• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Picked up this Fulton Varmint AR many years ago and it's been sitting. Took it out to the AGC today for the first time in 5 years and it performed well. I'm betting it can do a lot better and was wondering what bullet weight would be best for 1 in 8 twist. Seems to like heavier bullets around 69 grains or so.
    20 shot 100 yard group today from bipod,

Attachments

• IMG_2262.jpg
      IMG_2262.jpg
      44.5 KB · Views: 170
    • IMG_2271.jpg
      IMG_2271.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 177
    • IMG_2269.jpg
      IMG_2269.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 169
    • IMG_2274.jpg
      IMG_2274.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 172

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Any high quality 0.224" bullet from a 40 gr. varminter to a 80gr VLD should shoot fine out of a 1/8 twist.

The concept of "overstabilizing" lighter/shorter bullets is bunk.

Here are some good ones:

Click me

and me

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I would try lighter varmint bullets. SMK do not open reliably at longer ranges > 300-400 yards on prairie dogs. They are very accurate and will kill out past 500 yards. But my buddy was shooting soft point varmint bullets and got spectacular kills - "prairie dog aerobics" & "bits and pieces" where ones I shot just flopped over with SMKs.

Good luck

Jerry

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I would try lighter varmint bullets. SMK do not open reliably at longer ranges > 300-400 yards on prairie dogs. They are very accurate and will kill out past 500 yards. But my buddy was shooting soft point varmint bullets and got spectacular kills - "prairie dog aerobics" & "bits and pieces" where ones I shot just flopped over with SMKs.

Good luck

Jerry

He's shooting it at paper. the word "varmint" in his post exists as the type of rifle the manufacturer marketed it as. not necessarily what he's shooting with it.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Any high quality 0.224" bullet from a 40 gr. varminter to a 80gr VLD should shoot fine out of a 1/8 twist.

The concept of "overstabilizing" lighter/shorter bullets is bunk.

Here are some good ones:

Click me

and me
    I have to agree.. my bull bbl 1:8 barrel sends 40gr and 55gr BT or Vmax bullets into a half min of angle hole at 100yds consistently.

The SMKs will shoot well at paper, I use that rifle for killing more than paper so it usually gets a polymer tipped projectile for small game that is explosive on impact and just as if not more accurate than the lighter SMK's. FMJs don't tend to shoot as well, though I have not really worked up a handload for any yet..

I can also send the heavier bullets into a sub moa group with little effort with that barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom