• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Question:
    If you are exempt from the training requirement (owned regulated firearms prior to Oct 1st), do you still need to do the "Live Fire"?

My understanding is that you dont since the "Live Fire" is part of the training. BUT, I've been hearing conflicting reports. Just curious if anyone who has already applied for the HQL has an answer.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    I wonder if there is a correlation between providing your social security number & how quickly your Mental Health check was done.

I did not provide my social on either and it is still not complete.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Question:
    If you are exempt from the training requirement (owned regulated firearms prior to Oct 1st), do you still need to do the "Live Fire"?

My understanding is that you dont since the "Live Fire" is part of the training. BUT, I've been hearing conflicting reports. Just curious if anyone who has already applied for the HQL has an answer.

No live fire for you. It's part of the training that you are exempt from.

pwilson1204

Mar 16, 2011
    PROCESS QUESTIONS

Hello:

I've been doing some web searching, and I am ready to go get the fingerprinting and then do the license application. I registered to do the license, but before I open an actual file, I wanted to ask (confirm) three things. 1. As I undestand it, the fingerprint fee (including the state and FBI background checks) is $54.50, whether done commercially or at the MVA offices. Is this correct? 2. The actual application fee is $50, which presumably can be paid via credit card on line, bringing the total fees to $104.50? Is this correct? 3. I am honorably discharged from the US Navy, so I do not need the training course. How is this handled within the online application? Do I need to scan my 214 to append?

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Best regards,

pwilson1204

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    As I undestand it, the fingerprint fee (including the state and FBI background checks) is $54.50, whether done commercially or at the MVA offices. Is this correct?

No. The fingerprint fee is $34.50.

The extra amount ($10, $20, $30, etc) is the fee charged by the vendor taking the prints.

FCSO charges $20 so their total fee is $54.50, CCSO charges $10 so their total fee is $44.50, and ESS in Eldersburg charges $30 so their total fee is $64.50.

Vassago

Sep 23, 2013
    MoCo
    Well checked my status today and things that were marked as complete on my checklist are now marked as incomplete. Anyone else had this happen?

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    I wonder if there is a correlation between providing your social security number & how quickly your Mental Health check was done.

I did not provide my social on either and it is still not complete.

I did not provide my social security number for the fingerprints or the license and my mental health check is already back. I honestly believe there is currently no correlation between not providing a SSN and being delayed.

Just my experience. YMMV.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hello:

I've been doing some web searching, and I am ready to go get the fingerprinting and then do the license application. I registered to do the license, but before I open an actual file, I wanted to ask (confirm) three things. 1. As I undestand it, the fingerprint fee (including the state and FBI background checks) is $54.50, whether done commercially or at the MVA offices. Is this correct? 2. The actual application fee is $50, which presumably can be paid via credit card on line, bringing the total fees to $104.50? Is this correct? 3. I am honorably discharged from the US Navy, so I do not need the training course. How is this handled within the online application? Do I need to scan my 214 to append?

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Best regards,

pwilson1204

You upload a copy of your DD214.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    I did not provide my social security number for the fingerprints or the license and my mental health check is already back. I honestly believe there is currently no correlation between not providing a SSN and being delayed.

Just my experience. YMMV.

10-4 sounds like business as usual..:thumbsup:

Exxis645

Aug 29, 2013
    Timonium, MD
    So everything now says complete.

The online app let me put in the 2 numbers for the livescan receipt. . Do you still need to mail it in or is that enough?

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    So everything now says complete.

The online app let me put in the 2 numbers for the livescan receipt. . Do you still need to mail it in or is that enough?

I was not asked to send in any receipt. I am not sure if it is required.

Keep in mind that if you submit the payment...you ARE submitting the application. Make sure you have everything right!

Exxis645

Aug 29, 2013
    Timonium, MD
    I was not asked to send in any receipt. I am not sure if it is required.

Keep in mind that if you submit the payment...you ARE submitting the application. Make sure you have everything right!

This is the line that confused me ... I'm assuming it is referring to people who are mailing all of it in .. but it doesn't say anything about online applicants.

"Important note for electronic fingerprint participants: after having your fingerprints submitted electronically you must forward the electronic fingerprint processing center receipt and completed application without delay. If you fail to submit the receipt and application in 72 hours, the application may be returned as live electronic fingerprint submission results are not maintained for extended periods."

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    It was buggy and remains poorly-worded but now seems to be working passably.

Everything on mine is listed as complete, I guess now I just wait for ... something.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    This is the line that confused me ... I'm assuming it is referring to people who are mailing all of it in .. but it doesn't say anything about online applicants.

"Important note for electronic fingerprint participants: after having your fingerprints submitted electronically you must forward the electronic fingerprint processing center receipt and completed application without delay. If you fail to submit the receipt and application in 72 hours, the application may be returned as live electronic fingerprint submission results are not maintained for extended periods."

From what I have read in other places on the forum, this is a left over. I don't know if there is a way other than online to apply for an HQL.

Exxis645

Aug 29, 2013
    Timonium, MD
    From what I have read in other places on the forum, this is a left over. I don't know if there is a way other than online to apply for an HQL.

That's music to my ears. (Eyes?) Everything reads complete.. didn't want it to get to the approval officer just to be rejected for lack of receipt. Haha

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    I think mistakes like that are really inexcusable, given the amount of time they've had to set this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom