• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cvillanueva

Feb 13, 2012
    Waldorf
    I've been out of state for a while with the military. I've been hearing that there have new changes to owning AR type rifles. Can someone send me a few links to them? Or give a comprehensive summary. Bottom line question is: if I purchase a bushmaster m4a3 from nc, am I allowed to bring it back to maryland without violating any federal or state laws? Thanks

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    not if you purchase it now, you would have had to purchase it prior to sb281 coming active [10/1/2013]

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    Just to throw this out cause I haven't seen a case of this. If your home of record was other than Maryland but stationed in Maryland, would you be able to purchase a non SB281 complaint AR then bring it back, registering it upon arrival assumed?

If you're stationed in another state with a Maryland home or record, then I believe you're able to get a non 281 rifle and upon returning to Maryland to live, you'd register it.

I'd go into a longer bit, but work calls hideously early.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO Cvillanueva

Your safest bet is to call Md state Police, Pikesville Barracks...that is where the main HQ is for firearms. Just so your getting it straight from the legal mouth.:-) To be safe. Or read the laws regarding SB281 which if you google, you should be able to find easy enough.

Good luck, wish you well, since your military you MAY stand a chance.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Just to throw this out cause I haven't seen a case of this. If your home of record was other than Maryland but stationed in Maryland, would you be able to purchase a non SB281 complaint AR then bring it back, registering it upon arrival assumed?

If you're stationed in another state with a Maryland home or record, then I believe you're able to get a non 281 rifle and upon returning to Maryland to live, you'd register it.

You can't bring it into Maryland if it was purchased after 10/01/2013.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    You can't bring it into Maryland if it was purchased after 10/01/2013.

Generally, that's true. But if you lived in another state and owned one then moved into the state, then you can. you would be required to register it.

johnnyb2 has the right idea in contacting MSP about it. The key part of this is that the OP is military. If post 10/1 prohibited are coming into the state, it's most likely military being PCS'd into Maryland.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    WOW, this is yet another stupidly grey issue with SB281.

As military, the ATF considers you a resident of NC if you are stationed there and you can buy anything that they sell in NC legally. I have feeling that the MSP is going to say that you can't bring it back BUT then a person who is a resident of another state that gets orders to a base in MD would be allowed to bring his firearm into the state???

typical libtard gun laws...clear as mud

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    When I talked to msp they told me that while here on orders I can bring it what I purchase legally in my home state, with no obligation to register. Registration is only required if establishing permanent residency. I wish I would have gotten it in writing but I'm sure the answer won't be much different if you call.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    When I talked to msp they told me that while here on orders I can bring it what I purchase legally in my home state, with no obligation to register. Registration is only required if establishing permanent residency. I wish I would have gotten it in writing but I'm sure the answer won't be much different if you call.
    You cannot transport an assault weapon into the state. One exception is you possessed it prior to October 1, 2013. That is correct about registration, but possession of the assault weapon must also be legal.

TO Cvillanueva

Your safest bet is to call Md state Police, Pikesville Barracks...that is where the main HQ is for firearms. Just so your getting it straight from the legal mouth.:-) To be safe. Or read the laws regarding SB281 which if you google, you should be able to find easy enough.

Good luck, wish you well, since your military you MAY stand a chance.
    MSP are not your safest bet. Ask three people, you get four answers.

That would not be legal.

Airborne!

May 5, 2014
    I am in a similar situation, how does the state of Maryland know when I purchase a firearm? None of the firearms purchased in NC require registration.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Ring Mark Bowen, Maryland Assistant Attorney General, at: 410.653.4228.
    He's a good, knowledgeable guy and I'm sure he'll be able to answer your questions.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Generally, that's true. But if you lived in another state and owned one then moved into the state, then you can. you would be required to register it.

johnnyb2 has the right idea in contacting MSP about it. The key part of this is that the OP is military. If post 10/1 prohibited are coming into the state, it's most likely military being PCS'd into Maryland.

Again, per FSA2013, you have to have purchased the firearm (AR) prior to Oct 1, 2013 to be eligible to bring it into the state of MD and register it. If it was purchased after Oct 1, 2013, regardless of the laws in the state it was purchased in, MSP, the AG, and the State of MD will not allow you to bring it into the state as a resident or potential resident.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I am in a similar situation, how does the state of Maryland know when I purchase a firearm? None of the firearms purchased in NC require registration.

They don't, at least not without a lot of trouble. We were told it would be the state's burden to prove.

Some accept that assessment, some don't. I don't carry any proof. Doesn't mean you won't take the ride with a frisky cop but let's hope not.

So far it hasn't been a problem AFAIK.

I would follow the letter of the law however. They would love to bust somebody for their worthless law.

Remember HBARs should be OK, hopefully that's what you have then it doesn't matter.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Again, per FSA2013, you have to have purchased the firearm (AR) prior to Oct 1, 2013 to be eligible to bring it into the state of MD and register it. If it was purchased after Oct 1, 2013, regardless of the laws in the state it was purchased in, MSP, the AG, and the State of MD will not allow you to bring it into the state as a resident or potential resident.

That is correct. If you bought it 10/1/13 or later you can't bring it.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    You may not be able to get exactly what you want, but you can still buy an AR 15. MSAR had a brand new DPMS Recon .223 for sale not long ago, completely legal because it is HBAR and has a little roll pin installed that prevents the stock from unlocking making it non-adjustable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom