• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sean415

Unrepentant HKholic
    May 28, 2013
    I could be receiving a JP 15 rifle in a trade and I'm unsure of the legality of the weapon in this state. Could anyone help me out with this and possibly an explanation. I tried to look it up but I'm getting conflicting answers.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.2_JP15.php

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i (va resident) just got a jp ctr02 which is very similar to the jp15, and the dealer i used for the transfer noted it wouldn't be legal in MD. he mentioned why but frankly i wasn't paying attention as it wasn't relevant to me.

the heavier of their two barrel options is what jp calls a medium contour barrel and i 'think' MD has some hbar requirement.

i'd call the ffl you'll be using and just see what they say.

Sean415

Unrepentant HKholic
    May 28, 2013
    Yeah thats what I thought but I'm always receiving conflicting responses. Maybe I'll call an FFL in the morning to see what they say

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I would say no, but ask your FFL transferee... the Supermatch barrels are turned down under the handguard, so I suspect that will not meet the HBAR requirement if it is a 223 cal rifle.

I have a JP barrel on one of my builds, but it's a 308..

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    No. The medium and light barrels are both .650 under the handguard. The medium gets heavier at the gas block.

This.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think there is a single JP barrel that is not .650 under the handguard to accommodate JP Rifle's thermal dissipator.

I have been drooling over JP Rifles since 2004. Still have not built one, but I bought a matched CTR-02 upper/lower in August 2013 and slapped a PSA complete upper on the thing prior to October 1, 2013. Going to modify it so it ends up being a complete CTR-02. Hoping Santa helps with that.

OP - if you still want to go through with the trade, just have the current owner swap out the JP barrel for a barrel that is .750 throughout. There are plenty of awesome HBAR barrels out there.

Sean415

Unrepentant HKholic
    May 28, 2013
    Thank you all for the advise and explanations. I appreciate it. I'll probably pass on the trade. Too much of a pain for a rifle I really wasn't looking for. I have my eyes set on the jp lrp-07 or an HK mr762

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom