• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    One of the other threads started to digress into discussions about templates for bound books. Since it's been awhile since we last visited that topic, and there are new C&R license holders here, I thought it more useful to start a new thread than to keep on in the thread about SKS rifles.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    There are lots of shared examples of bound books floating around out there. Here's one that I prepared, trying to keep it as strictly in keeping with that BATFE's stated regs as possible. Others allow for more info, photos, and all sorts of other things. This one is intended to be "strictly by the book".

Attachments

• AAA_Bound_Book_Share_2013.xlsx
      26.2 KB · Views: 328

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Might be good to post PDF versions. A more universal format to view and print.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    This is the one I use. (or were looking specifically for discussion of such?)

http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65666&d=1347244040

That's the first one that I created and shared here. The file attachment in the post just beneath that is an updated version of 25 pages (5 per page). It provides for 125 firearms, so it's a good starter book form.

I keep mine in a 3-ring binder with clear plastic sleeves. When I add a firearm to my book, I enter it into my XLS form, then print just the last page and change that out in my book.

That's the first one that I created and shared here. The file attachment in the post just beneath that is an updated version of 25 pages (5 per page). It provides for 125 firearms, so it's a good starter book form.

I keep mine in a 3-ring binder with clear plastic sleeves. When I add a firearm to my book, I enter it into my XLS form, then print just the last page and change that out in my book.

:banghead:

OK,but I'm trying not to get to 125 entries.:D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Duffy's sells a really nice bound book for about $12. It's more than a 3 ring binder, but well put together.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I got one from amazon while I was waiting for my license to get here. It was around $15 IIRC.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    After checking out a number of software and template solutions, ultimately, I opted to go with something more formal. For $15 (inclusive of shipping), I got a properly bound book from RK Enterprises via ebay. Not only does it do away with the issue of printing/retaining loose sheets of paper, but I think it provides a more serious presentation if/when ATF requests to see my book:

Attachments

• RK Bound Book 001.jpg
      RK Bound Book 001.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 585
    • RK Bound Book 002.jpg
      RK Bound Book 002.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 577
    • RK Bound Book 004.jpg
      RK Bound Book 004.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 572

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I was worried about a mistake in my bound book a couple months ago and was reading tons of posts on this topic.

One thread I came upon (can't find it now) had a guy who got audited as a C&R. The ATF agent made him redo his entire book while she was there, because it wasn't exactly identical with the example given

He had all the same info, but she wanted it EXACT with the same info in the same columns or rows as shown on the ATF website.

I can't verify this as true, its just what the guy said. He said she wasn't mad or anything, just told him it had to be the exact format and made him redo it.

FWIW....

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    One thread I came upon (can't find it now) had a guy who got audited as a C&R. The ATF agent made him redo his entire book while she was there, because it wasn't exactly identical with the example given

He had all the same info, but she wanted it EXACT with the same info in the same columns or rows as shown on the ATF website.

That's why I patterned the Excel and PDF format pages that I created after the following info. 'Way back when I was a newly-discharged veteran who was trying to go to college on an inadequate GI Bill, one of the many jobs I had was clearing customs for a machinery import company. I got along great with the U.S. Customs guys, but they were the most "by the book" folks on earth. You couldn't even use blue ink on the forms--it had to be black.

The easiest way to avoid problems with the government is to copy their forms exactly and make sure what you put on them is legible and complete ... without anything extra. If you want pics of your guns, etc., have a separate scrapbook that you use for that sort of stuff.

Note that the wording in (2) states, "The format required for the record (emphasis mine) ... is as follows:" It doesn't say the format that's suggested, recommended, preferred, or anything else of that sort. In government speak, "format required" means to do it exactly that way.

Now, you may never get audited, you may get audited and have the agent let it slide, or you may have them impressed with the kewl book that you got from Amazon ... but what will always be the last word on both sides of the issue is what's written in this excerpt.

Attachments

• ATF_CandR_Bound_Book_Format.jpg
      ATF_CandR_Bound_Book_Format.jpg
      120 KB · Views: 533

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Great thread... Definately looking to stick by the letter on the rules for a bound book. Some really good info here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom