• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    So in other words, they can take 8+ months to do their wizardry and randomly mail the disposition to you at any time, but by golly you better get that paperwork back in 7 days. No ifs ands or buts.

Great.

What happens if the family gift transferor is now (8 months later) helping earthquake victims in Bumsquatistan, far from mail, telegraph or carrier pigeon?

Or is there a reg. that says he has to stay in MD. 'til the white copy of the 77r comes back regardless of how long that takes?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Great.

What happens if the family gift transferor is now (8 months later) helping earthquake victims in Bumsquatistan, far from mail, telegraph or carrier pigeon?

Or is there a reg. that says he has to stay in MD. 'til the white copy of the 77r comes back regardless of how long that takes?

Like I said earlier, it would be quite entertaining to see the MSP attempt to enforce that section of the statute, after all the backlog baloney. Look at the processing rate fluctuations. If you tried to plan a trip around the weekly projections blacksmith101 was putting together, you might have had to wait until 2015 to book.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I just got off the telephone with Corporal Durkee and found out that my daughter's handgun gift transfer was approved on December 18, 2013. He said that my paperwork is most likely in a pile awaiting final dating and then it will be mailed out to me.

Yep, now you see what it is like for the licensed dealers and the ******** we go through with this mess.

Hmm...I wonder how far you'd get if you owed the MSP something within 7 days, took 2 months to actually do it, and sat on it for another 3, oh wait a minute, I mean 4 months.

FIFY

Funny that you should ask... The trooper who performed the transfer told me that when I get the paperwork back to get it signed, dated and returned to the MSP within the week or I may get a visit. :rolleyes:

Double standard.

Great.

Or is the actual location Bumphuquezie???

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Heds Up; A new backlog?

Before the 2013 backlog was cleared the MSP was keeping all new 2014 handgun reviews under the 7 day wait. And they were posting their progress on both the reduction of backlog and the fact there was no backlog for 2014 buys prominently on the Licensing Division web page.

Since they cleared the old backlog they have stopped reporting the numbers of completed background checks on their web page. Although there is a lack of data, are we now seeing the start of a new backlog?

This poster has been waiting 20 days and not gotten his gun:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3155566&postcount=41

This poster waited 11 days:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3156163&postcount=53

It looks like MSP is slipping back into their old ways even though they should have plenty of resources now since last years applications are no longer being worked on. It is doubly bad because each of these posters have a brand new HQL which means they have successfully passed the same background check within the past few weeks.

Have any Industry Partners noticed an increase in the time it is taking for applications to be processed at MSP?

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And the wait for NFA paperwork sign offs has steadily risen to almost 5 months. Is this indicative of a trend too?

I wonder if two different groups work on this stuff. If they had any extra staff after the backlog was cleared, you'd think those people could be used to reduce backlogs for NFA paperwork.

Apparently not the case.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Well, the good news is that if the FFL's use the 7/8 day release option - as confirmed to be within the law proven by last years court case - with a fresh HQL on the buyer, the state won't get any more cases to report to help build their case to change the statute.

If any cases slip through, it proves the state's HQL process is broken.

As time goes on and the HQL's are used for "next" purchases, we shall also see if the state is following their own statute under PSA 117.1 and updating the database as required.

Again, if any cases slip through, it proves the state's HQL process is broken.

Besides, didn't they get some extra discretionary funding with the shell casing money to help work on purchase not disapprovals?

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    And the wait for NFA paperwork sign offs has steadily risen to almost 5 months.

Do you have a reliable source for this info? I just got fingerprinted this morning and was going to head to Pikesville tomorrow for sign-off on a Form 1. I was expecting a 2 month wait. If its 5 months I am going to use my trust. My trust has a long title ("First Name - Middle Name - Last Name - Jr. - Revocable Living Trust dated Month/Day/Year") and I wanted to do Form 1 Individual so I can cut down on the engraving.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The reliable source is me. My last form 4 I received about 3 weeks ago took 4 months 3 weeks.

I have another that will be four months next week.

Is that reliable enough?

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    The reliable source is me. My last form 4 I received about 3 weeks ago took 4 months 3 weeks.

I have another that will be four months next week.

Is that reliable enough?

Doesn't get more reliable for that. I won't be the reliable source when someone asks the same question 5 months from now. Time to photocopy the trust again.

Knightfall

Oct 9, 2013
    Quick question, so I filled out the paperwork on a gift transfer on a handgun in December. It was from my father to me. Havent heard anything since.

So when I get the white paperwork back in the mail, I have to fill out the transfer date and send it back to the MSP?

Is that right?

I thought once you filled out the gift paperwork, you were done.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    This is getting f@#$ing ridiculous! I am going on a 10-day cruise soon. I'll have to tell my house sitter to keep an eye out for any mail form the MSP while I am gone.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is getting f@#$ing ridiculous! I am going on a 10-day cruise soon. I'll have to tell my house sitter to keep an eye out for any mail form the MSP while I am gone.

If the paperwork comes in while you are gone and they hold to the 7 day limit, this would make for an "interesting" situation.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    If the paperwork comes in while you are gone and they hold to the 7 day limit, this would make for an "interesting" situation.

It's my luck that I would return home and find my front door kicked in, a chalk outline of the house sitter, my dogs shot, and all firearms confiscated over a late 77r. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom