• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I just received this from MSI. It looks like people are going to take action.

1) Everyone is rightly upset by the new MSP form that will be required to buy a regulated firearm come August 1st.
    Here's a good overview of it:
    http://www.myguns.net/Articles/mental.htm

From what we are hearing, it is being handled. The Maryland firearms dealers are willing to do a lawsuit over the regs. I spoke today with Delegate Mike Smigiel, who has taken a personal interest in this. He thinks they may be able to dissuade the MSP from even implementing this new form. He also tells me that the NRA is picking up the ball and is preparing to do a lawsuit against the MSP if they do implement it. There is a danger in thinking that something is already taken care of ... it may or may not be. Stay tuned ... and don't hesitate to call your delegates and senators about this problem.

:goodpost:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Hey all--Imagine my surprise when I went to Bass Pro Shops today (7/14) to sign paperwork on my Glock 27 that just got delivered and the new mental health form was included. Being as it was WAY before the August 1st date of implementation, I made sure I voiced my displeasure with the new form and asked to speak to the hunting dept manager. After speaking with the manager and the firearms "buyer", I was told that Bass Pro "corporate" had decided to start with the new form early. As I had already waited three months to get this particular Glock 27 (internal gun lock built in) and I'm leaving the country for a couple of weeks, I caved in and filled out the form (SORRY!!!!). Well, by the time I had finished filling out all of the paperwork, the dept manager came back and told the guy I was with to tear up the mental health form because people had "written letters to the powers that be" and the new Bass Pro policy was NOT to include these new forms until Aug. 1st. Chalk one up for whoever was writing the letters!!! The guy I was filling out the paperwork with tore up the paperwork right in front of me. Very satisfying!!

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Hey all--Imagine my surprise when I went to Bass Pro Shops today (7/14) to sign paperwork on my Glock 27 that just got delivered and the new mental health form was included. Being as it was WAY before the August 1st date of implementation, I made sure I voiced my displeasure with the new form and asked to speak to the hunting dept manager. After speaking with the manager and the firearms "buyer", I was told that Bass Pro "corporate" had decided to start with the new form early. As I had already waited three months to get this particular Glock 27 (internal gun lock built in) and I'm leaving the country for a couple of weeks, I caved in and filled out the form (SORRY!!!!). Well, by the time I had finished filling out all of the paperwork, the dept manager came back and told the guy I was with to tear up the mental health form because people had "written letters to the powers that be" and the new Bass Pro policy was NOT to include these new forms until Aug. 1st. Chalk one up for whoever was writing the letters!!! The guy I was filling out the paperwork with tore up the paperwork right in front of me. Very satisfying!!

BOYCOTT BASS PRO!!!!

THEY SUCK!!!!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I will beg for forgiveness in advance-I will still use Bass Pro to purchase some of my firearms. I do have a reason. I travel extensively as a contractor and I charge all of my expenses to my Bass Pro Card. I get immediately reimbursed by my company(no interest)--so each year, I'm able to accumulate enough points to "purchase" a firearm for free. Gotta love the fringe benefits!!

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I will beg for forgiveness in advance-I will still use Bass Pro to purchase some of my firearms. I do have a reason. I travel extensively as a contractor and I charge all of my expenses to my Bass Pro Card. I get immediately reimbursed by my company(no interest)--so each year, I'm able to accumulate enough points to "purchase" a firearm for free. Gotta love the fringe benefits!!

Provided you understand the consequences of supporting a mega company that doesn't give a crap about the community and takes money away from the small local shops...many of which may close as a result of Bass Pro and their ******** policies.

My feeling is that I would rather support my LOCAL shop and keep them in business....if I don't then they may not be there someday.....a life full of Walmarts, Lowes, Circuit City's and Bass Pro's is not so palatable to me.

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    I also went in yesterday to fill out paperwork for a transfer and the new form was included. I did not bark at it, but he did say I could pick it up on the 23rd. Hopefully filling out this form, I will be able to pick up firearm in 7 days instead of the 3 wks I think I waited on the last one. (Note to self, MAIL OFF THE COLLECTORS FORM!!!!)

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I also went in yesterday to fill out paperwork for a transfer and the new form was included. I did not bark at it,

I did! WOOF!

I filled out pistol paperwork recently....the FFL included the form and I politely refused and informed him it wasn't required until 8/1.....he backed down.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I filled out paperwork for an AR-15 lower last weekend, no form. But this shop is awesome, I didn't expect them to pull that crap on me ;)

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Provided you understand the consequences of supporting a mega company that doesn't give a crap about the community and takes money away from the small local shops...many of which may close as a result of Bass Pro and their ******** policies.

My feeling is that I would rather support my LOCAL shop and keep them in business....if I don't then they may not be there someday.....a life full of Walmarts, Lowes, Circuit City's and Bass Pro's is not so palatable to me.

:thumbsup: i always get treated like shit at bass pro and no one there has a clue about anything, the only thing they are good for is to browse, I would much rather spend a couple extra dollars at a local gun shop and get better service and people who actually know something about firearms,fishing,hunting etc.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

I'm all for supporting my small local shop, but will still buy my ammo at BPS. Why?

1. BPS carries the ammo I need (my local shops don't)

2. BPS doesn't gouge the living bejeezes out of me for ammo, compared to the very rare times when my local shop actually has what I want. Local shop = $19.99 is way, way too much for a box of UMC .45's, and the stuff my local usually carries (Sellier & Bellot, Liberty, etc...) doesn't shoot well in my Gold Match.

I will still buy guns from my local shop because their prices are competitive (although still a little high).

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So, back on track to the subject of the Form 77-R-3. Is the phantom NRA legal challenge to be mounted, or as usual will NRA stand for Never Really Around in MD?

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Delegate Kevin Kelly (D) comes out swinging:

http://gazette.net/stories/071307/polinew221320_32379.shtml

Friday, July 13, 2007
    Gun buyers will have to waive their privacy rights
    State police will require buyers to release mental heath data after July 31

by Margie Hyslop | Staff Writer

Anyone who applies to buy a handgun in Maryland after July 31 will have to allow agencies to tell police whether he or she has suffered from mental illness, has a history of violent behavior or has been confined for more than 30 consecutive days to a mental health facility.

Maryland State Police said it will deny handgun purchases to anyone who does not sign a release authorizing health departments in Maryland or other states to disclose the information.

Police will use the information to determine whether potential purchasers are eligible to have a regulated firearm.

The move, announced in a letter to gun dealers dated June 21, comes early in the administration of State Police Superintendent Terrence Sheridan, who took the helm of the department in June.

Gov. Martin O’Malley ‘‘supports it as a step to ensure that people who purchase guns in Maryland are of sound mind,” said Sasha Leonhardt, a spokesman for O’Malley (D).

The change does not violate privacy rights of applicants, but simply requires the information to be easily available, Leonhardt said.

James Purtilo, publisher of the gun rights newsletter Tripwire, contends the action is not needed because Maryland already requires such commitments to be reported to police. Purtilo said it is illegal because it goes beyond what a 1996 law allows police to ask.

‘‘It’s too bad they take this step without authority, under the guise of trying to solve a nonproblem,” Purtilo said.

Further, Purtilo said, police will be hard-pressed to check all agencies for information within the five-day window for acting on an application.

‘‘Maybe they should talk about an education program for doctors, not new restrictions on gun owners at the point of sale,” he said.

Del. Kevin Kelly said Maryland law already addresses gaps that let the serious mental illness of the shooter in April 16’s Virginia Tech massacre slip unnoticed by authorities who could have denied him permission to buy a handgun.

‘‘Before the new superintendent of state police goes on a crusade, he should be aware that he may be leading his boss, the governor, into a political quagmire,” said Kelly (D-Dist. 1B) of Cumberland, a lawyer and member of the Judiciary Committee.

Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Chairman Brian E. Frosh said he does not share opponents’ concerns or believe the extra requirement abridges any rights.

‘‘I think it’s a very good thing ... people who are adjudicated to be dangerous to themselves or others should have additional scrutiny,” said Frosh (D-Dist. 16) of Bethesda.

Frosh said there have been questions about whether such information, ‘‘even if collected, is used at point of sale.”

Maryland State Police search 14 databases when they do background checks on gun buyers, police spokesman Greg Shipley said in April after the Virginia Tech shootings. But medical information is confidential and usually not available, Shipley said.

Tips that a would-be purchaser has mental health problems often have to come from concerned friends or family, Shipley said. If police are alerted, they hold the gun buyer’s application, he said.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Chairman Brian E. Frosh said he does not share opponents’ concerns or believe the extra requirement abridges any rights.

We'll see how Senator "They're nuts" Frosh, the attorney, feels when it's one of his clients affected by this law. I'm surprised that Joe "Fighting for My Clients Through My Position on the Judiciary Committee" Vallario hasn't weighed in on this yet.

Delegate Kelley may have just elevated himself to the September Legislator of the Month category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom