilizes a 62gr bullet pretty well out to 100yrds. Not bad for a rifle that's the size of my arm with a silencer on it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Nice looking gun. Hopefully not too crazy expensive. Glad I got my Colt RR when I did as it has been a good investment, as has any Class III basically. Question for those using 9mm uppers on their FA guns. Anyone have egging problems? I have a 7.5" 9mm upper with a ramped bolt but have been reluctant to use it after reading a lot about receivers getting egged out by blow back uppers. Sorry for the minor hijack.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I've not used my 9mm upper out of the same concern. Just one test session and the paranoia set in.

Nice looking gun. Hopefully not too crazy expensive. Glad I got my Colt RR when I did as it has been a good investment, as has any Class III basically. Question for those using 9mm uppers on their FA guns. Anyone have egging problems? I have a 7.5" 9mm upper with a ramped bolt but have been reluctant to use it after reading a lot about receivers getting egged out by blow back uppers. Sorry for the minor hijack.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Nice! I remember buying my first handgun ( a Glock 17) at a small shop in Baltimore called Specialty Arms back in 1995. I was so impressed that they had a wall of NFA goodies. They had a Colt 20" A2 m16 for $3500. I thought it was a good deal, but my brother who was issued one in the Marines couldn't understand why it was so much when a Colt AR was under a grand. I wish so bad I had bought that instead of the Glock!

Congrats on your new toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom