• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, who here knows there oils?
    I am looking for either Linseed Oil or Tung Oil to put onto my CMP Garand Stock (Its a CMP new stock).
    I also have a muzzleloader project where I need to apply to a new unfinished stock.

Any of these are real raw linseed oil?
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/search/?keyword=linseed

I'm also looking for a local place to find Tung Oil.

thx

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    have you tried your local shermin williams or duron paint stores? the stand alone one supplying contractors usually have it.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    You can get tung oil, teak oil, linseed oil (boiled is better for a wood finish), etc at Home Depot or Lowes in the paint department.

I'd suggest teak oil. More expensive, but it looks better, protects better, fully waterproofs, etc.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    20140303_114710_zpse7b9c084.jpg
    [/IMG]

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    If you are looking for either of the oils, double check the packaging. There are varnishes and stains that are sold as a tung oil stain and it can be different from actual tung oil. In my experience boiled linseed oil comes out just a bit darker than tung oil. I haven't worked with raw linseed oil. It might also be worth checking a place like Amazon, I bought some off there before.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Tung oil can be gotten at almost any hardware store - I think I got mine at Home Depot.

Has anyone here ever used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil on anything? I have some, but have yet to try it out.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    OP, have you have worked with either? Do you know BLO is going to take weeks to fully dry?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I used the Boiled Linseed Oil from wal mart. If you go to their paint/stain section they have these metal tins of acetone, alcohol, etc. They will have one that is boiled linseed oil. It even mentions gun stocks in the instructions.

I restored a Type 53 stock with it and was very pleased with how it turned out. It takes quite a while to dry, but I wasn't in any hurry.

Klean Strip is the brand
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Boiled-Linseed-Oil/17208798

If you are anti-Wal Mart I'm sure you can find it elsewhere...

Remember proper oily rag disposal :)

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I believe boiled linseed oil is better than raw linseed oil, because the raw stays tacky for a long while. Also, keep in mind the safety precautions in disposing of rags with linseed oil on them. They really do ignite on their own.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I believe boiled linseed oil is better than raw linseed oil, because the raw stays tacky for a long while. Also, keep in mind the safety precautions in disposing of rags with linseed oil on them. They really do ignite on their own.

Main reason I went with pto as I was in an apartment at time.

Also if you are looking for stain feibings leather dying is widely used on new M1 stock to get them closer to a USGI color.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have used BLO on a T53 rejuvination.
    Yup, Flamable if you pack your rags in the trash can.

I"m open for suggestions. My Muzzleloader stock and Garand don't need to use the same thing.

Not in a rush for muzzleloader to dry fast cause my outdoor range may be a month before its dry too :0

Tung oil will dry slow or faster than BLO or Pure Linseed?

Stu929, Won't be near Hagerstown anytime soon, thx

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    Blo looks awesome finished but it takes a lot of time and effort there's a saying something like recoat every day for a week once a week for a month and once a month for a lifetime. But it's a nice traditional finish as opposed to some of the birchwood Casey products like tru oil

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have never seen real, pure tung oil at Lowes or Home Depot. What they sell are "tung oil finishes", which I understand are varnishes containing only a trace of tung oil.

I got mine at http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oil.html

I have used hardware store BLO (boiled linseed oil) also. I agree it seems a tad darker. Good stuff, though, and they do sell it at WalMart.

I use tung oil on my Garands and other C&R rifles, partly because I have almost a quart of it. Tung oil was used for the initial treatment of USGI stocks, but BLO was authorized for maintainance.

If I were doing a muzzleloader stock, I would use BLO. It seems more traditional. "Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for a lifetime" is the old formula. I confess I probably never get past 6 or 8 coats, though.

If it doesn't dry, you probably used too much. For the first couple treatments at least, I cut my tung oil 50-50 with mineral spirits. Then I dribble a bit on with my fingers and rub very briskly with the heel of my hand until the wood gets hot.

I rub off any excess after 20 minutes or so, using paper towels. I tear the paper towels up and either flush them, or throw them in Lou45's trash on a dark and moonless night.

Main reason I went with pto as I was in an apartment at time.

Also if you are looking for stain feibings leather dying is widely used on new M1 stock to get them closer to a USGI color.

As far as I know, tung oil is just as subject to spontaneous combustion as BLO is, so be careful.

I use Fiebings Leather Dye also. Good stuff: Thin it with denatured alcohol. (DNA)

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have a few Milsurp rifles with oil finished stocks, (Garand, mausers...). I have never put anything on the stocks. Should I be using something like boiled linseed oil on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom