• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    What a farce. As usual, the law-abiding citizens are targeted with laws that will have zero effect on violent crime. Hey at least they will know where the legal guns are when they decide to confiscate them. The illegal guns and the felons who possess them??? Well....that's a whole different story.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/1/gun-reregistration-law-dc-goes-effect-2014/

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    Went through the re-registration process today. My registration cards will arrive in the mail in 10 days after they receive my payment.

Please note: if you go after the hours of the cashier, you will need to bring a personal check or money order. My $48, which covers the $35 FBI check and $13 for re-registration, could not be paid in cash or credit card, but they could accept checks and money orders.

Good luck everyone-

-greyjhu

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    This is interesting, i was registering a new firearm on Jan 2nd, and they did not mention this at all.
    They did require that i do a new finger print and FBI check. But they attributed to a new system and that any one who had not been finger printed since March 2013 be re-finger printed.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    RE-registering? What is the reason behind this? If they already have your info, why do you need to RE-register? What is the penalty for not complying?

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    I feel sorry for the old-timer who likes to go plinking who got his 22 years ago and doesn't stay up to date on the news or bs laws...

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Went through the re-registration process today. My registration cards will arrive in the mail in 10 days after they receive my payment.

Please note: if you go after the hours of the cashier, you will need to bring a personal check or money order. My $48, which covers the $35 FBI check and $13 for re-registration, could not be paid in cash or credit card, but they could accept checks and money orders.

Good luck everyone-

-greyjhu

So how do you feel about the re-registration effort?

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    Fishcheeks, like my experiences registering NEW firearms, you get your registration the day you are approved. For re-registration, I had to go through the whole fingerprinting/FBI check again (I think this is my 3rd or 4th time).

Robert, like many, I feel re-registration (and registration in general) is not a necessary process. But as a native Washingtonian, at least I can register and store firearms in DC which I was not able to register and own previously. Until I am told I can't keep the guns I have already registered, I can't complain much. Sure, I would love some firearms I can not own/store in DC (i.e. full auto); but maybe someday I'll move out.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Emily Miller had an article on this.

Basically it's just a way to infringe on someone's 2A right after DC got it's peepee smacked in Heller. Also an easy way to raise a million bucks. $48 x 300,000 estimated gun owners in DC.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Fishcheeks, like my experiences registering NEW firearms, you get your registration the day you are approved. For re-registration, I had to go through the whole fingerprinting/FBI check again (I think this is my 3rd or 4th time).

Robert, like many, I feel re-registration (and registration in general) is not a necessary process. But as a native Washingtonian, at least I can register and store firearms in DC which I was not able to register and own previously. Until I am told I can't keep the guns I have already registered, I can't complain much. Sure, I would love some firearms I can not own/store in DC (i.e. full auto); but maybe someday I'll move out.

Thanks.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    Fishcheeks, like my experiences registering NEW firearms, you get your registration the day you are approved.

Yup, that's the usual experience. FBI check and finger prints were only taken the first time (less than 3 yrs ago) until this week. They specifically stated that if you have not been finger printed and checked since March 2013 , then they got to do it for a new registration.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I just did this, it was not a problem.
    The wait for Mr Sikes was longer as any gun purchased has to be held for 10 days before being released by the FFL.

When I took my Mossberg in for registration, I also had to remove the pistol grip [I just added a poly youth stock to it]. I find the shotgun/rifle restrictions to be ridiculous , however I am happy that I have the chance to exercise my 2A rights in DC.

Shamefully, the criminal element will not respect these laws, however the Gun Recovery Unit of the DCMP is very active and vigorous in their efforts to remove illegal guns from the streets. Hopefully they will one day approve CCW , however with all the 'free' access in DC, and the political polarization we currently have, I believe this will not happen out of fear of 'extreme' elements taking their political objections to a dangerous and criminal level [beyond 'protest marches and terribly signs with misspelled words and grammar]

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    I went through it today and Officer Douglas was cheerful and helpful. The fingerprinting for about the umpteenth time was quick and even somewhat interesting to see the digital image of each one on the screen. They accept MC and Visa.

I don't see the point in reregistration but I guess it updates and computerizes their records.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm glad they make it so convenient. Nothing like infringing on your Rights with a smile.....

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    It has nothing g to do with updating and computerizing records. It has everything to do with making firearms ownership as cumbersome as humanly possible with the hope that some present owners will miss a re registration deadline and loose their firearms.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I did mine recently, also did a new registration for a rifle at the same time. It was kind of weird walking through downtown DC to the registration site with my gun its its hard case, but nobody seemed to notice. The staff was friendly, but I was a bit surprised at a couple of comments about the firearm. Its a bolt action that holds 4 shells, which I noted in the description. The officer looked kind of puzzled and said "isn't this a single shot?". Then he was just kind of looking over the gun and said "that's a real nice sight you have on there", in reference to the scope.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Emily Miller had an article on this.

Basically it's just a way to infringe on someone's 2A right after DC got it's peepee smacked in Heller. Also an easy way to raise a million bucks. $48 x 300,000 estimated gun owners in DC.

It is about 20,000 owners with 30,000 guns in DC as of Feb 2014.
    And DC firearms fees/police labor are pretty low. They seem to be revenue neutral.

Not defending the process, not at all, but I doubt there is any profit. It is also much easier than Ms. Miller makes it out to be. Her articles have probably stopped a lot of people would would be gun owners.

I just did this, it was not a problem.
    The wait for Mr Sikes was longer as any gun purchased has to be held for 10 days before being released by the FFL.

When I took my Mossberg in for registration, I also had to remove the pistol grip [I just added a poly youth stock to it]. I find the shotgun/rifle restrictions to be ridiculous , however I am happy that I have the chance to exercise my 2A rights in DC.

Shamefully, the criminal element will not respect these laws, however the Gun Recovery Unit of the DCMP is very active and vigorous in their efforts to remove illegal guns from the streets. Hopefully they will one day approve CCW , however with all the 'free' access in DC, and the political polarization we currently have, I believe this will not happen out of fear of 'extreme' elements taking their political objections to a dangerous and criminal level [beyond 'protest marches and terribly signs with misspelled words and grammar]

Just a couple of points of clarification. The FFL (sykes) does not need to hold the gun for 10 days. I have picked up a gun he has had for as little as 24 hours.

IN DC the 10 day waiting period is from the first recording of transaction. In other words if you order a firearm online on March 1st, and the seller gets it in stock March 5 and bills and ships it March 6, and Sykes gets it March 9, you can pick it up March 10th. You just need to bring in anything like an email confirmation or screenshot of the initial order showing March 1.

On long guns you do not need to go through the FFL at all. You stop at the firearms office for one minute and pick up DC registration form. You can buy in Md, or Va at Dicks or Bass or any gun shop. You pick out your gun, fill out the paperwork, on the 10th day after to the Firearms office. If you have bought a gun before you will be out of there in 45 mins to an hour with your card which you then use to pick up the gun.

On long guns DC uses old "assult weapons" ban, so ruger mini 14 standard is ok, ruger with pistol grip is not.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I did mine recently, also did a new registration for a rifle at the same time. It was kind of weird walking through downtown DC to the registration site with my gun its its hard case, but nobody seemed to notice. The staff was friendly, but I was a bit surprised at a couple of comments about the firearm. Its a bolt action that holds 4 shells, which I noted in the description. The officer looked kind of puzzled and said "isn't this a single shot?". Then he was just kind of looking over the gun and said "that's a real nice sight you have on there", in reference to the scope.

For new long guns you don't need to bring them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom