• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    Figured I'd make a thread as an update about the little situation I made for myself at tc's build party...

problem summary:

I thought I screwed up my barrel to the point where I needed to go with an over sized pin or have it rewelded. After struggling to get the pin in, I realized I didn't have a clean hole. The headspace came off and the barrel became unclocked.

what I did:

I pushed the barrel back in and re-set the headspace today after my toth tool barrel press came in. The headspace is TIGHT, very difficult to close on a go gauge, and no in-out movement with live rounds (red army, Ukrainian/russian wolf, golden tiger).

result:

It actually looks like there's plenty of material left for me to not have to go oversized or weld. It also looks like I didn't egg the trunnion holes.

Looks like I will need to finish reaming it with a 7mm. I just need to get access to a drill press now... also need to finish populating this barrel and I should be good to go.

Attachments

• barrelpin1.jpg
      barrelpin1.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 457
    • barrelpin2.jpg
      barrelpin2.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 428
    • barrelpin3.jpg
      barrelpin3.jpg
      37.8 KB · Views: 449
    • barrelpin4.jpg
      barrelpin4.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 435
    • barrelpin5.jpg
      barrelpin5.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 456
    • barrelpin6.jpg
      barrelpin6.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 439

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Ive got a drill press. And a mini mill if you want less runout. :)

Won't be bringing them to the party on the 2nd but glad to see it working out!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'll second the mill idea.

Once you hit that ledge, a drill bit will walk big time and possibly grab and break.

Another solution would be to use a small, rattail file and dress it down by hand.

If you still need to open the hole up, a hand held pin reamer would be better than drilling or milling.

Use plenty of quality cutting fluid. Like Magic Tap.

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    I am looking forward to getting this thing together and shooting the crap out of it... really some awesome people on this board.

Also extremely pleased to see that the barrel is NOT canted! The only other stamped receiver AK I have has a cant to the left and it's been driving me nuts! That was one of my biggest fears in this build, seems that fear was misplaced haha

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    finished putting it together, need to thread the muzzle for the brake. Can't say thanks enough for all the help I've gotten

Attachments

• IMAG2867.jpg
      IMAG2867.jpg
      159.8 KB · Views: 343

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads